Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152088 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #370 on: November 08, 2020, 06:41:50 am »
I was worried to hear that in Germany, although cases are spiking, the schools and day care centers are being kept open. How is that working out for you, Chrissi?

It's not sitting well with me. Even though children are not a main factor in spreading the virus, they still are a factor. Schools have come up with good solutions - but then the kids are put into crowded school buses; no distance possible, they are packed like sardines. As usual, as if there were no virus. I have heard that bus lines have been stocked up, there are more buses running now to reduce the amount of pupils per bus. Not for my son however, not with our bus line.

I will never understand why schools don't go back to the 50/50 system they had before summer break: one week you go to school, the other week you work from home (online and offline). Kids would still have social contacts, teachers would still have overview over a pupil's state of work, they could also still reach them in person. And the pressure on schools and buses would be cut in half! Makes is so much easier to keep distance.

As for day care: even worse, because parents are a daily factor here! In daycare you have daily contacts not only to the kids, but also to their parents and extended family. Add the fact that you can't keep distance from the kids, and you can't wear a mask. Great. I get sneezed on, coughed, on and spit on more or less daily.

Right now, I'm having a cold (hopefully), I've stayed home last week and will stay home next week, too. But after that, well…

Schools and daycare centers stay open so parents can go to work. The workforce, thus the economy, would suffer too much if all parents stayed at home with their children. That's the tenor.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #371 on: November 08, 2020, 01:42:25 pm »
Cases are spiking everywhere.

My family is planning a quiet Thanksgiving, just me, and my parents and brother Chris, who lives at home.

I've told my mom that they shouldn't start hoarding, however, given that the cases are going up, they should consider stocking up on some essentials to lessen their need to leave the house.

That is eminently sensible advice.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #372 on: November 08, 2020, 01:48:00 pm »
Right now, I'm having a cold (hopefully), I've stayed home last week and will stay home next week, too. But after that, well…

Thinking of you and your family, liebchen!  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #373 on: November 08, 2020, 06:43:29 pm »
Thanks for the update Chrissi. I hope it's just a cold. Be extra careful, because your defenses are down when you have a cold. Stay away from those charming little germbags!

The virus is skulking ever closer to me. I saw my daughter and grandchildren last Tuesday, and their other grandmother saw them on Wednesday. Then, on Friday my daughter gets a call from the grandmother that her husband may have COVID (they are both mask deniers). So, now I can't see the children for two weeks, at least. Grandfather refuses to get a test too. So stubborn, and makes it harder for everybody. Watch out, I may be extra chatty in the coming days as I'm more cooped up than ever.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #374 on: November 08, 2020, 11:22:41 pm »
That is eminently sensible advice.

I thought so too, and I believe they're going to listen to me.

I have some extra cash this week, so I'm going out on Wednesday and hit the supermarket and drug store myself.  I plan to get stuff like non-perishable foods, shaving cream, razors,  immunity boosters, and other items that I can keep for a while in my place, so that I'll need to go out less too.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #375 on: November 09, 2020, 04:54:59 pm »
...and maybe a new shower curtain....?

Your friends will thank you!!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #376 on: November 09, 2020, 09:47:15 pm »
::)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #377 on: November 12, 2020, 05:12:41 pm »
The virus is skulking ever closer to me. I saw my daughter and grandchildren last Tuesday, and their other grandmother saw them on Wednesday. Then, on Friday my daughter gets a call from the grandmother that her husband may have COVID (they are both mask deniers). So, now I can't see the children for two weeks, at least. Grandfather refuses to get a test too. So stubborn, and makes it harder for everybody. Watch out, I may be extra chatty in the coming days as I'm more cooped up than ever.

Update: almost a week later, daughter's in-laws still have not tested themselves. They officiated at a funeral at their church two weeks ago, where it's likely they contracted the virus. Since they were not able to lead church services last Saturday, they asked their son to do it. On Tuesday, he came down with a cough. He went to the testing center but wasn't able to get in. He went back yesterday and was able to receive a test after sitting in line for three hours. We don't know the results yet. My daughter is hopping mad.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #378 on: November 12, 2020, 05:40:44 pm »
The difference between our countries is amazing.
Yesterday we had one woman in Auckland (a city of over a million) test positive and the source was unknown. The shop where she works has been closed for deep cleaning, a pop up testing station has been opened near the building where she lives, she has been sent to a managed isolation centre and everyone in the city who can has been asked to work from home. There are queues at the testing stations.   The Prime Minister has flown to the capital for an emergency cabinet meeting this morning.
However overnight analysis seems to link her case with a defence official who caught it about 10 days ago while working at a managed isolation hotel for returnees. This will be confirmed today. They will try to discover how she caught it from him, no obvious link at the moment. He has already infected 2 colleagues who he met before being tested and all are now in managed isolation. So we have 4 cases in the community and are waiting to learn any developments. The Prime Minister will probably speak to the nation this afternoon.
I live at the other end of the country but am travelling with 9 others to our southern island on Monday. If lockdown levels are increased, I think the only result will be that we will have to wear masks on the ferry.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #379 on: November 12, 2020, 08:58:39 pm »
The difference between our countries is amazing.

Last summer my son was bartending on a tour boat in Chicago. One of the employees tested positive. My son and several of the other employees refused to go in to work, despite the manager pressuring them to do so. The manager himself was under pressure, because the owner insisted on the boat staying open, which it apparently did.

Recipe for a lawsuit, at the very least.