Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152008 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #280 on: July 22, 2020, 03:24:26 pm »
I doubt any farmers would go to a plant nursery for their supplies, it is for house owners. I was caught out with my vegetable planting. My original plans were to go to Europe for 10 weeks April to June, our Autumn/early winter, so I did not plant any winter vegetables. Then as my trip was cancelled and lockdown approached (we were given 2 days notice) I went to the nursery for spinach seedlings and also checked at the Farmers market but there was a rush on them and I missed out. I have bought some since lockdown ended but they had not grown much when I last looked, they are under snow this morning. There were TV items about producers ploughlng all their flowers back into the ground as florists were all closed. No weddings and no mourners at funerals.
I do not know what happened with the agricultural sector. They kept producing under strict distancing rules. I do not think NZ has much chemical production, it would all be imported. I know medicines were restricted. usually I visit my GP every 3 months then go to the pharmacy and get 3 months supply. On my last visit, I received 1 month supply and have to go back every month for repeats. However they are free and the phamacy sent me a text reminder. We only pay $5 for 3 months supply of any prescribed medicine.
New Zealand had a hard lockdown and we are reaping the benefits now with no restrictions. Unlike Australia which kept many things open and at least one state is now having the worst numbers of Covid cases ever and is returning to lockdown.
There was an article in the Australian press yesterday discussing that New Zealand aimed for eradication and, fingers crossed, has succeeded while Australia only aimed for suppression and it seems to have not worked, at least in one state.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #281 on: July 24, 2020, 12:48:56 pm »
Today would have been the day…
Without Covid19, we'd be on the ferry right now, on our way to Scotland *sigh* The ferry was supposed to leave at 7PM, which is in roughly 20 minutes.

The good news is that the company was very helpful. They called me and together we worked it out. They undid my cancellation, then transferred my bookings into next year.
Now I have the same cottages one year later and my already payed deposit is fully valid for the transferred booking.
I'm not used to such generous and friendly customer service (I'm German after all. :laugh:) and very thankful for it. :)

Already looking forward to Scotland 2021 and to our Bavarian Forest hiking vacation starting soon! :D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #282 on: July 24, 2020, 01:09:16 pm »
Today would have been the day…
Without Covid19, we'd be on the ferry right now, on our way to Scotland *sigh* The ferry was supposed to leave at 7PM, which is in roughly 20 minutes.

:-\  Sorry about that, Chrissi, and sorry to all others who've had to cancel or postpone vacations.

I may have mentioned this already, possibly on this very thread, but I have a friend at work who, like me, used to live in New Orleans. She had been planning a trip to Italy in February or March, but then Italy blew up and she had to cancel. So as a consolation she went to New Orleans.  :o

She's fine, though.

Offline brianr

« Reply #283 on: July 24, 2020, 03:41:38 pm »
I love hiking in Bavaria so am quite jelaous.  My week holiday in Western Scotland in 2018 was ok but it rained every day.
I am organising a holiday on Stewart Island (Aotearoa/NZ's 3rd island) in November. I now have 10 going and have booked a 2nd cottage next door to the first.
I know 2 besides me have referred to it as our overseas holiday for 2020.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #284 on: July 28, 2020, 09:03:10 pm »
I'm on vacation this week (which is simply to say, I'm not working  :( ), and I'm spending a few days with my dad. He wanted to go to a farmers' market today. It was against my better judgment, because of both Covid-19 and the heat, but, as usual with him, I did not put my foot down.  :(  We got there early just after 8 a.m., so the weather was not  yet too hot, and the market was not as crowded as I was afraid it would be, and, of course, we were wearing our masks. One thing I noticed that I thought very interesting. Many of the market vendors are "Plain people," meaning Amish or Mennonites. I counted only about five who were wearing any type of face covering. For them it's probably a religious thing--God will protect them, and so forth--but seeing that, it no longer surprises me that after Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and their suburbs, Lancaster County has had one of the highest infection rates in Pennsylvania.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #285 on: July 29, 2020, 10:09:17 am »
How many of you are required by law to wear masks? The governor of Minnesota mandated mask wearing in any indoor public space (i.e., a store) throughout the state as of Saturday (many individual cities already had such requirements). Of course many people are outraged because they think the danger of COVID has been exaggerated and that requiring masks violates their civil liberties.

In one small town, a couple showed up at Wal-Mart wearing masks with big swastikas on them. Somebody took a video; the couple kept shouting something about how if we let the government require mask wearing we'll be living in Nazi Germany.

I think they got their history mixed up a bit -- they probably should have used Soviet Russia or something more like a dictatorship -- and their messaging was pretty poor. Wearing a big swastika does not suggest a warning against Nazism, but an embrace of it.

In happier news, I see that you can buy masks printed with a photo of the lower half of your face. They are kind of cool and kind of uncanny valley.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #286 on: July 29, 2020, 12:37:37 pm »
Mask wearing is the law in public places everywhere in Colorado. But, everywhere you see people not wearing them.

The only places I feel sure people will be masked up is if they lock their doors and only let you in if you are wearing a mask. It's a problem in those places too because a crowd can gather around the door waiting to get in.

Many people in Colorado feel that they don't need to wear a mask if they're outside. I have mine around my neck at all times and pull it up if I'm hiking and some people come in to view. Those hiking trails are typically narrow, not allowing 6 ft of distance when going past other hikers. The young people are most often maskless. Older people seem to get it.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #287 on: July 29, 2020, 03:33:02 pm »

For NJ as of July 9th.

N.J. will now require people wear masks outside to battle coronavirus

Brent Johnson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

People in New Jersey will now be required to wear masks outdoors in public when social distancing isn’t possible, under an executive order Gov. Phil Murphy signed Wednesday in his latest move to help stem the spread of the coronavirus.

Face coverings have been required at indoor public spaces in New Jersey — such as stores, eateries, government building, and on public transportation — since early April, right around when the pandemic was hitting the state the hardest. Masks have been only strongly encourage outdoors in that time.

That changes with Wednesday’s order, even though the state’s outbreak has slowed significantly in recent weeks.

Murphy stressed the order — which takes effect immediately — doesn’t require you to wear a mask if you’re walking alone or with your family in your neighborhood or at a beach or park and are standing at least 6 feet away from others.

Instead, the order mandates you mask up if you’re an outdoor setting where there are large gatherings and you can’t keep your distance from people other than your family members, caretakers, household members, or romantic partners.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/07/nj-will-now-require-people-wear-masks-outside-to-battle-coronavirus-murphy-says.html

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2020, 05:01:37 pm »
Masks were never required here. There was a lot of argument but the health officials said that you tended to touch your face more when wearing a mask and people felt they need not socially distance. They kept stressing about social distancing and hand washing. Workers in Supermarkets wore masks.
They now have to wear masks in Melbourne but not yet in Sydney although my sister tells me she does most times.
Hopefully at 1pm today they will announce that it has been 90 days since the last case of community transmission in New Zealand. Everything is back to normal here except for our borders.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #289 on: July 29, 2020, 05:13:14 pm »
Masks are not required here either. I have seen a couple of people wearing them on the street, but they are very few and far between.

Our health authorities say there's no scientific proof that they actually prevent transmission of the virus, and it's far more important to keep the distance and stay home if you have symptoms.

Some scientists don't agree, and criticise the authorites, debating in favour of wearing masks.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre