Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152004 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 08:48:17 am »
It was reported on local TV news this morning that the head of Infectious Diseases at the University of Pennsylvania predicts the pandemic will not peak in Philadelphia until the middle of May.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 08:52:59 am »
One thing that really keeps me sane is going for long walks with my dog. I live in a small village in a rural area; I'm out in the fields and woods within five minutes from my house. I'm thankful for that.

That sounds very, very nice. The weather here today is very nice, and it's tempting to go for a walk, but I'm not sure if I should. When I went out at lunchtime yesterday, it was eerie how empty the streets were. It was also cloudy and threatening rain, so that added to the eerie atmosphere.

I've also started some serious spring cleaning ::)  :laugh:

I wish I had the motivation to start that this weekend, but I don't.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 09:30:56 am »
What helps me?

Certainly not a daily body count; I can do without that. I limit the news to my daily fix of NPR. No TV news, ever.

I still go to work every day, and deal with constantly changing conditions.

At home, I've been cooking a lot, not so much cleaning. Nice to work on the garden in early spring.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 01:13:48 pm »
Working in the garden sounds very nice.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 01:23:46 pm »
I've enjoyed facetiming with friends who live abroad.

Also, I've been ordering dvds.  In honor of Terrence McNally, I've ordered "AndrĂ©'s Mother" and "Love! Valour! Compassion!"  Amazon's delivery times are really long right now; eBay is must faster and often has the same price.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 02:17:14 pm »
Couriers in NZ are only allowed to deliver essential items. Doubt DVDs are considered essential. Fortunately I had not got round to clearing out my large library of books. Many have not been read of over 30 years.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 03:22:15 pm »
I've enjoyed facetiming with friends who live abroad.

Also, I've been ordering dvds.  In honor of Terrence McNally, I've ordered "AndrĂ©'s Mother" and "Love! Valour! Compassion!"  Amazon's delivery times are really long right now; eBay is must faster and often has the same price.

You mean I'm not the only one who still uses dvds? ;D

I remember seeing Love! Valor! Compassion! in a movie theater.

Ebay is my usual go-to because mostly I can find things more easily there. When I'm looking for something specific, usually the number of listings isn't overwhelming, which I find is often the case--for me, anyway--at Amazon.

Even before COVID-19 hit the fan, I was rereading mystery novels in my library. It's been so long--maybe, indeed, 30 years or more--since I last read them that they're new stories again. I don't remember whodunnit.  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 06:41:00 pm »
You mean I'm not the only one who still uses dvds? ;D

I use DVDs too.  I also still buy CDs.  I get that probably almost everyone downloads  music and movies, but I want to have a physical copy of the movie or music in my posession.

I've been texting and chatting with people on forums or via Facebook. 

Another thing I've been doing during alone time is working on online jigsaw puzzles.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 08:53:39 pm »
I use DVDs too.  I also still buy CDs.  I get that probably almost everyone downloads  music and movies, but I want to have a physical copy of the movie or music in my posession.

Me, too.  :)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 09:42:03 pm »
I have a Nespresso Machine which is my favourite household item. I buy hot chocolate capsules which fit but are produced by a NZ company. I had a 3 month delivery of coffee capsules from Nespresso at the end of February but let the chocolate capsules run down over summer.  Now that it is autumn (only 12'C today and the same forecast for tomorrow) my thoughts turned to hot chocolate for lunch. I just checked the website for the NZ coffee and hot chocolate company and learnt that coffee has been declared non-essential so they are closed but have applied for reconsideration. Coffee is most essential for me  ;D