Author Topic: Cats + Jake = ?  (Read 15758 times)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Cats+Jake=?
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 04:31:41 pm »
Yes, you can tell that's a seasoned, good-natured cat.  Ah, a classic.  Henry's an orange tabby, but my first love was Tobias, a brown-grey tabby, dumb as a post and sweet as can be.  The way in which Tobias is like Jack:  I didn't quite know how much I loved him until he died.  A friend recently asked me if I love Henry as much as I loved Tobias.  I came to the above realization when I tried to answer.  My love for Henry is deep, but ever so slightly less reckless: I know he'll die someday; I know he'll hurt me real bad.  It never occurred to me that Tobias would ever die.

Sniff.  Sniff.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 04:36:14 pm »
I have an 8 year old black cat. His name is Pumpkin. He loves on me, comes running to the door when I walk in, tries to sit on a paper or book I'm reading so that he'll get all my attention, he back-talks when I tell him to do something. If he jumps on the counter, I'll say "Pumpkin, get down!" to which he will chirp loudly like a bird and run off.
He acts like a big baby but if anyone else comes around, he's spittin' mean. Hisses, scratches. He freaks out! I think he might be part feral (is that how you spell it?) Needless to say, I could never put anything on my cat. I tried reindeer horns one year and I almost lost a finger.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 04:47:25 pm »
Yes, you can tell that's a seasoned, good-natured cat.  Ah, a classic.  Henry's an orange tabby, but my first love was Tobias, a brown-grey tabby, dumb as a post and sweet as can be.  The way in which Tobias is like Jack:  I didn't quite know how much I loved him until he died.  A friend recently asked me if I love Henry as much as I loved Tobias.  I came to the above realization when I tried to answer.  My love for Henry is deep, but ever so slightly less reckless: I know he'll die someday; I know he'll hurt me real bad.  It never occurred to me that Tobias would ever die.

Sniff.  Sniff.

I know.  I know.

My tiny black cat Nosey (Don't look at me like that, she was second-hand, and came with that name.  And you can't change a cat's name.  It's like boats - bad luck.) died just about a month ago now.  She was 21, which is ancient for a cat.  When she turned 14 or 15, I started preparing myself for the fact that she'd have to kick the bucket one day.  But she didn't.  The Nose just kept on going and going and going.  She was the cat who would not die.  And I sort of got used to the idea that she'd keep going forever.

Then one day, she just couldn't get up, and we rushed her to the vet.  And the vet said that it was time to let her go.  So we held her while she went, and it was very peaceful, and very quick.

It's kind of silly to be so upset by it.  I loved her so much, but I didn't realize how deeply and richly and entirely I'd loved her until she was gone.  But that's life I guess.  Or death.  it's all one.

Anyway, we buried her in her favourite lookout/nap spot under the lilac tree, and planted masses and masses of snowdrops on top, so that this time next year, they'll burst forth and remind us of the old lady.  Good memories.

I'm sorry for posting sad kitty thoughts.  Thank you for listening.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 05:10:12 pm »
I appreciate all kitty thoughts.  Anyone on this thread by now knows what he/she got into.  Tobias died at 12 of kitty stomach cancer.  Poor little thing.

I have his ashes.  Kinda weird.  I was out of the country when he died and my mom handled the whole thing and had him cremated and bought a little cedar box to put the ashes in to give me.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 06:53:05 pm »
My kitty (Nina, with the second 'n' being the Spanish n-yay, as in 'Little Girl, 'cause she is) is an adorable little black kitty.  I mostly call her gorgeous for very obvious reasons.  She is 15, but incredibly healthy, and she promised me she won't die.  My other kitty, MochaBear (mostly just Mocha) had kidney failure, but I was with him 'till the very last moment and beyond. 

Anyway, Nina loves to sit on my laptop computer (y'know - she's a lap cat), but she knows I don't like it 'cause she gets black hair everywhere.  So - she climbs onto my lap and slowly slowly slinks her way to the desk-top and then onto the computer, as if she's somehow invisible.  She seems shocked that I can see her slinking her way to the promised laptop land, becasue I think she perceives herself to be wrapped in an invisible kitty cloak.

I have taken to putting my comp into 'hibernate' mode when I leave so she doesn't accidently post here or send e-mails when she stands with the full weight of her paws on the keyboard.  I will also say if I have posted anything I shouldn't have here, it was really my kitty, and not me!

I love kitties and kitty lovers. 

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 07:10:34 pm »

Given all the feline obsessives on this board, I thought it was eminently appropriate.  Stuffonmycat.com is just fucking bizarre.  I'm rather embarassingly delighted by it.  Enjoy.

Henrypie and Delalluvia, this is especially for you.

WE ARE NOT AMUSED.
 ;)

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 08:13:01 pm »
she promised me she won't die. 

Oh, Yad, you are wonderful.  But my kitty promised me she'd take care of her dingleberries, and we all know how that turned out...  Cat's aren't to be trusted.  Especially where dingleberries are concerned. 

Delalluvia, that picture is priceless.  I love, love, love it.  Are the K-kitties a widdle bit jealous of Pooky?  Don't worry guys, Jake's got plenty of lovin' to share around. No need to fight.

Mmmmm......warrrrrm compuuuuuuuter.........

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 09:58:30 pm »
Help!  Now I can't get away from the stuffonmycat website.  At my funeral, I want Sheyne's Malaysian BBM thread and stuffonmycat.  And tissues for all the weeping and pissing everyone will be doing.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 09:59:25 pm »
And it's reaaalllllllly hard not to wield the sticky wand with this one.

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 10:05:55 pm »
LOL! I'm trying to stay away from that site right now, it seems like something I would spend half the night at....

I have more important things to do with my time. Like catch up on all that I've missed here. Those 'new' symbols will be the death of me....I have to get rid of them all!