Author Topic: Not to make anybody feel ancient, but ...  (Read 6257 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Not to make anybody feel ancient, but ...
« on: September 29, 2019, 11:09:51 pm »
... I was looking at the birthdays and noticed that what I at first thought was Jake Gyllenhaal was turning 35. That was kind of shocking. Then I realized, no, that was JakeGyllenhaalic.

The real Jake Gyllenhaal is 38. Older (right?) than Jack Twist lives to in Brokeback Mountain. If the movie were made today, he and Heath could play their older roles without synthetic sideburns.  But Ang would to have used CGI technology like in that new Scorsese movie to make them look younger in the early scenes.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Not to make anybody feel ancient, but ...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 05:48:33 pm »
 :o Thanks for pointing this out, friend!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 05:51:04 pm »
... I was looking at the birthdays and noticed that what I at first thought was Jake Gyllenhaal was turning 35. That was kind of shocking. Then I realized, no, that was JakeGyllenhaalic.

The real Jake Gyllenhaal is 38. Older (right?) than Jack Twist lives to in Brokeback Mountain. If the movie were made today, he and Heath could play their older roles without synthetic sideburns.  But Ang would to have used CGI technology like in that new Scorsese movie to make them look younger in the early scenes.

If you go "by the book," he's got another year. Jack was 39.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 08:57:16 am »
If you go "by the book," he's got another year. Jack was 39.

It's confusing. I thought the same, but I double checked my memory on google, and it differed. It said the movie covered 20 years, so Ennis was 39, but that the last scene took place some time after Jack's death.

But if you mean by the book as in the actual words of the short story, then of course that would be the correct answer.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 09:10:09 am »
But if you mean by the book as in the actual words of the short story, then of course that would be the correct answer.

Yeah, that's why I used the quotes. Sorry if that was obscure. Either way, it's ... disheartening.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 02:31:47 pm »
This doesn't make me feel ancient, but other things do.  LOL

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 02:44:50 pm »
It always struck me that both were 19 in 1963, the same age as me. So, if they were real and still alive, they would now be 75  :(