Author Topic: Minute Detail - IMO The Best Line Delivery in the Movie  (Read 19880 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Minute Detail - IMO The Best Line Delivery in the Movie
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2006, 07:54:53 pm »
Except for two or three sucky lines, the whole movie is nothing but lines delivered well and convincingly.

The two that strike me as the best are both my favorites and I've said so many times before and are the most convincing because the delivery is SOOOOOOOO realistic.  A conversation within a movie that's speaking to you,

Jack:  The Pentecost is...I don't...I don't know what the Pentecost is.  My momma didn't explain it to me.

Jack:  ENNIS! (calling out to a drunk Ennis outside the tent)

Jake pitched his tone perfectly in these two.

The first is said so conversationally, it really sounds like someone would if a very young man was speaking to a close friend about something he's heard of but doesn't really know anything about and is being very honest about it, knowing he won't be made fun of.

And the second just straightened me up.  He says the name with such an intonation that it immediately invoikes a person perfectly at ease and comfortable enough that he knows the other person will respond to his aggravated tone.

Jake just nails that and with only one word and his tone of voice.

Kinda like when you were a kid and you heard your parents yelling for you?  You knew what was coming by the tone of their voice.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2006, 08:06:26 pm »
'Never taught me a thing. Never once come to see me ride.'

Oh, my!  Can't believe I forgot about this one.  I *love* that delivery.  And the way he takes a hard swig of the whiskey right after and does that sort of bitter thing with his mouth - you know it's not the whiskey, but the bitterness in his heart for his father who never gave him the love he so needed.
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2006, 12:12:23 am »
I'm not sure about the best delivery but one of my favorite lines is...

"I gotta boy.....8 months.....he smiles a lot."

ROFL....that line gets me everytime!

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2006, 12:31:32 am »
Yeah that's a good one, hell all the lines are good IMO..except how the biker says "F*ck you."

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2006, 12:33:29 am »
I LOVE how while Heath's talking in that scene, he's also periodically stroking Jake's forearm...

it makes me get gooey every time...
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2006, 12:46:46 am »
Yes, he does that stroking thing whenever Jack says something particularly touching, like "Brokeback got us good." Also I love their casual intimacy in that scene, the way they really seem to listen to each other, the unstated concern in Ennis' "didn't think I'd hear from you again" and "the army didn't get ya?" (And I love the way Jack says, "Nope. Too busted up.") And then I love, sad as it is, the way Ennis' face falls after Jack says "what are we gonna do now?"

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2006, 12:55:37 am »
Yeah, Katherine,

The mood changes instantly.

:-[
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2006, 03:58:23 am »

I mentioned that subtle mood change in the motel scene on the "Ennis: thread.. so powerful.

My fave line delivery is what is given away to the AUDIENCE, not Alma, when Ennis says "that's if he shows" - right after the 'we'll just likely go out an get drung"...

But the "that's if he shows"... I love that cause it expresses his insecurity.. you KNOW he's dying to see Jack but he can't bring himself to get his hopes up in case they get dashed.. and by saying that line out loud, he's trying to rein in the emotions (even though there AIN'T NO reins)  ;D

But we all know what happens next and you see the utter joy through his eyes and just the slightest movement of his lips.  Now THAT, ladies and gents, is ****** good acting..
Chut up!

vkm91941

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2006, 05:51:53 am »
My all time fav is still "Tell you what. The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it"  :'( gets me everytime

Offline rightstar

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2006, 10:19:09 am »
My all time fav is still "Tell you what. The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it"  :'( gets me everytime

I love that one too, and the first viewing during that pause I thought he was about  to confess about seeing Randall on the side . When he actually came out with the confession about missing Ennis I was knocked over. In fact, the times Jake takes about not being able to stand it--that scene and the argument by the lake--Jake gets so much emotion and yearning into those words that I can hardly stand it.
I reread the story last night and that line is much flatter--Sometimes I miss you so much I could whip babies--but more colloquial. Also in the story, Ennis pulls Jack over and puts his arm around him, something I sorely wish they had done in the movie. It always bothered me that they sit so far apart in that scene, especially knowing that it is the last time we'll see them happy together, other than the flashback.