Author Topic: "Give 'em hell" line  (Read 7350 times)

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
"Give 'em hell" line
« on: April 05, 2006, 11:10:52 am »
This has been discussed since John (jmmgallagher) came upon this lovely revelation when viewing his DVD a few weeks ago:  Just before the first tent scene, when a drunk Ennis says "I'm gonna go ride out there to the sheep", it was discovered (and quite surprisingly and humourously to many) that Jack responds, "Give 'em hell!"

Well, I've paid particular attention to this during my subsequent viewings (all in the theatre) since then, and let me throw this out there:  to me, it sounds like it's Ennis who says "Give 'em hell!", as if he's continuing the thought he started about riding out the sheep.

Now, I hate to start a "Sorry" vs. "S'allright" thingy, but I wanted to throw it out.  So all of you with DVDs, please watch it again and discuss!!!!  And straighten me out of I'm wrong!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 11:13:16 am by amh625 »
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

EnnisDelMar

Re: "Give 'em hell" line
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 11:12:56 am »
It is Ennis, he says "I'm gonna go up to the sheep now.. give em hell."

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 11:17:39 am »
According to the subtitles it is Jack that says 'Give em hell' but who knows....

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 11:42:33 am »
when there's a conversation, you see [Ennis] or [Jack] about the line. and the line floats toward the side of the screen that the character is on. In this scene there's no name above the line, only that it sit toward Jack's side of the screen. That's the only indication that Jack is saying the line.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 01:27:48 pm »
I just watched 3 times and I'm almost (90%) positive it's Jack. 
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 01:58:42 pm »
I'll have to look again but I also thought it was Ennis. It just sounds more like him.

What I like even more is how closely they seem to be lying together when they get up after being passed out. I've always thought they were pretty close but in brighter viewings later on in my run of them, it seems like their legs must be touching. Makes me think that Ennis getting THAT drunk was partly due to the attraction he was feeling for Jack, and how he did that to cope with it. Kind of OT for this thread, but viewpoints are welcome and respected.

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 02:07:06 pm »
I'll have to look again but I also thought it was Ennis. It just sounds more like him.

What I like even more is how closely they seem to be lying together when they get up after being passed out. I've always thought they were pretty close but in brighter viewings later on in my run of them, it seems like their legs must be touching. Makes me think that Ennis getting THAT drunk was partly due to the attraction he was feeling for Jack, and how he did that to cope with it. Kind of OT for this thread, but viewpoints are welcome and respected.

I definitely think it's true. I think he stayed and drank with Jack because he enjoyed spending time with him, kept not wanting to leave Jack's company so soon.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 03:50:13 pm »
Kind of OT for this thread, but viewpoints are welcome and respected.

Jenny, *anything* about Ennis and Jack getting cozy are *never* off-topic as far as I'm concerned!!!!!  >:D
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 05:22:29 pm »
I'm in the Jack camp. He is barely visible in the dark and as Ennis says he's gotta get back to the sheep you see Jack move and the sound comes from that part of the scene-as Starboardlight says. If you really BLAST the sound, it becomes much clearer who's voice it is and where from where it's coming. And, if you listen closely you might notice that Ennis is minutely vocalizing during the "give em hell line"

Heathen

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 06:29:44 pm »
Howdy, all--

I am 99.9% sure that it is Jack that says "Give 'em hell". I first heard this line myself on the DVD.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:33:39 pm by moremojo »