Author Topic: The "controversial" Michael J. Fox ad for stem-cell research  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
The "controversial" Michael J. Fox ad for stem-cell research
« on: October 26, 2006, 10:55:16 am »
Newsweek columnist Jonathan Alter provides a beautiful defense to the ad, and the page includes a video of the ad in question.  Check it out here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15413680/site/newsweek/

If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: The "controversial" Michael J. Fox ad for stem-cell research
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 08:09:44 am »
oooh! thanks - I've beeen reading the reports on this on the BBC news website with interest and will be interested to see the advert when I get home and can open..

Personally I agree with stem cell research for the use in fighting diseases like this. Cloning - I don't agree with but I feel it will make a large difference to people's lives if this could be used for research.

I have an eldery relative with Parkinsons and she has just been moved into a care home. Her husband has looked after her for years but he just can't cope anymore. Its heartbreaking that he's had to move in with his daughter and doesn't want to see his wife very often becasue he's just come to the end of his tether.  He loves her but he's in his late 80's and is beginning to hate her. That's not a situation I want to ever be in.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 08:13:14 am by kelda_shelton »
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 07:58:01 pm »
Impish..thanks for the link.  I was able to read the review, but the ad would not load.  However, I did see part of it on the news yesterday, along with that idiot Limbaugh's comments.  He is the most insensitive person I have ever seen, and he should be publicly sensured for this outrageous attach on Michael J. Fox.  I have a friend in advanced stage of Parkinsons, and believe me, Mr. Fox was not acting.  Stem cell research is an important issue, not only for this disease, but for many others as well.  Those who are against stem cell research need to understand what it can do for medical science, and that it in no way "kills babies".  There is so much we could accomplish for the human race if there was acceptance for stem cell research, umbilical cord blood research, and much more.  No one seems to be critical of a human cadaver being disected for medical research, so why is it so wrong to use aborted and still-born fetuses?  I strongly support any medical research whose outcome is to benefit the human race........and we are not playing God as the bodies are already dead, and their essence, spirit, soul, whatever you wish to call it, has departed that vessel for other planes of existence.   

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 08:44:49 pm »
What an excellent and well considered piece of journalism, and I agree with every word of it. If
Limbaugh himself enjoys good health he would do well to think before he starts shooting his mouth off (I'm from the UK and know diddly-squat about him, so I don't know if this is the case). From a personal perspective, I've had Type 1 diabetes since I was a teenager and have encountered much ignorance, prejudice and downright insensitivity as a result. It's a tough condition to live with - injecting myself 4-6 times a day in my stomach is the easy bit, believe me. Do I want rid of it, and would I be prepared to do almost anything to be rid of it? You bet your ass I would.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 08:11:06 am by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 08:59:22 pm »
Hi saucycobblers...I have Type 2 diabetes and inject 2 times daily, and I completely understand what you go through.  I am very outspoken when it comes to unintelligent and insensitive remarks about diabetes and any other medical condition.  We do not have control of the cards we were dealt in life, and we have to live with it, as does Mr. Fox and my friend, and the other millions who have some sort of medical condition. 

Rush Limbaugh is a radio talk show host whose most recent piece of public exposure was illegal use of prescription drugs obtained illegally.  He is a complete idiot (I can't use the language I would like to in this site), and unfortunately, he is not the only one in that category.  The best we can do is just ignore him, until he does something really stupid like verbally attacking Mr. Fox.  It just makes me furious....

Doug

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 09:27:59 pm »
Hi Doug. It make me furious too. I try as much as I can to educate people about diabetes, but it's mostly an uphill struggle. And then public figures pass insensitive comments like this and much hard work can be undone - even if most recognise him to be the f**kwit he obviously is, these comments still add to the public perception of the condition. And on a personal level, MJF doesn't need any extra crap to deal with on top of what he already has on his plate. He has thus far dealt with Parkinson's with dignity and extraordinary bravery - qualities Limbaugh could only wish he himself had. This comment must have been devastating to him. Many, many years ago I was accused of being no better than a drug-addict when I was injecting myelf discretely at my desk, the only difference being, apparently, that my drugs were on presription. All in the name of a 'joke'. I still remember the anger and red-faced embarrassment nearly 15 years later. Grrrrrr... I feel right worked up now! >:( :-\

Nicky x
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 10:41:17 pm »
This, from the author of the piece about Limbaugh's comment, says it all:

...his astonishingly insensitive remark

RIP, Republican control of Congress.  Or not.  I really don't care.  After all, if it doesn't affect me directly, why should I?

8)
No more beans!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 10:34:14 am »
Watched this advert and feel it was extremely powerful.

How can people deny the use of embreyonic stem cell research when you see MJF like this? yes - there needs to be some type of regualtion in the area but trhis research is vital - it could thousands of millions of people for all we know... who knows what cures we might find in such research - parkinsons? diabetes?............. cancer? aids & HIV?

I thouroughy recommend MJF's autobiography - it makes very interesting reading.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

injest

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 11:02:24 am »
What an excellent and well considered piece of journalism, and I agree with every word of it. If
Limbaugh himself enjoys good health he would do well to think before he starts shooting his mouth off (I'm from the UK and know diddly-squat about him, so I don't know if this is the case). From a personal perspective, I've had Type 1 diabetes since I was a teenager and have encountered much ignorance, prejudice and downright insensitivity as a result. It's a tough condition to live with - injecting myself 4-6 times a day in my stomach is the easy bit, believe me. Do I want rid of it, and would I be prepared to do almost anything to be rid of it? You bet your ass I would.

Do you ever listen to him? I do occassionally when I am in an argumentative mood...yesterday was one of those. He has been catching a lot of flack because of his comments. So yesterday he was going on and on about how he was handicapped too! He lost his hearing and everyone laughed at him! He was addicted to pain killers (prescribed) and everyone was happy...no one gave him a pass. He KNOWS what it is to be handicapped! boo hoo...BUT he says.."I don't dwell, I don't bring it up! I am not using my handicaps as a crutch to get sympathy. When people found out I am deaf they rejoiced! Am I bitter? No of course not! I am not a victim...I do appreciate those of you that have supported me." blah blah...

so he is not bringing up all the deaf and addiction to get people to get off his back...uh huh!!? please...this is one of his favorite ploys...rant for fifteen minutes on something then end by denying that he just DID rant about it...argh!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 01:01:21 pm »
Those who are against stem cell research need to understand what it can do for medical science, and that it in no way "kills babies". 

so why is it so wrong to use aborted and still-born fetuses? 

....and we are not playing God as the bodies are already dead, and their essence, spirit, soul, whatever you wish to call it, has departed that vessel for other planes of existence.   

Sorry, but you're wrong here. The contorversy is about embryonic stem cell research.

Excursus:
There are also adult stem cells, but they're very different fom embryonic stem cells and they can be gained from living humans, e.g. before chemotherapy, and the adult stem cells are given back to the patient after the chemotherapy - so no controversy about adult stem cells.
But since adult stem cells underwent a great deal of exogenous interaction with other cells they are not as helpful, useful and valuable for scientific research as embryonic stem cells.

Back to embyonic stem cells (ESC):
To gain embyonic stem cells for research the embryos are distroyed, respectively they get distroyed by the procedure of extraction.
For ESC research not stillborns or aborted fetuses are "used", but redundant embryos from in-vitro-fertilisation (IVF).
To be exact, they have to be in a specific phase of ontogenesis, when the embryo exists of exactly 8 cells. This is the same time, when the embryo otherwise would be implanted into the uterus (in case of IVF), respectively when the embryo ends it's journey through the fallopian tube and attaches itself to the uterus (in case of natural conception).

The big question is now: when does human life begin? Are 8 blastomere cells a human being? If so,  human beings are destoyed ("killed", as the opponents say) for ESC research.
If not: so when does a human being begin to exist?

The ethical problems with ESC research are to be taken serious and I think it's good that there is a debate about it.
I'm not against it, but can't cheer lighthearted for it. I think it really is a difficult situation.
Additionally: what does normally become of the redundant IVF embryos that are not implanted into the uterus, when they are not used for ESC research? They are stored and/or destoyed as well. Difficult topic.

And for Limbaugh: never heard of this guy, but he seems to be an idiot, from what I've read here/on the link.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 01:28:59 pm by Penthesilea »