Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 151893 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2020, 10:05:38 pm »
They seem to be common on concert tickets, scanned at door entry. Also on tickets I have bought when touring in Europe. I thought they were an advance on the barcodes that I used as a librarian. I did not know the correct term for them until now.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #201 on: May 29, 2020, 08:37:20 am »
It’s funny, QR codes were big here for a short period maybe 5 years ago but I don’t know how much they’re used now.

When I go to the ballet, the ushers and "ticket takers" have some sort of device (looks vaguely like a handgun) that they use to scan tickets, which have bar codes. They don't take or tear the tickets anymore. (Fine with me; I use the tickets as bookmarks.  ;D )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #202 on: June 04, 2020, 09:19:17 am »
Uh-oh. Looks worse and worse for our family vacation.

While most European countries start to loosen up travel restrictions (taking effect mid-June) the good ole Brits just have to do it vice versa! ::)

So far, Brits allowed foreign people into their country, pandemic be damned, but scanned their temperature and reserved the right to refuse entry when someone seemed to be sick in any way.

Now, when everybody else opens back up, they demand every person coming into UK to strictly quarantine for two weeks. Coming into effect next Monday, June 8th.

At the end of June we have to make a definite decision whether we can travel or not. I doubt the quarantine measures will be lifted until then. That will be the end of our family vacation, sigh. :(

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #203 on: June 04, 2020, 09:58:04 am »
At the end of June we have to make a definite decision whether we can travel or not. I doubt the quarantine measures will be lifted until then. That will be the end of our family vacation, sigh. :(

I'm sorry to hear that, Chrissi. Fingers crossed for you.

I've always envied Europeans for being able to go from country to country as easily as Americans go from state to state. But I guess in this case, it's a disadvantage.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #204 on: June 04, 2020, 03:43:12 pm »
I am sorry, Chrissi but I would not want to go to the UK this year anyway. Can't you go to one of the many lovely places in Germany?
I should be in the Greek Islands at the moment. I had already paid Au$12,000 (US$8.500). I have received about $3000 refund so far and am waiting on another $4000 (they say August). The rest is in credit vouchers, hopefully I will lose less than $500.
However I am not sure if I will be able to travel to Europe next year or ever again. I have fingers crossed for Australia in late September or October ( I have vouchers for the flights). We have had no new cases for 14 days and there is only 1 actual case left in the country. Australia is not so good but improving and there is hope that travel between us will be allowed, some say July but more likely September.
I transferred AU$4000 from Australia to New Zealand last week and have booked accommodation for 5 nights in the Mountains next week. Prices are low as there are no international travellers, usually you have to book months in advance. I will drive about 900km. I am also looking at a new TV.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #205 on: June 04, 2020, 04:45:35 pm »
OH Chrissi, I'm sorry to hear about the family vacation.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #206 on: June 04, 2020, 05:12:17 pm »
I really hope my European vacation isn't cancelled, starting in mid-August. Anything to get out of the ununited states.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #207 on: June 05, 2020, 10:37:04 am »
I really hope my European vacation isn't cancelled, starting in mid-August. Anything to get out of the ununited states.

Good luck!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #208 on: June 05, 2020, 02:05:13 pm »
There are a number of reports showing that Covid-19 cases are on the rise in the US due to the recent crowds out to celebrate Memorial Day two weeks ago.

Now, with these protests, I'm sure we'll see another increase.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #209 on: June 05, 2020, 02:33:58 pm »
Pennsylvania has gone Yellow (at least for now, anyway). I can now eat at a restaurant, but I still can't get a haircut.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.