Author Topic: BBM at PFLAG meeting in San Francisco THIS SUNDAY!  (Read 4794 times)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
BBM at PFLAG meeting in San Francisco THIS SUNDAY!
« on: October 26, 2006, 12:09:17 pm »
PFLAG San Francisco
[email protected]
UPCOMING MEETING
NOVEMBER 12th ------  THIS SUNDAY

The movie Brokeback Mountain has deeply affected and brought people of all ages, genders, and sexual orientations together. It has transformed countless lives by inspiring people to take action to make major life changes, and has helped people to overcome long-held prejudicial beliefs. Brokeback Mountain opened up a nationwide dialog on the important issues of homophobia, same-sex marriage, and human rights in general.

Peter Tannen is a longtime SF PFLAG member and one of the people who have been deeply affected by Brokeback Mountain.  He will tell us about this experience and talk about the Brokeback Mountain Community he discovered through an Internet message board.  This has led to many new friendships, attendance at several out-of-town in-person get-togethers, and a one-to-one E-mail correspondence with a college student in the process of coming out.

If anyone wonders how I found out about this meeting, it was because I suggested the topic and volunteered to speak!  ;D

I want to extend a special invitation to all SF Bay Area Brokies to attend and share your experiences during the discussion
. The PFLAG meetings are free and open to anyone. Come to our next meeting on the second Sunday of every month 2 - 4 p.m. St. Francis Lutheran Church at 152 Church St.near Market. The first hour of our meetings involve small group discussions in which you'll be free to speak or just listen. You can tell us who you are or stay anonymous. After a break, the second hour involves a speaker or other educational program.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Hope to see you local Brokies there!

Pete
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 11:38:51 pm by ptannen »
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: BBM will be topic of November PFLAG meeting in San Francisco!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 04:33:44 pm »
Pete, you have singlehandedly done so much for BBM in SF.  One of my most meaningful BBM moments, was being inthe audience when the mayor's representative pronounced that it was officially BBM Day in SF.  Thanks for all you do for us.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 10:31:48 am »
I wish I could be there! Can you get someone to tape it?? Looking forward to your insights as the most well-traveled Bettermostian!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 01:24:45 pm »
Peter Tannen, you are a force of nature! We are so fortunate to be in your orbit  :-*

Heathen

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 03:24:34 pm »
Pete, you ARE the greatest--  a real treasure!  :D  You always keep us informed about any SF/BBM activity, and we appreciate it!  I would very much like to attend this meeting if I can (of course I always like excuses to see you again  ;) ).

Melinda
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 02:09:43 am »
Pete,

Unfortunately I can't attend the meeting.  :(  It's a wonderful thing that you share your BBM and BetterMost experience.  Good luck!

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: BBM at PFLAG meeting in San Francisco THIS SUNDAY!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 11:42:28 pm »
Just a reminder that this event is this Sunday:  2 - 4 p.m. at the St. Francis Lutheran Church at 152 Church St. near Market St..

Everyone is welcome to attend.  My talk, followed by audience discussion and questions starts at 3:15 pm.

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 05:09:06 am »

Hey Pete,

After getting to know a bit more in Wyoming, I know the passion you have in your heart for Brokeback Mountain, and how it's affected your life.  You have so much to offer this group, I am proud that you are the one to represent the thoughts of us brokies and will send a message of love and support.  Wish I could be there.  Please let us know how things went, so .................... knock 'em dead!

Adrian
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 03:23:33 pm »
We are waiting with baited breath for your report!!

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 04:06:55 pm »
Hey Pete,

After getting to know a bit more in Wyoming, I know the passion you have in your heart for Brokeback Mountain, and how it's affected your life.  You have so much to offer this group, I am proud that you are the one to represent the thoughts of us brokies and will send a message of love and support.  Wish I could be there.  Please let us know how things went, so .................... knock 'em dead!

Adrian

Adrian -

Thanks so much for your confidence in me and your sweet words of support!  I am looking forward to this event . . . and I'm a little nerveous, too!  I will definitely let you all know how it went!

Pete

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 09:29:53 pm »
Pete, how was it?

{{{Pete}}}

:)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 11:36:42 am »
I love your new signature Clarissa. That was a beautiful post that Scott (moremojo) made on his blog, and it inspired me to read the story of Gilgamesh and Enagaku. Where has Scott been lately?? Pete, we are waiting patiently for your report!

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 03:03:55 am »
Sorry, it's taken me so long. 

It went well, but it was nothing spectacular.  There were about 15 people or so, including me, my partner David, Julie (Julie01; twisteddude), and Michael Flanagan (michaelflanagansf from dave Cullen).  I spoke for about 20 minutes and then there was questions and answers.  Everyone seemed intested.

I really can't remember much more.  One guy said he came to the meeting especially to hear my talk,but had to leave early.  I told him I would e-mail him a copy of my comments.

Pete