Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152161 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #610 on: June 11, 2021, 10:16:47 am »
We received word last evening that we no longer need to wear masks in the public areas (elevators, lobby) of my building.

That happened here about three weeks ago. I'm grateful for it, because I've been working in a co-working space and would not want to have to wear a mask all day. Though I know some people's jobs require it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #611 on: June 14, 2021, 12:36:31 pm »
Numbers have plummeted over here, the incidence is 16, about half of Germany has had their first shot (which already gives good protection) and about a quater is fully vaccinated.

Things continue to open up, many restrictions have been taken back, some restrictions are still in place.

People are now discussing to nix mask requirements. Too early for my share. Wearing a mask is a nuisance, not a major problem IMO. And it is THE most helpful safety measurement. The India variant is what concerns me (like Jeff). Even when the numbers are great right now, the India variant is just in front of our doors. 4 cases in Straßburg, France yesterday. Just an hour from me. So I rather keep the mask on for another few months instead of risking the momentary success.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #612 on: June 14, 2021, 12:46:22 pm »
Numbers have plummeted over here, the incidence is 16, about half of Germany has had their first shot (which already gives good protection) and about a quater is fully vaccinated.

Things continue to open up, many restrictions have been taken back, some restrictions are still in place.

People are now discussing to nix mask requirements. Too early for my share. Wearing a mask is a nuisance, not a major problem IMO. And it is THE most helpful safety measurement. The India variant is what concerns me (like Jeff). Even when the numbers are great right now, the India variant is just in front of our doors. 4 cases in Straßburg, France yesterday. Just an hour from me. So I rather keep the mask on for another few months instead of risking the momentary success.

Restrictions are continuing to drop here in NJ.  I still opt to wear my mask for now, even though I've received both vaccinations.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #613 on: June 15, 2021, 09:25:56 pm »
I rarely wear mine. It’s become unusual to see someone in masks.

I’m sure there are writers writing about how weird it is to see people masked and unmasked. I saw someone today I interviewed for an hour months ago and didn’t recognize him.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #614 on: June 26, 2021, 11:23:36 am »
I was just wondering. Since the Southern Hemisphere is now experiencing their winter, are virus cases growing? Brian, could you weigh in on this?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #615 on: June 26, 2021, 02:29:49 pm »
I rarely wear mine. It’s become unusual to see someone in masks.

I'm beginning to go without when I'm outdoors, but here it seems most businesses are requiring them to enter. I wore one in the farmers' market today, and I forgot to take it off after I left the market.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #616 on: June 26, 2021, 06:11:23 pm »
Some statistics:

Early in the pandemic, I regularly checked the website for the City of Philadelphia for pandemic statistics.

On April 15, 2020, the city reported a total of 7441 cases of COVID-19, with 222 deaths.

By November 12, 2020, the last time I checked, the city reported a total of 51,513 cases with 1904 deaths.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #617 on: June 26, 2021, 11:11:40 pm »

Australia is in their winter, and the cases seem to be on the rise there.  They are going into a 2 week lockdown now.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #618 on: June 27, 2021, 09:18:50 am »
Yes, I read this morning that a cluster of cases started with a Sydney airport limo driver and are growing.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #619 on: June 27, 2021, 01:54:49 pm »
I wish I'd thought to recommend this book before; it's kind of pertinent:

John Kelly, The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death, the Most Devastating Plague of All Time (HarperCollins, 2005).

(Well, maybe not any more, but maybe proportionally it still is.)

The Introduction contains this rather ominous warning (under the circumstances, you might even call it a prophecy):

"In 1995, the year I finished the book, Jonathan Mann, a professor at the Harvard University School of Public Health, warned that AIDS was the beginning of a frightening new era. 'The history of our time will be marked by recurrent eruptions of newly discovered diseases.'"

(It's actually a very good read.)