Author Topic: The line "Jack Nasty"  (Read 12537 times)

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
The line "Jack Nasty"
« on: October 30, 2006, 12:33:43 am »
Okay, so every now and then I hear people criticize the line "Jack Nasty" cause they think it's really cheesy. And I wonder: am I the only person who doesn't think it's cheesy?

I mean, an example of a cheesy line to me, would be when you turn on 7th Heaven and you hear the likes of:
"I'm gonna go help you win your girlfriend back!"
"You'd do that for me?"
"Well, we're brothers, aren't we?"

And then you're left thinking, oh Good lord, did they actually think this was good when they filmed it?

But I watch Brokeback and I see the way Michelle Williams beautifully performs that scene, her face contorting with so much anguish, the words are almost unsaid, you hurt for her. She makes it so meaningful and even on paper, one can infer meaning from the line. Not only does she feel betrayed, she's repulsed by Ennis' sexual orientation.

So, it was just making me wonder about the essence of cringe-worthy dialogue. I just don't get that impression at all from the line. I mean, don't you think it would've been distracting if she had thought of some elaborate 'diss?'
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Wreeah

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: The line "Jack Nasty"
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 12:42:49 am »
Just to hear the words probably sounds 'cheezy'...  but when watched in the context of that powerful scene, it becomes a much more serious and deeper line.
I think using the word 'nastey' in that manor was probably not out of context of the time period, and she blurts it out with such frustration... I can see someone making a statment like that.
I really didn't think the line was cheezy at all.
It's actualy a very uncomfortable, and difficult scene to watch, and there's no humour  to be found.
It could be like this... just like this...  always.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 03:18:19 am »
you have to admit, out of context, it is a pretty funny line. even the actors laughed about it while talking about that line specifically on Oprah. In the context of the film though, Michelle really gave it a lot of depth. I think the people making fun of the line, never saw the film or didn't get the film.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 10:51:16 am »
I don't think there's anything cheesy about the line at all.  I agree, it fits the time, place and people.  Alma doesn't want to even think the word "homosexual" or "queer" much less say it , but that is what she's saying, "Jack, that queer!".  And Michelle Williams is brilliant, simple brilliant. 

Rayn
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 12:14:30 pm by Rayn »

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 11:49:57 am »
I agree, it doesn't seem cheezy to me either; tends to fit the scene.

But, unfortuanatley I may be one of the older guys here, and I do not recall that word being used in in the 60s or 70s to describe an illicit affair or some such thing. Rather, in the early 90s, it became somewhat popular to refer to "the big nasty" when people tallked about sex, usually one night stands.

Rayn, help me out with your point about Ennis saying "Jack that queer". Did Ennis mumble this when Alma was attacking? thanks!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 12:19:42 pm »
Rayn, help me out with your point about Ennis saying "Jack that queer". Did Ennis mumble this when Alma was attacking? thanks!

No, No, that was my mistake, which I modified upon re-reading.  (see my post now)

I meant "she", not he, meaning  "Alma doesn't want to even think the word "homosexual" or "queer" much less say it , but that is what she's saying, "Jack, that queer!"

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 12:24:41 pm »
I may be one of the older guys here...

Hey, I'm "one of the older guys here too..."  54 years young, a little bent in spots, a frayed edge here and there, but in overall great spirits and condition, if I don't say so myself!

How 's San Fransisco these days?

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 06:44:40 pm »
Alma is ME!  All those guys I fell for but couldn't (straight) or wouldn't return it.  When she cries as Ennis hurries away after the reunion I had some kind of intense emotional implosion each time.  Everything went white; I couldn't hear anything; it was just like every neuron in my brain fired all at once.  Lasted about 9 viewings.  My therapist, who has now seen the film 4 times, God love her (the last with the subtitles on), and I really tried to figure out what was happening to me during this scene.  After much soul searching, it came and hit me HARD!   LOSS.    All of those guys. (I wasn't always a monk!)   And Alma's character is so doelike.  So innocent.   I don't think she would have cussed if she had a mouthful of sh*t.  And then she gets her chance to really give it to Ennis for the LOSS of his love.   JACK NASTY!  She's cursing Ennis just as much as Jack did at their final meeting when he said: "Your're too much for me, Ennis, you son of a whoreson bitch.  I wish I knew how to quit you."

You know on the 10th (my last to date) viewing I heard for the first time Alma crying as she sees the man she thought she knew drive away with Jack.  How could she compete with that?

The recurring theme in this movie over and over and over is LOSS.   And it tears me up to watch it so I just save it for really special occasions.  Love this film.   Taught me so much about me!

(Taught me LUST is NOT LOVE! but nobody ever taught me how.  I'm learning now...
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 07:04:18 pm »
It's not Jack who was nasty... since it was Alma who was!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 04:29:06 am »
It's not Jack who was nasty... since it was Alma who was!
Isn´t that to miss the point of the movie, Artieste?
Ennis is a victimin the sense that he doesn´t even think there´s an option to getting married. And in the moment he marries Alma, she becomes a victim too. They both get trapped in something that never should have been. Alma never gets the love from Ennis that she needs/deserves, simply because it´s impossible for him to give it to her.
Wasn´t the point of the movie to show how not only gay people are affected by living in homophobic society, but also the people around them?

And about the line "Jack Nasty". When taken out of context,  I do think it´s kinda funny, but when I watch the scene it´s everything but.

I

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 07:14:30 am »
I remember reading somewhere or seeing in an interview with Michelle Williams....she said, she found it difficult in rehearsals to say "Jack Nasty" without falling in a fit of laughing, and how she hoped she could say it with a straight face when they were filming.

I think for the times, and because Alma was not a woman who would swear, or say curse words... saying Jack Nasty, was the worst way she could describe him and how she felt about him. It was her way of cursing him.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 03:00:08 pm »
And about the line "Jack Nasty". When taken out of context,  I do think it´s kinda funny, but when I watch the scene it´s everything but.

I think for the times, and because Alma was not a woman who would swear, or say curse words... saying Jack Nasty, was the worst way she could describe him and how she felt about him. It was her way of cursing him.

Well said.  Context is always important, but in BBM especially.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain