Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152122 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2020, 10:29:43 am »
Meanwhile, schools start to re-open tomorrow. Only for graduating classes respectively the two most senior classes. My son is among them.

And I remember when he started school. And now he's graduating. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2020, 03:15:42 pm »
Meanwhile, schools start to re-open tomorrow. Only for graduating classes respectively the two most senior classes. My son is among them. The schools have cleared out the classrooms, only 15 tables in each room, there is a complete mandatory hygiene schedule in place, one-way walking paths laid out and marked, lots of extra-ordinary school memorandums and so on.
While I think they're well-prepared, I think the weak point will be the school buses. I'm not sure the bus companies are equally well prepared.
Sorry about your position. Here the opposite is occurring. Only classes up to age 15 are open but then the end of our year and final exams are not until October/November. Only children of people who cannot find any alternative form of supervision are suppose to attend. When they opened last Wednesday I think I read only 1% attendance at primary school but 3% at early childcare. I guess it is much harder for parents who are working at home to care for the very young, they need more attention. But in the same way it is harder to keep them doing the right things health wise at the centre. I live opposite a primary school with an early childcare centre attached and walk through the grounds at the end of my walk. On Friday I could hear children in the early childcare centre but no evidence of anyone in the primary school.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2020, 11:21:26 am »
I was talking about this issue with my mother.  She works in a daycare.  There is no way to make young children understand social distancing.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2020, 12:49:21 pm »
Gov. Phil Murphy announced today that schools would not resume sessions until  September of this year.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2020, 02:24:22 pm »
Gov. Phil Murphy announced today that schools would not resume sessions until  September of this year.

Wanna bet they don't open then, either?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2020, 03:37:14 pm »
New Zealand had 0 new cases yesterday. The first time in about 50 days. However one swallow does not a summer make.  There is pressure from the leader of the opposition and mayors of regions which can be isolated to go down to a lower lockout level(2) but the Prime mInister is staying firm that no decision will be made until next Monday. I hope she can stay firm. They will announce on Thursday what will be allowed in level 2.
I would love to go out and have a coffee sitting in a cafe. Takeaway is not much use to me as I would have to drink it sitting in the car. I can make a good coffee with my Nespresso machine at home but, even if not meeting friends, it is nice to be sitting out with other people. It is 6 weeks now since we went into lockdown.
The Prime Minister of NZ is meeting today (by video link) with the National Cabinet of Australia (the Australian Prime Minister and all the State Premiers), the first time in history.  They will discuss what would be necessary to open up travel between the 2 countries. I would love to visit my sister before October when it stars to get too hot in Sydney. I have vouchers for the air fares.
If Level 2 allows us to travel here within NZ, I would like in June to go to some National Parks and do some hiking although it will be winter and I would not decide based on weather forecasts until a few days before. Although I have a lot of money tied up in vouchers for travel to Europe next year, I have cancelled a lot as well so money is there and the government wants us to spend money in NZ.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2020, 11:26:15 am »
EdelMar called me with the news that he had bought 2nd row seats for Sunday in the Park with George with Jake Gyllenhaal on our European trip for my birthday!  :D But because of the corona virus, the show was cancelled!  :(

So, this makes it likely that the Oktoberfest in Luzerne on September 5 will also be cancelled and many other things that he has so meticulously planned. Possibly we will have to put off our whole trip for a year, but we were planning to go to Scotland and around the Baltic Sea next year and spend the summer solstice in Finland.  ???
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2020, 02:35:00 pm »
Wanna bet they don't open then, either?

God, I hope it doesn't last that long.

Offline brianr

« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2020, 05:03:18 pm »
The original Oktoberfest in Munich has been cancelled but from memory it is in late September. They have just cancelled the big A&P show in Christchurch for November.
 I finally received an email last night from the UK company organising my 16 night tour of Albania and Kosovo which was to start today. I can rebook up until July 31 after that they will refund me the Au$3860. I am quite sure I will not be clear about the situation for next year by July 31. They are only just discussing about possibilities of travel between NZ and Australia sometime this year. You cannot travel between states within Australia at the moment so those borders will have to open first.
We will find out tomorrow whether we will be allowed to travel within NZ after we go from Level 3 lockdown to level 2, possibly next Tuesday.
I would not even contemplate travel to Europe in 2020. We had a second day with 0 new cases yesterday so fingers crossed.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2020, 04:07:46 am »
The original Oktoberfest in Munich has been cancelled but from memory it is in late September. They have just cancelled the big A&P show in Christchurch for November.
 I finally received an email last night from the UK company organising my 16 night tour of Albania and Kosovo which was to start today. I can rebook up until July 31 after that they will refund me the Au$3860. I am quite sure I will not be clear about the situation for next year by July 31. They are only just discussing about possibilities of travel between NZ and Australia sometime this year. You cannot travel between states within Australia at the moment so those borders will have to open first.
We will find out tomorrow whether we will be allowed to travel within NZ after we go from Level 3 lockdown to level 2, possibly next Tuesday.
I would not even contemplate travel to Europe in 2020. We had a second day with 0 new cases yesterday so fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for NZ!

tour of Albania and Kosovo which was to start today.

Aw, that sucks! Sorry to hear.

We're scheduled to travel to Scotland mid-July, but now I doubt it. Everything is already booked since last December, sigh.

Monika and I had plans to travel to Canada mid-August. We were just about to book our flights when Corona hit big time, so nothing is booked yet. If we can't travel in August, we hope for later in the year, maybe end of October/November.... But who knows.

If the family vacation in summer gets cancelled, I'm hoping for early October because my son has another period of school holidays at the time.

So basically, I think July might be too early but I'm still holding on to our bookings.
Our German government says international travel might not be possible for the whole year…  But I'm stubborn and refuse to give up hope for a fall vacation.