Author Topic: Small Town USA: the Good the Bad and the Ugly  (Read 18852 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Small Town USA: the Good the Bad and the Ugly
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2006, 10:59:38 am »
I went to a small town recently... Casper, Wyoming! Fortunately for me, I met only enlightened people. But earlier in the week, Pete Tannen and Adrian DelMar encountered some people at a discussion group who didn't like Annie Proulx's portrayal of small-town Wyoming and voiced some prejudiced remarks. I wasn't there, so you'll have to read their account of it over on the Social Events forum. On the Sunday morning before Pete and I left Casper, we went to the Unitarian Church where the service was devoted to a discussion of marriage rights for all. Afterwards, Pete and I mingled and had coffee with the congregation, so I came away with a very positive view of small-town Wyoming!!

p.s. Though Casper is one of the largest towns in Wyo. it still qualifies as a small town in my book!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2006, 10:06:09 pm »
I have a good story about a small town. It happened right here in Indiana too!  :)

I'm not sure if you all remember Ryan White. He was a little boy from Indiana who contracted AIDS through a contaminated blood transfusion. The city of Kokomo, Indiana chased Ryan and his family our of town on a rail, but they were given a very warm welcome in Cicero, Indiana.

Kokomo is not a small town, but it certainly isn't a big city either. Cicero is a small town. I'm not sure of the population, but my guess is somewhere around 1500 people. This all happened when AIDS was still a relatively new disease and many people were very fearful of it and of those infected by it. It always amazed me that such a small central Indiana town managed to see a sick, scared and very sad little boy, rather than the disease slowly killing him. One would have expected even more hate and prejudice from a small town like Cicero.

He died about 15 years ago, and his funeral was held right here in Indianapolis. At his funeral, Sir Elton John played "Candle In The Wind" on the piano.  :'(

Edit: You can read about Ryan White here  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_White
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 10:10:56 pm by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2006, 04:41:54 am »
wow.. I hadn't heard of Ryan White.

Just shows the 'small town mentality' is not generic..
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2006, 11:15:52 am »

Does this Minister even comprehend what he's just said? In his logic, 2 consenting adults indulging in something 'wrong' that only affects the 2 of them are worse than someone who murders someone and destroys families and puts fear into everyones lives??

geesh.

That is a very good point, and it sort of echos what David said about Ryan White, the notion of homosexuality is so alien to people that it becomes disproportional in their minds. I think with the passage of time, seeing us as just regular people, a new perspective will come. In the meanwhile I am just patient, remembering what the founder of that religion once said: "Father forgive them, they know not what they do."
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."