Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 151879 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2020, 06:33:43 pm »
I saw something today that I thought was rather peculiar.

I went to my bank on my lunch break. On my way home, a young woman dressed in a cap and academic gown was having her picture taken in the middle of South Broad Street. The location wasn't odd. Lots of people have their photos, even their wedding photos, taken standing on the median in the middle of the street with our Renaissance Revival City Hall as a backdrop.

What was peculiar was that the young woman was dressed as if for her college graduation, when nobody is holding graduation ceremonies.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2020, 08:27:49 pm »
Many Graduation ceremonies, which are common in May as our education year ends in Nov/Dec, have been cancelled here. Disappointing for the graduands as well as the city. The University is our biggest employer and graduation ceremonies bring many families into the city from all over the country.  There is always a procession of graduands and staff in gowns down our main street led by a bagpiper, sometimes 2 in one day.
Apparently some have been postponed until later in the year, not possible for everyone.
However there was a story in our paper about one student who was given a surprise graduation in the park by her fellow students (at 2 metres distance). They were unable to hire a gown and hood so made one up, apparently a colander was involved in the headwear. The student was American (so could not hang around) and already had several degrees, I think this was her doctorate so not particularly concerned but enjoyed the surprise party.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2020, 08:42:59 pm »
I still have my Bachelor of Arts hood (ermine, well rabbit fur) and gown hanging in the cupboard from 1966. I borrowed the mortar board. I use to wear it at Speech nights but that went out of fashion over the years. I also wore the hood when preaching but have not done that for 50 years. I should try to see it I can sell it to one of the hire firms in the city.  Although from Sydney University, the University of Otago has much the same.
My sister has a photo in her lounge room of my whole family at my graduation ceremony with me wearing the academic robes. I looked so young and only she (86 today) and I are still alive.
My 2nd post graduate diploma in library and information science was in 1995 and completed by correspondence from a regional university 450 km from Sydney. I was going to attend but could only get one day off work so was going to drive down the night before.  My sister planned to take my mother a day earlier but Mum was in her late 80's and they decided it would be too much for her so I did not attend. Disappointed now.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2020, 09:57:12 pm »
What was peculiar was that the young woman was dressed as if for her college graduation, when nobody is holding graduation ceremonies.

I'm sure there are lots of such women around the country. High school and college graduates are really bummed out about not having ceremonies or parties or any of the other stuff most graduates do. So different communities are trying different ways to make the best of it with remote events and so on. And some young people doing stuff like the woman you saw to compensate.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2020, 08:22:26 am »
I'm sure there are lots of such women around the country. High school and college graduates are really bummed out about not having ceremonies or parties or any of the other stuff most graduates do. So different communities are trying different ways to make the best of it with remote events and so on. And some young people doing stuff like the woman you saw to compensate.

All ceremonies for the graduates are cancelled here, too. I feel bad for them. You go to school for 13 effin' long years and then get 'robbed' of all the different festivities at the end. I remember what an important and joyous time it was for my daughters.

I've just had an idea: this year's graduates should be invited for all events along with next year's graduates. Just make it a huuuuge double fĂȘte. :D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2020, 09:28:45 am »
I've just had an idea: this year's graduates should be invited for all events along with next year's graduates. Just make it a huuuuge double fĂȘte. :D

Good idea, at least for many. It would be a nice reunion for graduates a year later, too.

(Assuming large gatherings are OK a year from now.  :-\)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2020, 04:19:08 pm »
I noticed that President Obama is scheduled to give a broadcast this evening as a commencement speech to all the graduates. I'm going to try to catch it. Later on, the Dalai Lama will have a podcast on his web site and Facebook page. Some high-class entertainment for a Saturday evening!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2020, 09:41:00 pm »
I saw something today that I thought was rather peculiar.

Happened again today. I went out for a walk this afternoon and saw another young woman in a cap and gown.

The temperature was, like, 80 F here this afternoon. When I went for my walk, the park in Rittenhouse Square had a lots of people in groups of two or three or more--but the groups all seemed to be spread out to keep a distance from each other.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2020, 12:06:54 am »
Lots of reports of places opening up.  I'm still following precautions and wearing my masks, and washing and using alcohol on my hands and face.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2020, 11:37:17 am »
Happened again today. I went out for a walk this afternoon and saw another young woman in a cap and gown.

Have you seen the cover of the latest New Yorker?

In our paper today is a story about a family with a graduating kid watching some remote graduation program in their living room. I haven't read it yet but I'm sure that's going on all over the place. And I saw a story in which a photographer made portraits of graduates -- cool ones, outdoors and in interesting places, wearing interesting outfits -- as a gesture to make up for what they're missing.