Author Topic: What is Love  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
What is Love
« on: October 30, 2006, 05:44:28 pm »
I received this in an email today, and wanted to share it with everyone....

Subject: What does Love Mean

Slow down for three minutes to  read this. It is so worth it.
Touching words from the mouth of babes.
What does Love mean?
A group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds, "What does love mean?"
The answers they got were broader and deeper than anyone could have imagined. See what you think:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore.

So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love."
Rebecca- age 8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different.
You just know that your name is safe in their mouth."
Billy - age 4

"Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
Karl - age 5

"Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs."
Chrissy - age 6

"Love is what makes you smile when you're tired."
Terri - age 4

"Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK."
Danny - age 7

"Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more.
My Mommy and Daddy are like that. They look gross when they kiss"
Emily - age 8

"Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen."
Bobby - age 7 (Wow!)

"If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate,"

Nikka - age 6
(we need a few million more Nikka's on this planet)

"Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday."
Noelle - age 7

"Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well."
Tommy - age 6

"During my piano recital, I was on a stage and I was scared. I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling.

He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared anymore."
Cindy - age 8

"My mommy loves me more than anybody

You don't see anyone else kissing me to sleep at night."
Clare - age 6

"Love is when Mommy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken."
Elaine-age 5

"Love is when Mommy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than Robert Redford."
Chris - age 7

"Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day."
Mary Ann - age 4

"I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes and has to go out and buy new ones."
Lauren! - age 4

"When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you." (what an image)
Karen - age 7

"Love is when Mommy sees Daddy on the toilet and she doesn't think it's gross."
Mark - age 6

"You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget."
Jessica - age 8

And the final one -- Author and lecturer Leo Buscaglia once talked about a contest he was asked to judge.

The purpose of the contest was to find the most caring child.

The winner was a four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife.

Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there.

When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said,
"Nothing, I just helped him cry"

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What is Love
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 06:10:03 pm »
That's beautiful, Sue! It's just that I don't believe it was actually the children who said all this...  ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 06:22:10 pm by Pipedream »

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 06:16:03 pm »
That's beautiful, Sue! It's just that I don't believe it was acutally the children who said all this...  ;)

I am surprised to hear you say that.....I have little grandchildren, and they say things similar to this, about all different things.....

And anyway, lets face it....whoever said these things, they are beautiful words.......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 06:38:01 pm »
...whoever said these things, they are beautiful words.......

They are! Definitely! And I know that children are capable of saying the most beautiful things. It's just that some of those quotations don't look like a child came up with them but some proud mothers...
I don't think small children would be able to abstract certain things themselves. They might see their grandpa painting their granny's toenails and would maybe admire it, but they wouldn't say: "that's love". That's what adults would conclude. Beautiful, nonetheless!

:)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 07:46:46 pm »
I have seen this before and am glad to see it again.  :)  Thanks Sue!

injest

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 01:10:29 am »
Pipedream it is the very fact that most kids CAN"T conceptualize the feeling love that makes their words so pure and sweet. They may not really understand what they are saying but we as adults hear it and put our own interpretations on them..

ok that doesn't make sense...

D used to always say (when he wanted his way) that he would "love you forever and ever and be your best friend!" now as a child he had NO idea what love, forever, or best friend meant...I DID...so the words meant the most to me...

children of that age have not learned to tell little white lies...or to avoid certain subjects...they say what is in their minds...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 01:21:44 am »

children of that age have not learned to tell little white lies...or to avoid certain subjects...they say what is in their minds...

I found out about that one the hard way.

I was watching my niece once when she was little. We were sitting in my living room watching television when I saw a friend of mine pull up in the driveway. I really didn't want to see him, so I told my niece to tell him I wasn't home. I hid in the kitchen as my niece answered the door. She looked at him and said "My uncle just told me to tell you he wasn't home right now". 

Edit: I just remember something my niece said to me at my grandmother's funeral. I think Christy was probably 5 at the time. She noticed me crying and she looked at me and said "Now the sky loves grandma".

Thanks for posting this thread Sue!  :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:30:15 am by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 02:15:39 am »
Something cute ..  ;D

Kids' Ideas about Love ..
(courtesy of naute.com)

"If falling in love is anything like learning how to spell, I don't want to do it. It takes too long." -- Glenn, age 7

"I think you're supposed to get shot with an arrow or something, but the rest of it isn't supposed to be so painful." -- Manuel, age 8

"Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good too." -- Greg, age 8

"Once I'm done with kindergarten, I'm going to find me a wife." -- Tom, age 5

"My mother says to look for a man who is kind. That's what I'll do. I'll find somebody who's kinda tall and handsome." -- Carolyn, age 8

"It gives me a headache to think about that stuff. I'm just a kid. I don't need that kind of trouble." -- Kenny, age 7

"A man and a woman promise to go through sickness and illness and diseases together." -- Marlon, age 10

"Love will find you, even if you are trying to hide from it. I been trying to hide from it since I was five, but the girls keep finding me." -- Dave, age 8

"You should never kiss a girl unless you have enough bucks to buy her a big ring and her own VCR, 'cause she'll want to have videos of the wedding." -- Jim, age 10

"The rules goes like this: if you kiss someone, then you should marry her and have kids with her. It's the right thing to do." -- Howard, age 8

"Never kiss in front of other people. It's a big embarrassing thing if anybody sees you. But if nobody sees you, I might be willing to try it with a handsome boy, but just for a few hours." -- Kally, age 9

"You got to find somebody who likes the same stuff. Like if you like sports, she should like it that you like sports, and she should keep the chips and dip coming." -- Allan, age 10
(the little brat ..lol)

"Spend most of your time loving instead of going to work." -- Dick, age 7
(Umm, do you suppose his name has anything to do with it..?   :P )

;D