Author Topic: Minute Detail - IMO The Best Line Delivery in the Movie  (Read 19885 times)

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
Re: Minute Detail - IMO The Best Line Delivery in the Movie
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2006, 10:24:44 am »
"That foreman, he- he owes me.  I worked through a blizzard last Christmas.  Remember that?" 

There's something about the way Ennis stutters when he says "he- he owes me" that literally puts me in a reverie. 

I lose it when Ennis shakes his head "no".  It's so sexy.  A little mean, but sexy. 
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2006, 01:06:17 pm »
But the "that's if he shows"... I love that cause it expresses his insecurity.. you KNOW he's dying to see Jack but he can't bring himself to get his hopes up in case they get dashed.. and by saying that line out loud, he's trying to rein in the emotions (even though there AIN'T NO reins)  ;D
But we all know what happens next and you see the utter joy through his eyes and just the slightest movement of his lips.  Now THAT, ladies and gents, is ****** good acting..

Well put, Sheyne! Those tiny, subtle but absolutely authentic emotional details are so precious and thrilling.

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2006, 01:10:25 pm »
I just love..."you may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity"  and Jacks little "hmmm".. yikes, I get all tingley.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2007, 10:30:30 pm »
This deserves a new reading!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline vince55

• Don't Say Much
  • Brokeback Got Us Good
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2007, 11:42:02 pm »
"Sometimes I miss you so much, I can hardly stand it"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2007, 05:40:24 pm »
To me the best part in the whole movie is when Jack is flashing back. Whe he's standing at the fire and Ennis comes up and encircles him with his arm while leaning on his sholder and recounts the song his mamma sang to him then very softly hums in Jacks ear then rides away. Then it Cuts to Ennis driving away. That is the most painful yet beautiful part to me. It shows their love in way that words can do justice. Ecspecialle the look in Jacks eyes then and in the present.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2007, 02:15:50 pm »
"We could have had a good life together, but you didn't want it Ennis. "  I don't have the script in front of me, so perhaps I erred in my remembrance.     

Well Jack doesn't die right away after saying the a.m. line, but the first time I heard it, I knew the film was drawing to a very unhappy ending.  I still think  THAT line sums up the movie pretty well; lost opportunities, what might have been.

For Jack, it's almost like him saying "Oh, happy dagger, this is thy sheath; there rust and let me die."   :'( Well Jake said his character "died" when he realized he couldn't be with Ennis so that where I got the connection with R and J.   

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2007, 02:21:32 pm »
"We could have had a good life together, but you didn't want it Ennis. "  I don't have the script in front of me, so perhaps I erred in my remembrance.     

Well Jack doesn't die right away after saying the a.m. line, but the first time I heard it, I knew the film was drawing to a very unhappy ending.  I still think  THAT line sums up the movie pretty well; lost opportunities, what might have been.

For Jack, it's almost like him saying "Oh, happy dagger, this is thy sheath; there rust and let me die."   :'( Well Jake said his character "died" when he realized he couldn't be with Ennis so that where I got the connection with R and J.   

I wonder if they spoke after that? It's not refrenced anywhere so i assume not.
Lord, could you imagine what Ennis must be feeling while on the phone with that bitch Lureen.
The way he described how he felt leaving that summer they spent on the mountain wouldn't even compare.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2007, 02:59:52 pm »
Lord, could you imagine what Ennis must be feeling while on the phone with that bitch Lureen.

Bitch Lureen? Ouch. Remember, at this moment, everything was coming together for her (fishing buddies, addresses in his head, never wanting to dance with his wife). Right there she is finding out why, all at once (like when Alma saw the kiss).  But she was still good enough to direct Ennis to Jack's parents, where he could find closure.
People tend to be hard on Lureen for some reason, as if not being primarily a homemaker means she somehow had less of a heart. But she just wanted to be noticed and loved, like anybody else.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2007, 03:08:39 pm »
Anyway, one of my favorite acting moments (not really a line delivery) is after Jack says, "Redlined it all the way, couldn't get here fast enough. How about you?"   Ennis replies, "me? uh . . . I dunno".   

But just before and as he says that, all these emotions and thoughts wash over Ennis' face.  In the space of about 3.5 seconds. Just an amazing performance.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:21:40 am by LauraGigs »