Author Topic: Character you pitied most  (Read 9291 times)

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Character you pitied most
« on: October 31, 2006, 12:40:46 am »
We all know most of these characters suffered one way or another and we feel sympathy for them.  To me, I can sympathized with all of them, but I pitied for most is Alma.  Perhaps it was the actress' wonderful acting abilities, but she seems to suffer the most next to our boys.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Re: Character you pitied most
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 04:51:03 am »
I pity Bobby Twist.  Losing his Daddy like that and you know if Jack was murdered as Ennis believes then there will be gossip about his Daddy being gay that Bobby will not understand and I don't think Lureen showed enough character to help him with.  Sad
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 10:53:30 am »
Excellent question:
Because of the ABCs Game I have dictionary.commed so many words this year, so why not one more:

Pity - sympathetic or kindly sorrow evoked by the suffering, distress, or misfortune of another,  often leading one to give relief or aid or to show mercy

I think I feel pity for every character in the movie, even Aguirre (flicking his magazine pages and saying he has no jobs for rose stemmers), even Jimbo (unable to share a beer with a lone man).  And definitely for all the people inside the Del Mar and Twist families.
I think what is pitiful is the family structure, so rigid and dominant.
It has become so easy to say what is right in a family that we have lost sight of what is wrong in a family.   A man, a woman and children make it RIGHT.   Love, respect and decency towards everyone seems to have gone out the window.

I pity the family members most, and the ones who need real affection more are the larger victims here.  Bobby will grow up to be like his grandfather.  Lureen is like her mother.  The transmission of shallow family values is the pitiful theme here, in my opinion.

It is so pitiful that you cannot give relief or aid or show mercy to these people.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 12:34:56 pm by Toast »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 01:42:14 pm »
I feel sorry for just about everyone too, even OMT and the bikers, but the person I most feel sorry for is Jack.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Scott6373

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 01:51:59 pm »
The story and the film are perfect examples of classic Greek tragedy.  That being said, one of the aims of a tragedy is to engender feelings of pity and/or sympathy on the part of the viewer/reader.

All of the charectars were flawed.  All of the charectars suffered loss.  There's a measure of pity for each one, but whichever one more closely resembles one's own personal experience is usually the one we feel the most for.  For me it was Jack.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 02:46:30 pm »
From the above, it was tough to decide between Alma and Jack's mom. We see more from Alma, we see her suffer.
But my vote went to Jack's mom. Both women of Ennis and Jack sure suffered, but were able to get their lifes into their own hands. Alma eventually divorced Ennis and married Monroe, Lureen was the more independent type anyway.

But Jack's mom was married to that mean old bastard and captured in this desolate place. She had a hard life and lost her only child.

As for Ennis and Jack, for me it was Ennis I pitied most. I know, Jack is the one who ends up dead. But I think Ennis was the more troubled character throughout the story and I hardly can bear it to watch him after Jack's death.

Scott6373

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 02:56:00 pm »
The reason I say Jack is not because he died.  Lets face it...he was a loose canon and probably was not as prudent in his behavior as he should have been. 

I had the most sympathy for him because he tried and tried and eventually gave up his life (and I am not referring to his death) trying to be what Ennis wanted...the only thing Ennis could handle.  That's why I firmly believe at that the last fishing trip, Jack knew he was leaving Ennis.  He knew he had to leave Ennis if he ever hoped to have the chance to experience the very thing he thought he had with Ennis all along. 

I know how he felt in that heart-wrenching moment: when you have to finally come to the realization that "love" is really not enough, especially when the love cannot be equally shared and expressed.  In fact, as I put more distance between myself and my initially emotional reaction to the film, I feel less and less sympathy or pity for Ennis, and it has even approached anger.

It was far more than being sad about future trip plans.  It was the end of a dream...a very long dream, that shaped and ultimately destroyed lives.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 03:36:30 pm by Scott6373 »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 04:30:18 pm »
From the above, it was tough to decide between Alma and Jack's mom. We see more from Alma, we see her suffer.
But my vote went to Jack's mom. Both women of Ennis and Jack sure suffered, but were able to get their lifes into their own hands. Alma eventually divorced Ennis and married Monroe, Lureen was the more independent type anyway.

But Jack's mom was married to that mean old bastard and captured in this desolate place. She had a hard life and lost her only child.

As for Ennis and Jack, for me it was Ennis I pitied most. I know, Jack is the one who ends up dead. But I think Ennis was the more troubled character throughout the story and I hardly can bear it to watch him after Jack's death.

You hit the proverbial nail of how I feel about this on the head with this reply.  I voted for Jack's Mom because her life had been so hard to begin with and then she had to lose her beautiful, beloved son to top it all off.  But most of all my heart goes out to Ennis, especially in the final scene.  I find it almost unbearable, too.  I swear, I have never been as moved by a fictional character in any medium as I am by Ennis Del Mar as he backs away from that closet, and I highly doubt I ever will again.  Of course my heart breaks a little bit for Jack every time Ennis pushes him away.  But he ultimately is free of his pain.  Ennis must live on with his (and his guilt and regret).  The thought of that is almost unbearable, too.
No more beans!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 06:22:54 pm »
Alma........lets face it, the marriage was doomed from the start, once ennis had fallen for Jack......but she didnt know it, and most of it was out of her control.....

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

horo35

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 07:05:25 pm »
Definatley Alma.  The acting was so good it seemed real.  I really felt sorry for her.  Cheating on a spouse is probably one of the worst things a person can do.