Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 151951 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #430 on: February 19, 2021, 04:46:57 pm »
I'm concerned about increased random violence that crime fighters say is related to the pandemic fatigue, isolation, additional regulation, social disruption, and economic strife. Things like domestic and neighbor disputes escalating into violence, road rage, and the like. Is this a problem in other countries?  :'(

Violent crime is way up here. There's been a wave of carjackings. Last weekend, a vehicle was carjacked with a 1-year-old in it. Luckily, it was found two hours later and the baby was fine. But often the people with their cars have been pushed to the ground and things like that.

I hear the crime wave more often attributed to the George Floyd unrest than to COVID, partly because Minneapolis police are leaving the force and/or underpolicing out of anger because many citizens, including some city council members, wanted to abolish the Police Department. They've since softened that position, but it seems likely there will be some reorganization of the department.

What has increased with COVID is homelessness. The usual kind because people lose their jobs and can't pay rent. But also, homelessness among teens who leave home to avoid being trapped in households with domestic abuse, substance abuse, mental illness, family conflicts over LGBTQ issues, etc. Meanwhile, schools, stores, restaurants and coffee shops have been closed (they're semi-open on and off) so kids have no place to seek respite. I wrote about this last earlier this week.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #431 on: February 21, 2021, 06:11:28 am »
I'm concerned about increased random violence that crime fighters say is related to the pandemic fatigue, isolation, additional regulation, social disruption, and economic strife. Things like domestic and neighbor disputes escalating into violence, road rage, and the like. Is this a problem in other countries?  :'(

No. Pandemic fatigue, yes. We're all fed up with restrictions, I know I am. I would love nothing more than having big birthday celebrations with the whole family, meeting with friends, etc. Most of all, I miss travelling so much!
I had so hoped to get to Canada this year, but well…..

Meanwhile I'd love to plan any vacation, any road trip, any small trip over a long weekend, just anything. Drives me up the walls; I started checking airfares, plotting routes, etc. - just for the heck of it, but in reality I have nowhere to go :'(

Numbers have been going down in Germany since mid-December, when we started our second big lockdown. Two month on, we're still in lockdown. Now the cases are going up again, despite the lockdown! It's the new variants that make the numbers go up. It just takes a little bit of hope from people.
You go into lockdown, you adhere to the rules, numbers are falling, you're thinking about easing restrictions - and then wham! numbers are on the rise again. It's a sucker punch >:(

But I haven't heard about rising violence. Domestic/child abuse might have risen over the last year. Sounds logical, but so far there are no data about it.

Just yesterday I've heard that burglaries have gone way down. People are at home all the time, and I guess even burglars shy back from the risk of catching Corona instead of money.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #432 on: February 21, 2021, 06:32:05 am »
Another piece of news I've suspected all along and have now confirmed it that my occupation (Erzieherin = people who take care of small children in nurseries, kindergartens, etc.) has the highest number Corona infections of all occupations! :o
We're higher even than nurses working in hospitals. We're also higher than teachers because teachers have more distance to their pupils.

Nurses have at least protective clothing, we have not. We do get masks, and we have to wear them when we leave our workspace, which is our assigned classroom. But within our classroom with 10 children and two or three colleagues, we don't wear masks.
You can't wear them with the youngest children. They need to see our faces to understand and they need to see our mouth movements to hear.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #433 on: February 21, 2021, 10:46:44 am »
You can't wear them with the youngest children. They need to see our faces to understand and they need to see our mouth movements to hear.

Wow, that's dangerous. Can people with your job get on the priority list for vaccination?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #434 on: February 21, 2021, 11:58:34 am »
Wow, that's dangerous. Can people with your job get on the priority list for vaccination?

No, not so far. Politics are now thinking about it.

Apart from prostitutes, we are the only profession working this close to other people without protection. And prostitution is still in lockdown, meaning they aren't allowed to work. Officially at least.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #435 on: February 22, 2021, 02:53:16 pm »
And prostitution is still in lockdown, meaning they aren't allowed to work.

:laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #436 on: February 23, 2021, 03:50:14 pm »

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to give a new update on Chris.

He was supposed to go to the doctor on Friday, but that got cancelled due to the weather.  However, the doctor had told Chris that he was doing well, and his plan was to take Chris off of the oxygen tanks during the day, and have him just use them at night.

Since Chris new that was going to happen, he decided to do it on his own anyway.  He stopped using oxygen during the day starting Friday, and used his oximeter to monitor his oxygen levels.  He was able to spend all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday off the machine, and use it only at night while sleeping.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #437 on: February 23, 2021, 04:17:04 pm »
Great news, Chuck! Thanks for the update.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #438 on: February 23, 2021, 07:05:40 pm »
Very glad to hear this. I'm glad your brother is doing so well.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #439 on: February 23, 2021, 07:55:50 pm »
Super news, Chuck.  Thanks for letting us know.