Author Topic: Come and see My pictures Tell us about your hobbies!  (Read 108189 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Come and see My Aquarium!! Tell us about your hobbies!
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2006, 03:09:35 am »
Another example of never knowing what will be in a thread til I read it!  Thanks for all the fish! :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2006, 04:34:23 am »
I eventually can post on tho this!!!

Yeehawww!!!!

Loving the pics Geri. Specially like the clown fish and Bullseye.

My hobby is that I play a cornet in a Brass band. Think Brassed Off in Scotland rather than Salvation Army or USA Marching Band style.

This year I went for the first time to a thing called Whit Friday. A load of people from bands across Scotland made one 'Scottish Band' and went down for the weekend to play at this. Great fun, and plenty of booze. Def going back next year!

From the whit friday website......

Often described as 'the greatest free show on Earth', the Saddleworth & District Whit Friday Brass Band Contests take place every year on the afternoon and evening of Whit Friday - 1st June in 2007.

From the earliest recorded contest in 1884, the event has grown in popularity. Last year well over a hundred brass bands participated in some twenty different contests at venues scattered around the moorland villages and towns on the western edge of the Pennines. All of the contests are open-air, many in delightful surroundings. The area has a very strong tradition of brass band music. In the weeks before Whit Friday, the sounds of rehearsals echo across the hillsides from the various band rooms and village halls. There are thriving bands in some of the tiniest villages. And the best bands are world class.

This year's prize fund is £28,700.

The contests are open to all-comers. So the local youth bands get to match their skills against the top bands of the country. For bandsmen, the dash from contest to contest makes for an exhilarating (though exhausting) evening. See the comments in the guest book. This is a major event in the brass band calendar and bands travel the length of the country to participate, some even turning up from overseas.

It is possible to look in at several contests during the evening. But with over 100 bus-loads of bandsmen about, with many of the roads closed to traffic and the inevitable parking problems, it pays not to be over-ambitious. 

and some pf my pciture which give you a flavour of the day!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 04:36:56 am by kelda_shelton »
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2006, 12:49:13 pm »
Another example of never knowing what will be in a thread til I read it!  Thanks for all the fish! :)

Thanks for visiting Clarissa!

yes I started off with fish, but I do hope this thread will be a place where people tell us about all sorts of interesting things that they like to do. Even the smallest hobbie can be really interesting. and could even give someone else an idea if they are looking to start a hobbie.

I figure with so many people from all over the world in this small but growing town, there has to be some really interesting pass times out there. 8)
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2006, 01:15:43 pm »
kelda,
that sounds (and looks)  like such a blast!  Did you take the cornet all through school?

Those Scottish really know how to party anyways!

My 15 year old daughter has taken the violin through school. This will be her eighth year. She has represented our school orchestra in alot of local, county and  state competitions.  She has wanted to quit it alot of times ( too much work she says), but that is one area that i have insisted on. I feel that it is a gift to know how to read and play music. I tell her everyday that i always hear adults say they wish they had learned to play an instrument when they were a kid. That it will be something that she will always have.

I always liked the cornet. We bought my older daughter a beautiful cornet when she was in the middleschool (5th-8th grade) She didn't take to it. she said it was too hard. But now she plays the keyboard and some guitar, writes songs and sings in her own band.  And when my younger one is ready she is going to have her join. It will be kinda of a Dixie chick thing!  8) :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:36:50 pm by Arad-3 »

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2006, 06:05:14 pm »
Here are some fall pictures I took in my home town yesterday.

This is the town hall. Voting, tickets, family court, town meetings  etc.

This is the center of our town. Every thursday during the summer they put on outdoor concerts from there. Santa also sits there at Christmas and greats the children.

this is just one of many church's in town.

this is my red maple in my front yard. i just thought it looked like it wanted it's picture taken!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2006, 01:44:53 am »
Kelda and Geri -

Those pictures are wonderful!

Kelda: Scotland looks like a beautiful country. I have been to England but not Scotland. It looks like everyone was having a wonderful time during Whit Friday!  :D

Geri: your little town looks beautiful. It looks very "Northeast" and "New England". I love the colors. You did an excellent job taking those pictures. I really like the picture of your town hall and of your tree.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2006, 04:51:10 am »
Hey guys..

Yes.. I started cornet through my school in Primary 6 - so I was 9 years old - my class got a test to see our musical ability - is that sound higher or lower, louder or quiter that sort of thing.. and I was one of the class that scored the highest so I got the chance to begin playing.. 16 years later I'm still doing it. Its great fun and I have so many very good friends through it. The social side for me has always been an important part of it. I'm actually off to Prestatyn in wales this weekend with the same bunch of people - there is a band competition that takes place in Pontins every year.. (Pontins is a chain of holidays camps in the Uk - think Kellermans (Dirty Dancing)  for this time period!) I'm not playing but going for the social element!! 

Looking forward to seeing your pics Geri.. but I'm on the net at work so only see the red crosses at the moment!

David - the pictures are actually in England. The kilts & flags were just to ensure that everyone knew we were the Scottish represenatives!!! Saddleworth district is a country area not too far from manchester... lovely part of the country... but Scotland is generally better for scenery!! Although of course I'm biased. I did the West Highland Way back in July... (98 miles walk from Glasgow - Fortwilliam - taking you along Loch Lomond and through some of the most beautiful areas of Scotland ) have a look at my pictures from that.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=3289.msg58600#msg58600

If anyone is then interested to visit Scotland - remember I have a spare room and it is always available at mine....!! I'd love to see you!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 04:56:11 am by kelda_shelton »
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2006, 07:22:48 am »
Gerri, just looked at your pics of from your lovely town....heres a rotunda similar to yours, which is in the town gardens in our town....my son was married there last saturday

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline acoustic man

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2006, 05:29:44 pm »

happy halloween geri
"Night after night he'll treat you right baby it's the guitar man"
www.myspace.com/tulliodellaquila

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2006, 05:48:49 pm »
Oh!  How cute! Thank you!