Author Topic: 1.4 million DVDs sold yesterday!  (Read 11088 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: 1.4 million DVDs sold yesterday!
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2006, 01:40:28 pm »
I love the fact that it's supposed to be a Christian fable, Aslan as the Christ figure, but the denizens of Narnia celebrate Xmas!  Santa Claus makes a cameo appearance!  How can Aslan be Christ-like if they already know about the Christ?!?!

Silly.

Despite Lewis' attempt, he made more of an eastern religious fable, than a western one.  What a Tolkien wannabe.

he also missed the point of self-sacrifice. if Aslan knew he'd come back to life, then was his death really a sacrifice?

Bingo!

Well said star.  No sacrificing oneself to death for others really counts if you know you're going to come back to life a few hours later! 

What kind of Indian-giver sacrifice is that?  It's more a card-in-the-sleeve/pulling a fast one/deceitful act than anything noble.

honestly, I loved the books when I read them as a 5th grader. I just don't see them as Christian allegory. I know there are Christians among us, and let me be clear, I don't hate Christians. I absolutely love the Christian messages in BBM. In Narnia, I just thought the attempt to draw an allegory is flawed. I think Lewis we just drawing from various religious sources for his material, rather than trying to teach any thing.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.