Author Topic: 1.4 million DVDs sold yesterday!  (Read 11172 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: 1.4 million DVDs sold yesterday!
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 06:01:12 pm »
You know what, here locally (In Dallas) they have played quite a few Brokeback DVD commercials on the radio, which are immediately followed by King Kong DVD commercials. I thought that was weird at the time and now that you say someone tried to get you to buy it, it seems even weirder. Didn't King Kong come out last week?

Yes Kong came out last week and broke Universal's records with 6.5 million in its first week.....920k DVDs per day (average)....

However then Brokeback comes along (also a Universal release) and sells 1.4 million in its first DAY! 

Hmmm....wouldn't be surprised if Kong doesn't hold that record for too long.....

sounds like a very good week for Universal, who is doing distribution for both films.

so at minimum $17 a copy, BBM pulled in $24 million yesterday.

Yep....Universal pulled in $100 million in 1 week for Kong...

Sounds like BBM is gonna break MORE records if you ask me...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 06:12:42 pm »
You know what, here locally (In Dallas) they have played quite a few Brokeback DVD commercials on the radio, which are immediately followed by King Kong DVD commercials. I thought that was weird at the time and now that you say someone tried to get you to buy it, it seems even weirder. Didn't King Kong come out last week?

They've been playing the same ad combo here on San Jose's Country Western station 95.3 on EVERY COMMERCIAL BREAK.  I feel so good when I hear it.  An ad for BBM on our Country Western station!!!

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 06:14:52 pm »

They've been playing the same ad combo here on San Jose's Country Western station 95.3 on EVERY COMMERCIAL BREAK.  I feel so good when I hear it.  An ad for BBM on our Country Western station!!!

I wonder if Universal just decided to buy the ad times as a package deal.
"We take two ad times, but give us a deal on them."
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 06:19:16 pm »

I wonder if Universal just decided to buy the ad times as a package deal.
"We take two ad times, but give us a deal on them."

I bet you're right.....

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 07:09:18 pm »
I'm with Brandon--Narnia? Hiss!

Tilda may be madly stylish, but Narnia actually does "have an agenda." As Deep Throat (Hal Holbrook) says in 'All The President's Men': "Follow the money."

And I ain't foolin'.

I'm with you and Brandon, too, John.  Hiss, indeed.  I'll add in a meow (and not the good kind) as well.

On the brighter side, I'm lmao about Crash: The Director's Cut not even making the Top 25.  Wooooooooooeeee!
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 07:17:17 pm »
Yay for BBM!

I got my copy today and need to watch it to see if I got one of those messed up wide-screen/full screen jobs, but I'm holding it like it's the Grail or something.  I just want to look at it for a while.

I liked 'Narnia' just fine.  Yeah, Lewis wrote it with Christianity in mind, but even he in the end dismissed his own series as 'childern's stories' and they are.

I love the fact that it's supposed to be a Christian fable, Aslan as the Christ figure, but the denizens of Narnia celebrate Xmas!  Santa Claus makes a cameo appearance!  How can Aslan be Christ-like if they already know about the Christ?!?!

Silly.

Despite Lewis' attempt, he made more of an eastern religious fable, than a western one.  What a Tolkien wannabe.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2006, 07:33:48 pm »
Yay for BBM!

I got my copy today and need to watch it to see if I got one of those messed up wide-screen/full screen jobs, but I'm holding it like it's the Grail or something.  I just want to look at it for a while.

I liked 'Narnia' just fine.  Yeah, Lewis wrote it with Christianity in mind, but even he in the end dismissed his own series as 'childern's stories' and they are.

I love the fact that it's supposed to be a Christian fable, Aslan as the Christ figure, but the denizens of Narnia celebrate Xmas!  Santa Claus makes a cameo appearance!  How can Aslan be Christ-like if they already know about the Christ?!?!

Silly.

Despite Lewis' attempt, he made more of an eastern religious fable, than a western one.  What a Tolkien wannabe.

he also missed the point of self-sacrifice. if Aslan knew he'd come back to life, then was his death really a sacrifice?
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 08:28:42 pm »

Silly.

he also missed the point of self-sacrifice. if Aslan knew he'd come back to life, then was his death really a sacrifice?

Bingo!

Well said star.  No sacrificing oneself to death for others really counts if you know you're going to come back to life a few hours later! 

What kind of Indian-giver sacrifice is that?  It's more a card-in-the-sleeve/pulling a fast one/deceitful act than anything noble.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 01:24:41 pm »
I think that's great figure. The AA winner Million Dollar Baby made about USD 25,000,000 in DVD sales last year. The AViator $35,000,000

Revenge is sweet. So many right wing types were saying DVD sales for this would be mariginal because only a very limited group of ppl would buy the DVD. Those edgey non-gay ppl who went to see the film won't want to the DVD. Ha!

More money for FOCUS. Those ppl have to be so happy. Not bad for a film that cost only USD 15,000,000

I bought two so I did by deed.   

I wonder how much in DVD sales CRASH will make??? It won best picture. 

1.4million x 20USD =  pretty good.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2006, 01:31:12 pm »
I wonder how much in DVD sales CRASH will make??? It won best picture. 

Crash has sold just over 4.5 million copies in its 7 months of release (September)....

Brokeback sold 1.4 million in its first day!  As I said before....Brokeback wins AGAIN!