Author Topic: Your antipodes  (Read 8894 times)

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
Your antipodes
« on: October 26, 2006, 03:01:02 am »
We were chatting about who is furthest from Wyoming, and I remembered I have made an antipodes map. As you can see, only southern South America / South East Asia and New Zealand / parts of Spain, and a few other places (eg Pacific islands) really have antipodes, everything else is rather neatly opposed by ocean. So only people in Argentina and Chile could really "dig a hole through to China" - except that they couldn't, the molten core would gush out the hole.

(The closer you are to the antipodes of Wyoming, the further you are from Wyoming, so someone in Perth or Capetown is further from Wyoming than me.)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 03:09:01 am by Shuggy »

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
Re: Your antipodes
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 04:45:59 pm »
New Zealanders probably know our antipodes better than other places, first of course because we have some, but also because there used to be a map in the school atlases showing just New Zealand overlaid with an upside down Spain.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 05:37:22 pm »
Hey Shuggy!

Thanks for the antipodes visual - I'm sometimes spatially challenged, so this helps a lot!  :)

Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:47:29 pm »
I've now made a version for T-shirts, etc. and they're at http://www.cafepress.com/ahua/2090491.
But someone's posted one ex Wikipedia which is transparent, and that's so much better. Damn, I'll have to redo it.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 03:09:12 am »
So apparently the antipode for Indiana is the Pacific ocean.

It's a good thing I never tried to dig that hole to China when I was a kid.... I would have drowned.  ;)

Thanks for posting this Shuggy! It's really interesting.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 03:33:51 am »
So apparently the antipode for Indiana is the Pacific ocean.
No, the Indian Ocean - the one on the other side goes the other way, you see.

It's a good thing I never tried to dig that hole to China when I was a kid..
Exactly what I say on my shop page!

.. I would have drowned.  ;)
Cheer up, you would have boiled in molten iron first.

Thanks for posting this Shuggy! It's really interesting.  :)

Thanks!

injest

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 08:32:20 am »
random thought

It is startling to me that primitive man knew so much about the physical world and translated it into myth and religion.

One of the earliest forms of 'hell' was the pit of fire in the center of the Earth (or underground) How did they know that the middle of the planet was molten lava? I know they saw volcanos and all but seems a big jump to take a local event...a mountain that rained out fire and figure out the fire was all underneath their feet...

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 04:03:50 pm »
random thought

It is startling to me that primitive man knew so much about the physical world and translated it into myth and religion.

One of the earliest forms of 'hell' was the pit of fire in the center of the Earth (or underground) How did they know that the middle of the planet was molten lava? I know they saw volcanos and all but seems a big jump to take a local event...a mountain that rained out fire and figure out the fire was all underneath their feet...
Well, here in NZ we have extensive geothermal regions - mainly hot water and mud, and no myth of Hell. (We do have an earthquake god, Ruaumoko, a baby suckling at the Earth Mother's breast, who was taken underground when her children turned her over so she was not tormented by the sight of the Sky Father, whom they had separated from her.)

What's the story in Hawai`i, where molten lava is relatively common? What makes you think they are connected? While the magma/lava glows red when it comes out, it doesn't radiate any light anywhere when its in situ. Hell was traditionally burning sulphur. Someone calculated that Heaven was hotter (seven times something or other) than Hell (limited by the properties of sulphur).

Primitive people very much went by appearances. If it moved, it was alive. Overhead was something that looked like a dome studded with stars, so that what it was. What was on the other side? Aha! Heaven! And Hell would be diametrically opposed.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 04:16:41 pm »
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 05:16:38 pm »
Well, here in NZ we have extensive geothermal regions - mainly hot water and mud, and no myth of Hell. (We do have an earthquake god, Ruaumoko, a baby suckling at the Earth Mother's breast, who was taken underground when her children turned her over so she was not tormented by the sight of the Sky Father, whom they had separated from her.)

What's the story in Hawai`i, where molten lava is relatively common? What makes you think they are connected? While the magma/lava glows red when it comes out, it doesn't radiate any light anywhere when its in situ. Hell was traditionally burning sulphur. Someone calculated that Heaven was hotter (seven times something or other) than Hell (limited by the properties of sulphur).

Primitive people very much went by appearances. If it moved, it was alive. Overhead was something that looked like a dome studded with stars, so that what it was. What was on the other side? Aha! Heaven! And Hell would be diametrically opposed.

???

That flew over my head so fast it parted my hair.

You lost me on that one Shuggy. I'm not a very intellectual person.

Plato, I'm not.

I wish I could understand it because it sounds very interesting.  :)

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 05:55:30 pm »
???

That flew over my head so fast it parted my hair.

You lost me on that one Shuggy. I'm not a very intellectual person.

Plato, I'm not.

I wish I could understand it because it sounds very interesting.  :)

Sorry 'bout that. I'll take it in more detail.
injest wondered how primitive people knew it was hot underneath the earth, giving rise to their myth of Hell. I didn't think they were well connected, since New Zealand's indigenous people, the Maori, are familiar with heat coming from the earth and don't have a myth of Hell. (Instead they have an earthquake god, called Ruaumoko, who is a baby suckling at the Earth Mother's breast. He had been taken underground (under her) when her children turned her over to stop her from being tormented by the sight of the Sky Father. She and he had been locked in a (sexual) embrace, but their children didn't like being trapped between them, so they had separated him from her.)

I wondered what the story is in Hawai`i, where molten lava is relatively common. I doubted that myths of Hell were closely connected with actual underground heat. (Hell derives from the Jewish Sheol, and I'm not even sure if that is a hot place.)

"While the magma/lava glows red when it comes out, it doesn't radiate any light anywhere when its in situ." I was thinking that we think of Hell as being an open space, lit by fires (like inside Mt Doom!), but under the earth is hot and dark.

Hell was traditionally thought to be full of lakes of burning sulphur - I think that could be because burning sulphur is sticky, so it gives you very nasy burns. Some skeptical scientist calculated that Heaven was hotter (seven times something or other - going by some biblical verse) than Hell, whose highest possible termperature is limited by the properties of sulphur."

Primitive people very much went by appearances. For example, if anything moved, they thought it must be alive. So when they saw that overhead was something that looked like a dome studded with stars, they decided that what it was. What was on the other side of the shell of the dome? Aha! It must be Heaven! And so they would conclude that Hell was in a diametrically opposite position, under the earth.

injest

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 09:51:13 pm »
sorry didn't mean to hijack your Antipod thread...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 11:15:50 pm »
injest wondered how primitive people knew it was hot underneath the earth, giving rise to their myth of Hell. I didn't think they were well connected, since New Zealand's indigenous people, the Maori, are familiar with heat coming from the earth and don't have a myth of Hell. (Instead they have an earthquake god, called Ruaumoko, who is a baby suckling at the Earth Mother's breast. He had been taken underground (under her) when her children turned her over to stop her from being tormented by the sight of the Sky Father. She and he had been locked in a (sexual) embrace, but their children didn't like being trapped between them, so they had separated him from her.)

I wondered what the story is in Hawai`i, where molten lava is relatively common. I doubted that myths of Hell were closely connected with actual underground heat. (Hell derives from the Jewish Sheol, and I'm not even sure if that is a hot place.)

"While the magma/lava glows red when it comes out, it doesn't radiate any light anywhere when its in situ." I was thinking that we think of Hell as being an open space, lit by fires (like inside Mt Doom!), but under the earth is hot and dark.

Hell was traditionally thought to be full of lakes of burning sulphur - I think that could be because burning sulphur is sticky, so it gives you very nasy burns. Some skeptical scientist calculated that Heaven was hotter (seven times something or other - going by some biblical verse) than Hell, whose highest possible termperature is limited by the properties of sulphur."

Primitive people very much went by appearances. For example, if anything moved, they thought it must be alive. So when they saw that overhead was something that looked like a dome studded with stars, they decided that what it was. What was on the other side of the shell of the dome? Aha! It must be Heaven! And so they would conclude that Hell was in a diametrically opposite position, under the earth.

Wow! I never thought about it like that before Shuggy! Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me!  :D

injest

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 09:21:30 am »

maybe hell was not a good example...and I am not talking about primitive as in the Maori..I was thinking more of very ancient people. Cavemen and such (before written history)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 09:29:00 am by injest »

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 04:23:05 pm »
maybe hell was not a good example...and I am not talking about primitive as in the Maori..I was thinking more of very ancient people. Cavemen and such (before written history)

Well I don't know if cave men had a myth of Hell. As I say, I think the myth of a hot Hell with devils is a Christian invention, helped by artists like Bosch - quite recent. These things get grafted on to each other, in the same way that no image of Santa's sleigh would now be complete without a red-nosed reindeer.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 12:43:15 am »
I've now made a version for T-shirts, etc. and they're at http://www.cafepress.com/ahua/2090491.
But someone's posted one ex Wikipedia which is transparent, and that's so much better. Damn, I'll have to redo it.
So now I have and it looks like this. Someone's already bought two t-shirts of it. I hope they like what they get, because it may not be quite what they asked for.

And I like the idea so much of a dog wearing a T-shirt with a map showing it where to dig that I've moved that one to the top:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 12:49:06 am by Shuggy »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 02:26:32 am »
So now I have and it looks like this. Someone's already bought two t-shirts of it. I hope they like what they get, because it may not be quite what they asked for.

And I like the idea so much of a dog wearing a T-shirt with a map showing it where to dig that I've moved that one to the top:

Is he your dog Shuggy?? He's adorable!!!

What a cutie!!  :D

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 02:35:34 am »
Is he your dog Shuggy?? He's adorable!!!

What a cutie!!  :D
Don't let my husband hear that. He's always on at me to get a dog. No, he's a generic dog: he models that T-shirt with any image you upload and select "Dog T-shirt" as one of the products you want to sell it on.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 02:57:42 am »

I know who just bought the those 2 T-shirts and she'll be very happy with them!  No Worries Shuggy  :D
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 03:14:29 am »
I know who just bought the those 2 T-shirts and she'll be very happy with them!  No Worries Shuggy  :D
Thank you. My best wishes to her. I think that was the fastest sale I ever made. I wish I knew the secret of bringing the right people to my pages. I tried Google advertising but it had no visilble effect on sales. I am no entrepreneur, and when I try I just look silly. Yesterday someone was talking to me about business models for publicising and bringing people to another of my creations, and it just made my head hurt. My forte is creating the images.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 03:18:43 am »

That's wonderful!!

That was a good idea to have the cute dog model your tee shirt Shuggy.

I have heard that people are more likely to purchase something if they see a child or an animal in the commercial or sales ad!  :)

Actually, these shirts would make a good Christmas present, wouldn't they? Everyone loves a tee shirt and these shirts are informative too!  :D

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 04:09:48 am »
That was a good idea to have the cute dog model your tee shirt Shuggy.
It wasnt my idea. If you go to http://www.cafepress.com/ahua/2090491 you'll see how cafepress.com applies the same image to pictures of different items.

I have heard that people are more likely to purchase something if they see a child or an animal in the commercial or sales ad!  :)
And Coppertone had both, and some nudity too, for those who were that way inclined.

Actually, these shirts would make a good Christmas present, wouldn't they? Everyone loves a tee shirt and these shirts are informative too!  :D
Thanks. I think a lot of my things would be good gifts, except perhaps the political statements at The Wero Shop that people would prefer to make themselves.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 04:15:16 am »
It wasnt my idea. If you go to http://www.cafepress.com/ahua/2090491 you'll see how cafepress.com applies the same image to pictures of different items.

Shuggy.... I appreciate your honesty but I was paying you a compliment!

Just accept it honey!  :)

You don't need to explain anything to me.  :D

I love your shirt!

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 04:18:35 am »
Shuggy.... I appreciate your honesty but I was paying you a compliment!

Just accept it honey!  :)

You don't need to explain anything to me.  :D

I love your shirt!

Aw shucks, I accept it then.