Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152493 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2020, 04:44:44 pm »
I plan to have my hair cut this morning. It has been 11 weeks but they only reopened last Thursday. I usually go every 5 to 6 weeks. I planned to go the day before Good Friday as I was leaving for Sydney and Europe the following Tuesday.  I was concerned that, as I would be away 10 weeks, I would need to get a haircut in Athens and I do not speak Greek.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #171 on: May 17, 2020, 06:40:00 pm »
Wow, that's kind of daring compared to how buckled down NZ was recently. You can't cut somebody's hair from six feet away.

Hair stylists here are not yet permitted to return to work. Nor are restaurants, which is sad because a lot of restaurants are closing permanently.

Offline brianr

« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2020, 09:00:19 pm »
Haircut done and I feel much better. Usually you just walk in and wait no more than 10 minutes except during school holidays which I avoid but not possible in January.
I arrived at 10 am and was told I had to book now but got a booking for 10.45am I went and had a coffee at Muffin Break nearby in the Food Court and wandered around the Mall.  I actually got a free coffee (every 5th one free). I usually go there about 3 times per month. The only person wearing a mask in the Food Court was the lady cleaning tables and I saw her scratch her nose once. The girls cutting hair had masks but not the girl on the desk and the girl cutting mine pushed hers off her face so she could talk. She has cut my hair before and she did a good job. I gave her a $10 tip, we rarely tip in NZ, they get good wages. I am not sure during lockdown but the government provided 80% wages to all employees who were unable to work and it was up to the employer whether they would make it up or not. I do not usually chat much but did today as I told her I lived alone and had not seen any of my friends for 7 weeks. Have not had a phone call for over a week now. I do talk on skype with my sister in Sydney every morning.
My area - the South of the South Island (25,500 sq miles and 340,00 population) has not had a new case in 29 days and only 1 remaining at the moment. I think the whole of NZ (just announced we have reached 5 million people due to so many returning home) has only had about 5/6 new cases in the last week and 96% of cases have recovered (21 died). I just hope we are not relaxing too early. I kept my 2 metre distance while walking around the mall except, of course, with the hairdresser.
Restaurants opened last Thursday. I have only been to cafes for coffee and cake. You sign in (as at the hairdresser). Groups cannot be more than 10 and tables are more spaced than normal so that groups are at least a metre apart. Bars are opening next Thursday but people have to be seated to be served, no standing around.
Our Prime Minister Jacinda and her partner were turned away from a cafe on Saturday morning as there were no spare tables but then the manager chased them down the street because a table became available. Said he had done the same for other people. Cannot imagine that happening to Trump. Jacinda's partner, Gayford, said it was his fault in not booking.

Offline brianr

« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2020, 09:26:39 pm »
While I was typing, the 1pm news conference was held. There was an item last week that the 1pm news conference has replaced the sports report for everyone. More people are back at work and schools returned today so numbers watching are probably lower now. Anyway no new cases in NZ today. We had 3 days with no cases then sadly a 4 year old boy yesterday.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2020, 05:26:50 pm »
I feel so sorry for the young people of the world. Today the news came out from my local parks and rec: summer camps, activities, sports...all cancelled. The pools will be closed all summer. Pickleball and basketball courts will be open but no more than 4 people can use them at a time.

I was gardening and noticed that my neighbor's daughter, who looks to be college age, was sleeping in a lawn chair. Later, she got up and walked into the house. She lives in the basement of her parents' house. Such a sorry sight, all slumped over and with a big frown on her face.  :'(
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2020, 06:34:25 pm »
I feel so sorry for both young people and old people. (And, well, I guess some in-between people, too.)

But young people are at their prime socializing/dating/learning/career building years, and they're being thwarted.

Old people already suffer, as a group, from intense and harmful social isolation. Now they can't even see their family members.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #176 on: May 22, 2020, 01:54:47 pm »
Old people already suffer, as a group, from intense and harmful social isolation.

I wouldn't agree that all old people suffer from intense and harmful social isolation. Or even a majority of them us. But I'm sure you didn't mean that.

I've learned to live with it, but I used to get annoyed by people who would look at me and see my gray hair and pity me. There have been those who seemed resentful that I even exist, because I remind them of how they've neglected their older loved ones.

My friend M, who just turned 80, has a refreshing point of view. He says there are people who are cats and people who are dogs. In these days of self quarantine, the dog people are going stir crazy, whereas the cat people are serene. He's a very social person, but is able to satisfy his needs online and with phone calls. He lives alone, and his doctor has forbidden him to go anywhere or have anyone come into his house. People can visit if they stay outside, 6 ft away, and wear a mask.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brianr

« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2020, 03:40:45 pm »
Well I must be a dog person. I do hate cats  ;D.  I am 76 and was going crazy.
Thankfully I am going to the Farmers Market today, usually every 2nd week but last was March 21. It reopened last Saturday but I thought I would let it settle down a bit.
At the moment we cannot meet in groups more than 10. My walking group which I co-ordinate has over 40 on the email list and can have from 16 to over 30 on any one walk. I am waiting to hear the new announcement on Monday regarding group size. If it goes to 20, I will take names for June 2. The next level difficulty group above ours walked last Tuesday but they were going to split into 2 groups and rarely have more than 12-14.
Some of my friends tell me they are being cautious about going out, they did not go to the Supermarket like me but they are all couples so have a partner to talk to.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #178 on: May 22, 2020, 07:03:56 pm »
My friend M, who just turned 80, has a refreshing point of view. He says there are people who are cats and people who are dogs. In these days of self quarantine, the dog people are going stir crazy, whereas the cat people are serene. He's a very social person, but is able to satisfy his needs online and with phone calls. He lives alone, and his doctor has forbidden him to go anywhere or have anyone come into his house. People can visit if they stay outside, 6 ft away, and wear a mask.

Oh, I like that theory!!!  Very interesting!   I would be a cat person.  I'm perfectly fine in my apartment, chatting with friends online, and watching TV, doing my daily workouts would be my ball of string.  LOL

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #179 on: May 22, 2020, 09:13:28 pm »
I wouldn't agree that all old people suffer from intense and harmful social isolation. Or even a majority of them us. But I'm sure you didn’t mean that.

Oh sorry, you’re right. I meant that older people as a demographic, statistically speaking, are more likely to describe themselves a feeling socially isolated. Which makes sense given their circumstances in modern Western culture. Within that group are a range of preferences just as in other age groups.