Author Topic: Little Women  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Little Women
« on: January 02, 2020, 08:31:45 pm »
Kind of a Brokieesque movie, Little Women.

Here are some of the director's influences.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Little Women
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 09:00:39 pm »
I've always liked Gerwig's films. Maybe she's my favorite female director. Today I enjoyed her new romp/fantasy/existentialist movie "Barbie." Margot Robbie was very good in it, but Ryan Gosling stole the show.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 08:34:42 am »
Funny you should start this thread.

Last night I saw one part of the version that aired on Masterpiece on PBS, the one with Angela Lansbury as Aunt March. The production values are very high. I should probably have watched more if I could because the actors playing Laurie and Mr. Brooke were gorgeous. ...

From what I saw, Emily Watson was very good as Marmee.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 10:21:41 am »
I agree.  The PBS version was excellent, and more traditional than Gerwig's.  Great acting throughout. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 01:45:22 pm »
I've seen a handful of versions, even the opera. Couldn't pick one as my favorite, but the Timothee Chalamet version is what I remember most. That is Gerwig's work. I liked most of the actors, especially Florence Pugh as Amy. Here's a Richard Brody review of the film that I agree with.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 02:55:35 pm »
I've always liked Gerwig's films. Maybe she's my favorite female director. Today I enjoyed her new romp/fantasy/existentialist movie "Barbie." Margot Robbie was very good in it, but Ryan Gosling stole the show.

Agreed about Ryan Gosling, partly because his character is more layered than hers. He isn't even at peak hotness! (Though he has been, in snippets of interviews I've seen online since then.) The neighbor I went with said beforehand that she'd read somewhere the movie had "no strong male characters." Well, that depends on your definition of strong. Even not yet having seen it, I knew Ken was a large presence in it, which I think my neighbor may have thought that meant. But he wasn't strong in the sense of The Rock or Liam Neeson -- as Matt Gaetz's wife put it, she disliked the movie because it had too much "beta male energy." Which to me is a good reason to like it, but what do you expect from someone married to Matt Gaetz.

Greta Gerwig is certainly up there in my pantheon of female directors, although I also like Nicole Holofcener. Also -- a less cool choice, but her movies are enjoyable easy-watching -- Nancy Meyers.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 03:58:04 pm »
I agree.  The PBS version was excellent, and more traditional than Gerwig's.  Great acting throughout.

I was watching it and thinking that the Marches certainly seemed to live well in their genteel poverty.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.