Author Topic: "You gotta have dream, to get you thru  (Read 5551 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
"You gotta have dream, to get you thru
« on: October 28, 2006, 12:14:08 am »
the bad times..."   :'(

I'm paraphrasing but I saw RUNNING WITH SCISSORS today, a movie about a gay teen in a very mixed up social environment.  He confides to the mother of the family that adapted him, i.e.  everybody has dreams, you need to have them to get thru the bad moments.  It led to me to thinking about BBM and how Jack's life, particularly his adolescene must have been so difficult, that he learned to be a dreamer, to get thru the hard times.  It was his way of detaching from the bleak situation, from an unloving father, an unadverturesome childhood which he tries to compensate for by getting into rodeoing which will be his ticket to "stardom."

By the way, in RUNNING WITH SCISSORS, Joseph Cross did a great job playing the most normalesque character as the gay teen and Annette Benning brilliantly played his bipolar Anne Sexton wantabee biological mother. Like BBM it takes place in the 1970's, very good soundtrack, but the setting is Western Massachusetts, not Wyoming.  And unlike Jack, Joseph Cross's character is a gay teen in the late 1970's, not the early 1960's.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "You gotta have dream, to get you thru
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 06:05:10 pm »
Interesting!

In many ways!!

We do dream, which is great!!

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 06:24:44 pm »
Right!!

Hugs!!

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 06:41:01 pm »
Glad to see how you discovered that. It's an interesting perspective on life that can continue to allow us to cope and drive us through our most difficult times. This is something that has been prevalent among many homosexual men, the spiritual or psychological focus on an almost alternate reality. It provides a depth of dream and fantasy that reflects the outer world, and which can be tied to paper via pen and ink; rearranged and harmonized with a variety of realistic understandings.

I think that may in part be where the term "Gay" originates: from this psychological or spiritual focus on an alternate, dreamy world. There are a number of films which seem to focus on this part of male homosexuality, not to mention books, poetry, and a large part of the art world of the aesthetic. Performance itself can be an escape from the conflicts of reality.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 06:51:19 pm »
Is it more difficult with such a dream? Better without it in the gay world??

Or is it same in the straight world??

I find more men difficult with the world and humanity... and wonder if you do too??

Hugs!!

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 07:03:43 pm »
Why are there so many
Songs about rainbows
And what's on the other side?
Rainbow's are visions
They're only illusions
And rainbows have nothing to hide
So we've been told and some chose to
Believe it
But I know they're wrong wait and see

Someday we'll find it
The Rainbow Connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

Who said that every wish
Would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that
And someone believed it
And look what it's done so far
What's so amazing
That keeps us star gazing
What do we think we might see?

Someday we'll find it
That Rainbow Connection
The lovers the dreamers and me

Have you been half asleep
And have you heard voices
I've heard them calling my name
Are these the sweet sounds that called
The young sailors?
I think they're one and the same
I've heard it too many times to ignore it
There's something that I'm supposed to be

Someday we'll find it
The Rainbow Connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 07:14:26 pm »
Thanks!
Rainbows may be visions. They are also real. But too many gay men do not find nor discover how to augment friendship/lover/pal relationship!!?? Some do find and stay long together... even lifetime!!

We need to communicate more. Even prevent danger as the BM film tells us!!??

I create vision in my paintings... to better myself and the world hopefully!! Some look and change their lives... it seems to me with one of my paintings!!

As a gay man, it is hard to see the Brokeback Mountain movie!! Still so!! It hurts!!

How was or is your reaction to it?? May I ask??

Hugs!!

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 07:18:25 pm »
Usually, subtleties are too beautiful for me to go and explain in detail, but thats when not many other people get it. So I thought I might point out some interesting things in the song The Rainbow Collection.

First of all, there is a strong belief in objects of beauty. Beauty becomes an almost tangible force in this alternate perception, though how this realization manifests differs individually. Then when this idea is held at the same time as a more reality-based understanding, we realize that this perception of beauty is conflicted. Beauty is not real, except as symbolic imagery.

Secondly, the idea of a positive element guiding all natural forces in the Universe. This is perhaps the same idea as the benevolent God, but for those who experience this alternate perception, it becomes far less impersonal than a God-hallucination and more of an internal understanding, a subtle awareness that shadows all revelations, logical comprehensions, and cognitive philosophies.

Thirdly, the idea of being unique and different from everyone else, with supernatural reasoning. This is another idea that is all too prevalent in many individuals, including homosexuals: the specific idea of a purpose-driven life, and the awareness that this purpose is different from religion-based awarenesses or teachings. Which of course leads many to wonder about what that purpose could be, since there is no book that defines it.

It is interesting that there are a variety of authors out there who believe that gender is a large determining factor of the way one has an expansive conscious awareness, and where that awareness is rooted. In other words, sexuality and personal consciousness / identity are inseperable from one another. An attempt to change sexual behaviors and inclinations is a psychological attack on the very root of individual identity and personal liberty. There are a number of books I could quote from my bookshelf if anyone is interested in pursuing this idea further.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 07:26:15 pm »
To me beauty is real!!

God is too!!

So is humanity!!

Hugs!!
But life remains hard!! Joie de vivre, enlightens life... somehow as being joyful is great; as in my painting I create!! Abounding colors and mouvements!!

But there is also the tempest in every one of my paintings, as a storm in every life and on earth!! As there are two diffenrent landscapes in each of my paintings I created, so is hope with a more serene as a second landscape!!

The BM movie and story of Annie remains hard for me. You too??

Hugs!!

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 07:29:14 pm »
Thanks!
Rainbows may be visions. They are also real. But too many gay men do not find nor discover how to augment friendship/lover/pal relationship!!?? Some do find and stay long together... even lifetime!!

We need to communicate more. Even prevent danger as the BM film tells us!!??

I create vision in my paintings... to better myself and the world hopefully!! Some look and change their lives... it seems to me with one of my paintings!!

As a gay man, it is hard to see the Brokeback Mountain movie!! Still so!! It hurts!!

How was or is your reaction to it?? May I ask??

Hugs!!

Artiste, I have posted numerous times on the boards that Brokeback Mountain presents a near-mystical (if not outright mystical) union between beingness and identity, and that it provides a great deal of awareness and understanding on how we can not only respond to the world around us, but also improve our lives for the better by following the simple awarenesses that were brought forth in that film.  First, that we acknowledge that Love is a force of nature. It controls much of our being without our conscious attempt to control it; it defines a mutual presence where none was present before; it creates emotional and spiritual transformations in our personal lives and we have few ways to prevent it from happening.  Secondly, that our happiness is dependent on our own being, and not on our reaction to society or involvement with the spiritual side of society, which can be ultimately misleading. A personality that is not aware of the true source of happiness, namely in a deeper connection with our own feelings and true selves, can suffer extreme anguish. Thirdly, it examines the true nature of human sexuality. What is the true purpose of sexuality? Why are we as human beings allowed to involve ourselves in a physically intimate way with another individual, and what does this imply about the psychological and spiritual natures of this union? It next examines the ways in which the individual responds to his environment and to his society. Which is the stronger of the three? And that when we can fully finalize this understanding in our lives we will be greatly empowered to both comprehend and facilitate change: in our lives, in the environment, and in our society. Ultimately, it questions what it means to be a human being which is capable of embracing the complete potential of that race. And lastly, it questions the true meaning of death. Is it a separation? And if so, why do we continue to dream about those that have passed beyond, and attempt to make connections with them.

That is how I responded to Brokeback Mountain, and I am attempting every day to make these awarenesses guide my personal decisions, and to better my life through an understanding of the deeper revelations of the Universe.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 11:36:06 am »
More...

au revoir,
hugs!