Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 151937 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #540 on: April 27, 2021, 11:45:38 pm »
And if this isn't rap, I don't know what is.  "Whadya Talk?"  aka "Rock Island"  also from Music Man.
This is actually brilliant!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #541 on: April 28, 2021, 09:37:15 am »
I know nothing about rap except that it's a thing. I was under the impression that the lyrics were (probably) slower than Stipe.

They probably usually are. But not always; take these examples. (Only 49 and 41 seconds respectively)

Eminem does that really well, but I think he's unusual in that respect. I don't know how a mouth can even move that fast.

Here's a more typical speed, by Jay-Z, but still pretty fast, maybe closer to ItEotWaWKI's pace. This one is the full-length song, which you've probably heard, but it's a nice video and aside from some of the lyrics I really like this song -- Alicia Keys' part at least as much as Jay-Z's.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #542 on: April 28, 2021, 09:59:57 am »
Here is my version of early rap:  it's from 1955, "Guys and Dolls".  Whadya think?

To me, that song sounds like regular old singing.

And then there was this, from "Music Man" (1957), also early rap, in my opinion. 

Absolutely! Robert Preston is definitely rapping -- rapping about vice, in fact, a frequent hip-hop topic. Preston is widely recognized within the rap world as an early pioneer of the genre.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #543 on: April 28, 2021, 11:52:40 am »
Absolutely! Robert Preston is definitely rapping -- rapping about vice, in fact, a frequent hip-hop topic. Preston is widely recognized within the rap world as an early pioneer of the genre.

That's interesting. Then they really ought to give at least some credit to Meredith Wilson. He wrote it, after all. I wonder what he would think if he knew people were considering "Trouble" as an example of Rap?

I wonder if there was a term for that sort of thing in Wilson's day?

Has anybody ever expressed an opinion on something like "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General"?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #544 on: April 28, 2021, 12:31:06 pm »
That's interesting. Then they really ought to give at least some credit to Meredith Wilson. He wrote it, after all. I wonder what he would think if he knew people were considering "Trouble" as an example of Rap?

I wonder if there was a term for that sort of thing in Wilson's day?

Well, I kinda answered my own question, I guess. Whoever compiled this list considers "Ya Got Trouble" to be a patter song. That's what I would have called it rather than a rap, but then I'm an Old Musical kinda guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_patter_songs

It's the very last item listed in the "After G&S" category.

I didn't have time to read this word for word, but there seems to be some interesting and relevant stuff in it about the relationship between patter songs and rap.

https://newmusicaltheatre.com/blogs/green-room/why-i-care-about-rap-musicals

"He Doesn't Know the Territory" is from "Rock Island,"the opening number in The Music Man.

This author lists "Rock Island" but doesn't mention "Ya Got Trouble."

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/SOUND-OFF-Special-Edition-Top-10-Raddest-Baddest-Rap-Songs-In-Broadway-History-20150805
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #545 on: April 28, 2021, 04:10:57 pm »
Hello All!

*waves*

As of 2 hours ago, I am double vaxxed!  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #546 on: April 28, 2021, 04:16:43 pm »
Wonderful!

Which vaxx did you get?

How long before you can count on the full effect?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #547 on: April 28, 2021, 04:40:16 pm »
Hello All!

*waves*

As of 2 hours ago, I am double vaxxed!  ;D

Beat ya! I got mine at 1:05 p.m.  ;D  (I don't know why they made the appointment for 1:05 instead of just 1:00, but I don't really care.  ;D )

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #548 on: April 28, 2021, 06:27:03 pm »

Whoever compiled this list considers "Ya Got Trouble" to be a patter song. That's what I would have called it rather than a rap, but then I'm an Old Musical kinda guy.

Actually I was kidding, but the author of that article seems to see some validity in the comparison. I skimmed it pretty fast because the author is a scholar and most technical musical stuff is over my head.

We'll have to ask Lin-Manuel Miranda, who proved that rap can be a big hit on Broadway!

I considered adding Rex Harrison, who I remembered speak-singing his songs in My Fair Lady. But I took a quick look at "Why Can't the English Teach Their Children How to Speak?" and he's actually carrying a bit of a tune.

I also saw enough to conclude the show wouldn't go over very well today -- very classist, for one thing. I realize Prof. Harold Hill is supposed to be a bit of a snob, but that's not emphasized enough.

Sometime between then and now (probably late '60s, I would guess) aristocrats lost a lot of their coolness cred.

Plus, I've always resented the movie for dumping Julie Andrews, the star of the play, for Audrey Hepburn, whose singing had to be dubbed.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #549 on: April 28, 2021, 08:49:03 pm »
Wonderful!

Which vaxx did you get?

How long before you can count on the full effect?

I got the Moderna, and I believe that after 2 weeks I'm considered "immune", but I don't think that's true.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!