Author Topic: The Focus Features / Academy Awards Curse  (Read 2019 times)

TheStudDuck

The Focus Features / Academy Awards Curse
« on: April 05, 2006, 03:37:37 pm »
Just an observation for ya'll... perhaps if you're a little superstitious you can maybe attribute it to that Oscar loss that we so tragically experienced a month ago.

I'm not sure when Focus Features came about exactly... but I think it was only a few years ago.  If I'm not mistaken, I think it was the product of some other production company or something.  Anyways, ever since 2002, Focus Features has walked away with a screenplay Oscar every year, but has yet to win Best Picture.

It's four consecutive screenplay Oscars were awarded to:
2002 -- The Pianist (adapted screenplay)
2003 -- Lost in Translation (original screenplay)
2004 -- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (original screenplay)
2005 -- Brokeback Mountain (adapted screenplay)

Three of these films were strong contenders for Best Picture Oscars.  The Pianist, Lost in Translation, and Brokeback Mountain, respectively.  And two of the films actually walked away with Best Director Oscars -- The Pianist and Brokeback Mountain.  So what is it about Focus Features and just not being able to pull out that top prize?  Do they not know how to campaign?  Do people in the industry just have a thing against them for being able to go against the grain and make great films that are commercially and artistically successful?

Just some thoughts.

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: The Focus Features / Academy Awards Curse
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 03:42:40 pm »
Do people in the industry just have a thing against them for being able to go against the grain and make great films that are commercially and artistically successful?

That would be my answer, in terms of the Academy f**king Awards.  They don't have a clue.  Sorry, Oscar still makes me bitter.  >:D