Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 151872 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #310 on: August 13, 2020, 09:32:31 am »
Last night we had all TV programs interrupted for an emergency announcement by the Prime Minister and the Director of Health. A family of 4 have developed Covid with as yet no known source. The city of Auckland (over 1 million people) has gone back to level 3 (all non-essential services, schools, restaurants etc closed, no unnecessary travel) from midday today until at least Friday. The rest of the country is going to level 2 so back to social distancing, recording movement etc. I had put off my visit to the supermarket (I go either Tuesday or Wednesday) to today as I was tired after hiking yesterday. So I have to go this morning, not sure if I will go for coffee after as usual, it will be before midday. I think I will cancel my coffee group for tomorrow.  As I said, it is like we live on a different planet

I heard about this yesterday, I'm sorry to hear it.  Have they been able to determine the contact/cause?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #311 on: August 13, 2020, 09:47:03 am »
What I heard was that the father works for a "cold store" selling food and they think the virus hitchhiked in on some imported frozen food.  :o
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #312 on: August 13, 2020, 09:50:19 am »
What I heard was that the father works for a "cold store" selling food and they think the virus hitchhiked in on some imported frozen food.  :o

That's scary! I've stopped worrying very much about touching products in stores -- even those that aren't frozen, which you'd think might kill the virus. Here, it wouldn't have to hitchhike in on imported food.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #313 on: August 13, 2020, 10:05:06 am »
Yes, that could have some ramifications for processing plants, grocery workers, and any of us who eat (hey, that's all of us!)

I vaguely remember reading that the virus isn't killed by cold...yet another superpower of it!!  :o
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #314 on: August 13, 2020, 06:17:49 pm »
I vaguely remember reading that the virus isn't killed by cold...yet another superpower of it!!  :o

That makes sense, because apparently it's not even a living thing, like bacteria. I read an article about it in the New Yorker, and came away with a little more understanding of the challenges of treating it. But I still don't really get it. If it's not alive, what is it? Why does it jump from host to host?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #315 on: August 14, 2020, 12:50:30 pm »
That makes sense, because apparently it's not even a living thing, like bacteria. I read an article about it in the New Yorker, and came away with a little more understanding of the challenges of treating it. But I still don't really get it. If it's not alive, what is it? Why does it jump from host to host?

You could ask the same questions about the flu.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #316 on: August 14, 2020, 01:35:29 pm »
You could ask the same questions about the flu.  :(

I knew that doctors tend to overprescribe antibiotics, giving them to patients who have the kind of sickness that antibiotics don't help, often just to placate a demanding patient, and that as a result the antibodies are becoming increasingly immune to them, leaving many antibiotics useless and leaving us with the prospect of another big disaster.

But I never could remember which was which -- viral vs. bacterial --  and didn't know the explanation at the microscopic level. I guess it's because viruses aren't antibodies or even bodies; they're just things.

I don't know where I first heard this explanation from Dr. Fauci, whether here on BetterMost or where, but he noted that HIV and herpes are also viruses, which is why they haven't been definitively "cured." Chicken pox, a virus, remains in your system and can pounce back years later as shingles.

There was one exception he said. Polio, I think?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #317 on: August 14, 2020, 03:37:02 pm »
I knew that doctors tend to overprescribe antibiotics, giving them to patients who have the kind of sickness that antibiotics don't help, often just to placate a demanding patient, and that as a result the antibodies are becoming increasingly immune to them, leaving many antibiotics useless and leaving us with the prospect of another big disaster.

But I never could remember which was which -- viral vs. bacterial --  and didn't know the explanation at the microscopic level. I guess it's because viruses aren't antibodies or even bodies; they're just things.

I don't know where I first heard this explanation from Dr. Fauci, whether here on BetterMost or where, but he noted that HIV and herpes are also viruses, which is why they haven't been definitively "cured." Chicken pox, a virus, remains in your system and can pounce back years later as shingles.

There was one exception he said. Polio, I think?

That's become a real problem, bacteria become resistant because of overuse of antibiotics.

I'm not clear on what you mean by polio as an exception. It can't come back, but I have read about some people who survived it getting some sort of syndrome related to it decades after they had polio.

Measle, mumps, rubella, and smallpox are all viruses, and once you're vaccinated against them you're in the clear, I think.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #318 on: August 14, 2020, 06:30:01 pm »
Smallpox virus has been officially eradicated from the world. I was vaccinated before my first trip to Asia and Europe in 1974. It was an unpleasant vaccination because you were given live cowpox virus so usually developed a small fever. Vaccination is no longer needed
Polio does still exist in a very few countries but since vaccines were developed it is now almost negligible. They estimated more than 350 000 cases in 1988  but there were 22 reported cases in 2017.  If vaccination stopped, it could quickly develop again.
Measles is a virus. Many of us older folk had it as children so are now immune. It can cause severe problems in populations that are not vaccinated as happened in Samoa and Tonga last year. It is a worry in NZ among Pacifica populations who are influenced by anitvaxxers. My opinion of antivaxxers could not be repeated in public.
You can read about the most deadly viruses here, makes my skin crawl
https://www.livescience.com/56598-deadliest-viruses-on-earth.html

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #319 on: August 14, 2020, 06:50:03 pm »
Viruses are nasty.  There’s some debate as to whether they are “alive”. They carry genetic material and can reproduce, but they can’t really live on their own or very long, without a host. So, they’re kind of parasites.

Even creepier are prions, which are mutant proteins that also want to replicate and cause trouble. Prions are responsible for mad cow disease and many other scary neuro-degenerative diseases.