Author Topic: Is it just me or are the sticky threads getting a bit excessive?  (Read 8712 times)

TheStudDuck

I have been feeling this for a little while and I was talking to a fellow Tremblayan (who shall remain nameless) about how annoying it's getting having unnecessary threads being stuck at the top.

I can understand the important stuff that everyone needs to know... like the announcement by Phillip on the fate of the hidden feature... or even Clarissa's guide to getting around the site.  That stuff makes sense to me to be there.  It does.

What I'm talking about are the posts like... "the polls are at the polling place" ... which has been there for literally over a day without anyone saying anything.  I mean... okay, I get it... the polls are the polling place.  It's not that complicated.  I got it.

Or the invitation to the Brokeback ABCs... I mean, I'm cool with an announcement and everything and it's cool to let us know that it's over there... but the guide to BetterMost tells us where all of the games and stuff are, is it necessary to keep an announcement about a specific game that is going on there -- especially to keep it up for such an extended period of time?

And... okay... you're catching up on your PMs... I think we all just assume that if you haven't responded yet.  Some of the threads that are stuck up at the top seem a little bit like... they shouldn't be.  I understand if you want to just make the announcement, but to give them priority over everything else... I don't understand...

Is it just me?

I mean... these threads talking about how the polls are at the polling place are taking priority over bumped threads and new threads.  The newest thread is currently listed 6th.  That's just... um... something to think about.

Maybe it's just me.  Or maybe I think that the newly discovered and definitely awesomely cool sticky thread feature is being abused by those who have access to it.

*shrugs*

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Is it just me or are the sticky threads getting a bit excessive?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 04:25:46 pm »
Psssst David/StudDuck - maybe you could just PM Elle and let her know you concerns, in case she doesn't read this message.  Thanks.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

TheStudDuck

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 04:27:32 pm »
Well I didn't know if it was just me... I didn't want to force my opinions on anyone... I just wanted to get a general consensus.  If everyone felt like it was fine and they liked having those threads there, I would have left them well enough alone and not said anything further.

Just wanted to see what everyone else though.  :angel:

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 04:28:18 pm »
Or the invitation to the Brokeback ABCs... I mean, I'm cool with an announcement and everything and it's cool to let us know that it's over there... but the guide to BetterMost tells us where all of the games and stuff are, is it necessary to keep an announcement about a specific game that is going on there -- especially to keep it up for such an extended period of time?

I had asked Clarissa yesterday if it would be possible to sticky that for a day or two to make sure people who didn't visit every day had a chance to see it.  I posted it at almost midnight Monday, and it quickly dropped to page 2 because it's not the type of thread that got replied to.  So it's been about 24 hours that it's been stuck - fine by me if it's removed.   Sorry for any annoyance.  I'll PM her myself.
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 04:29:38 pm »
Psssst David/StudDuck - maybe you could just PM Elle and let her know you concerns, in case she doesn't read this message.  Thanks.

I agree that these sort of negative comments should be dealt with in a private way so we don't all have to read the negativity.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 04:29:49 pm »
Should we sticky this thread? ;)

TheStudDuck

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 04:33:42 pm »
I agree that these sort of negative comments should be dealt with in a private way so we don't all have to read the negativity.

Hmmmm... I don't think I was being negative.  Just voicing my opinion is all.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 04:40:07 pm »
I have been feeling this for a little while and I was talking to a fellow Tremblayan (who shall remain nameless) about how annoying it's getting having unnecessary threads being stuck at the top.

I try to keep the stickies to a minimum and then de-sticky em when I think most people have seen them.  On this section, that usually means around 24 hours.  Like my message will be de-stickied early this evening.  I also increased the number of messages per thread so people could see more new messages, since sometimes you have to get to page two or three to see the end of the new stuff.

As people keep spreading out, I think we'll be able to put more and more system announcements and stuff in what is now the Welcome New Users forum, but will also become an announcements section soon enough.

I definitely see your point though.

BTW, I know a lot of us got used to the "list 100 threads per page" feature on IMDb (I did anyway).  I can't swing that right now here without slowing the forum system down.  As we grow, we'll probably end up on our own server and that opens up new opportunities.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 04:40:45 pm »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

TheStudDuck

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 04:44:43 pm »
I try to keep the stickies to a minimum and then de-sticky em when I think most people have seen them.  On this section, that usually means around 24 hours.  Like my message will be de-stickied early this evening.  I also increased the number of messages per thread so people could see more new messages, since sometimes you have to get to page two or three to see the end of the new stuff.

As people keep spreading out, I think we'll be able to put more and more system announcements and stuff in what is now the Welcome New Users forum, but will also become an announcements section soon enough.

I definitely see your point though.
Thanks, Phillip.  Again, I don't mind having something stickied for a while... but I've been coming here frequently, and like the "polls are at the polling place" was there for well over a day... and they were piling up, and I was just wondering about it all.

The stickiness seemed to be getting out of hand and no one was saying anything about it.  :angel:

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 04:46:21 pm »

What I'm talking about are the posts like... "the polls are at the polling place" ... which has been there for literally over a day without anyone saying anything.  I mean... okay, I get it... the polls are the polling place.  It's not that complicated.  I got it.

And... okay... you're catching up on your PMs... I think we all just assume that if you haven't responded yet.  Some of the threads that are stuck up at the top seem a little bit like... they shouldn't be.  I understand if you want to just make the announcement, but to give them priority over everything else... I don't understand...

Or maybe I think that the newly discovered and definitely awesomely cool sticky thread feature is being abused by those who have access to it.

These are negative comments. A tackyful post would simply state...
Does anyone else feel that we need less sticky'd threads?

Instead you attack specific threads that people have obviously deemed important enough to sticky.

You wanted to elect officers or something of that sort. Well, we basically have "officers" in Clarissa, Celeste and Victoria as moderators and if they feel that certain threads need to be paid more attention, then I have no problem with them posting them at the top.

I am offended at your tactic and I feel like you alienate people with these sort of threads.

...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline David

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 04:53:18 pm »
Well if people would clean up after the first tent scene those posts wouldn't be so sticky would they?

David in Wallawalla

TheStudDuck

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 04:56:05 pm »
Instead you attack specific threads that people have obviously deemed important enough to sticky.

You wanted to elect officers or something of that sort. Well, we basically have "officers" in Clarissa, Celeste and Victoria as moderators and if they feel that certain threads need to be paid more attention, then I have no problem with them posting them at the top.

I am offended at your tactic and I feel like you alienate people with these sort of threads.
I'm sorry if you felt I was attacking specific threads.  What I was merely attempting to do is compare and contrast what I, personally, felt was important.  As I said... two of them I saw a point for them to be stickied... they made sense to me.  So the others that didn't make sense to me, I went ahead and explained why they didn't make sense to me.

I know I can be a smartass sometimes... but seriously... it wasn't meant to be an attack.  I just wanted to make a clear argument as to why I felt those particular threads were not worthy of the stickyness.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 04:57:06 pm »
Well if people would clean up after the first tent scene those posts wouldn't be so sticky would they?

David in Wallawalla

LOL :D

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 04:57:33 pm »

The stickiness seemed to be getting out of hand and no one was saying anything about it.  :angel:

Oh David darling (Studly David, I mean.  Not that you're not darling too, Timbuktu David), nobody cares.  I mean, we care.  We care deeply.  Just not about the sticky threads.  Sticky buns - now that's another story.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 05:00:15 pm »
sorry
s'all right
s'all right

or
s'all right
s'all right
s'all right
 or
give em hell

Heathen

Offline David

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 05:03:19 pm »
  We care deeply.  Just not about the sticky threads.  Sticky buns - now that's another story.

Mmmmm   Sticky buns!  ;D

Wait?    Jacks or Ennis's?    >:D

TheStudDuck

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 05:05:40 pm »
Wait?    Jacks or Ennis's?    >:D

Jack's, duh?  Didn't you watch the movie?

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 05:08:00 pm »

David in Wallawalla

OOoooooooooooooooooooooo - you're very naughty. 
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 05:36:14 pm »
First off, thanks to the person who PMed me that this thread was here.  I hadn't caught up to seeing it yet.

MuncieDavid, thanks for your feedback.  I agree completely with the judicious stickying of threads, and apologize for being imperfect at it.  A quick rundown on the ones you chose as examples:

the announcement by Phillip on the fate of the hidden feature:  topic of significance to many (I know you agree with this one).

Clarissa's guide to getting around the site:  I had unstickyed it and was asked to resticky it, so did.  It gets a lot of looks, so I think it's continuing to be used.  (I know you agreed with this one too.)

"the polls are at the polling place": I agree I left that up an unnecessary length of time (I fell asleep unexpectedly last night after excessive sleep deprivation, from not being able to quit you all).  My reason for posting it to begin with is important, I think.  I want to be sensitive to the fact that people see this Chez Tremblay sub-forum here at BetterMost as our homebase.  So most people are still starting their threads here.  But the moderators are all in support of Phillip's request that we begin to put topics where they go (polls in The Polling Place forum, movie biz news in the Movie Resources forum, etc.)  So I want our still healing community to know that threads aren't being moved willy nilly, but in a caring, conscious manner.

the invitation to the Brokeback ABCs:  I was asked to sticky this, and was happy to.  I agree I left it up a mite long (that being asleep thing getting in the way again.)  I am theoretically happy to sticky anything anyone thinks has value for the group.  Just ask. 

you're catching up on your PMs:  I got here after the long sleep and found a surprising number of PMs, mostly moderator-related.  Feeling a responsiblity to reply in a timely fashion to people on moderator-related matters, I put up that quicky sticky.  I  don't think it was up more than an hour.

Or maybe I think that the newly discovered and definitely awesomely cool sticky thread feature is being abused by those who have access to it.: This is the one place I think you are being unnecessarily rude in an open forum.  Please have the courage to address me directly.  But to answer you - yeah!  It is fun having the ability to sticky stuff.  And as I said, i want to use that power for good not ill, and I want to use it for anybody, just let know - as long as you think it would benefit a significant number of forum members.

Lastly, it's fine with me if you address your issues in the group setting (if you think it benefits the group(?)), but PM me to let me know they are there.  Someone else did that work for you.

Clarissa

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 05:43:02 pm »
David,

I told you once, I'll tell you again: you are SO Sinead O'Connor.

Stop calling attention to yourself with your blunt truthfulness or NO one will buy your next album!

hehehe...  Sorry, couldn't resist..............   ;D
I know I shall meet you on that final day! Water Walkin' Jesus, take me away...

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 05:44:06 pm »
Oh, Hi Mom!

;)
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline David

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 05:45:48 pm »
Which David?    (just kidding)  :angel:

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 05:45:59 pm »
sorry
s'all right
s'all right

or
s'all right
s'all right
s'all right
 or
give em hell

LMAO