Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152048 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #330 on: August 25, 2020, 03:15:40 pm »
Well, to each his own. Other movies from that era I think do hold up: Big and Back to the Future. A lot of the others I never saw in the first place and/or am not tempted watch/rewatch to now. One I think is decidedly worse from my current perspective: Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Never saw any of them. Never even tempted. I don't like stories where kids end up in adult bodies, or vice versa. I don't like time travel stories. I don't like stories about high school kids.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: 2020 Trip to Europe
« Reply #331 on: August 25, 2020, 03:20:41 pm »
I'm leaving Friday morning for the East Coast and will then fly to the UK for two weeks of quarantine before proceeding to the Continent.

I've lost track. Is FRiend Lee still in quarantine in Edinburgh?  ???

She must have her laptop with her. It'd be nice if she'd report in and tell us what it's like.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #332 on: August 25, 2020, 03:23:53 pm »
Never saw any of them. Never even tempted. I don't like stories where kids end up in adult bodies, or vice versa. I don't like time travel stories. I don't like stories about high school kids.

Well, like I say, to each their own.  :)

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #333 on: August 25, 2020, 10:40:36 pm »
Big and Back To The Future were ok.  I enjoyed them the one time I saw them, but never saw them more than once.

Movies about high school kids.....I kinda agree with Jeff.  16 Candles, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Mean Girls, Pretty In Pink......meh.

There are three that I can think of that I will watch each time they come on:

Grease,  a musical, but it appeals to me.  Heathers, and Breakfast Club - I don't know why these two catch my attention, but any time they're on, I watch.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #334 on: August 26, 2020, 09:11:58 am »
Big and Back To The Future were ok.  I enjoyed them the one time I saw them, but never saw them more than once.

Movies about high school kids.....I kinda agree with Jeff.  16 Candles, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Mean Girls, Pretty In Pink......meh.

There are three that I can think of that I will watch each time they come on:

Grease,  a musical, but it appeals to me.  Heathers, and Breakfast Club - I don't know why these two catch my attention, but any time they're on, I watch.

I don't have any special interest in high-school movies, but for me it has less to do with the setting than the quality of the individual film. For me, Big and Back to the Future are genuine classics; I saw them in theaters, then watched them on video with my sons when they were little; they liked them, too. Easy A, starring Emma Stone, kind of an updated feminist high-school version of the Scarlet Letter, is very good, as is Juno.

I have no interest in Brat Pack films. Or rather, I have no interest in 1980s John Hughes movies; it's probably not the Brats' fault.

Here are the ones I can think of. There's gotta be others, including dramas. I think studios like them because they know teenagers are more likely than adults to see a movie multiple times.

Like: Big, Back to the Future, Mean Girls. Also, Easy A, Juno

Kind of like: Dazed and Confused and that one where Matthew Perry turns into his younger self, played by Zach Efron, mainly because the latter is hot in it

Intensely dislike: Ferris Bueller

Meh: Grease, Breakfast Club, that one where John Cusack holds up a boom box to his girlfriend's window

Never seen and have no interest in seeing: 16 Candles, Pretty in Pink

Never seen but might possibly find them interesting: Heathers, Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #335 on: August 26, 2020, 10:38:54 am »
Why all the hate for Ferris Bueller?

I highly recommend Heathers.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #336 on: August 26, 2020, 11:05:54 am »

Because it portrays Matthew Broderick (!) as a cool kid, but actually he's a jerk. It all seems phony. It's by John Hughes.

I do like this scene, though.

I highly recommend Heathers.

Good to know, thanks! I'm always looking for movies to stream. I'll overlook your defense of Ferris Bueller as an aberration in your otherwise excellent taste.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #337 on: August 26, 2020, 12:06:28 pm »
Because it portrays Matthew Broderick (!) as a cool kid, but actually he's a jerk. It all seems phony. It's by John Hughes.

I guess most teen films are phony.  But I like the cleverness, the breaking of the fourth wall.  I think JH said it was his love letter to Chicago.

I do like this scene, though.

Me too!

Good to know, thanks! I'm always looking for movies to stream. I'll overlook your defense of Ferris Bueller as an aberration in your otherwise excellent taste.

Ha!  Beware, thought, Heathers is bizarre and surreal.  It's become a cult classic.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #338 on: August 26, 2020, 02:01:45 pm »

I don't hate it. I can't hate something I've never seen. I just have no interest in seeing it.
For the record I don't hate Matthew Broderick, either, though I still think he was an odd choice for Glory, which is a film I like very much. I made sure to visit the Shaw memorial once.

Easy A, starring Emma Stone, kind of an updated feminist high-school version of the Scarlet Letter, is very good, as is Juno.

The whut?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #339 on: August 26, 2020, 02:05:01 pm »
I guess most teen films are phony.

Even if it does turn out to be phony, I can think of one teen film I'd like to see some day: Love, Simon.