Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152103 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #550 on: April 28, 2021, 11:01:43 pm »
I considered adding Rex Harrison, who I remembered speak-singing his songs in My Fair Lady. But I took a quick look at "Why Can't the English Teach Their Children How to Speak?" and he's actually carrying a bit of a tune.

I also saw enough to conclude the show wouldn't go over very well today -- very classist, for one thing. I realize Prof. Harold Hill is supposed to be a bit of a snob, but that's not emphasized enough.

Sorry, you threw me for a minute there until I realized you meant Prof. Henry Higgins.

Plus, I've always resented the movie for dumping Julie Andrews, the star of the play, for Audrey Hepburn, whose singing had to be dubbed.

I'm with you there, though I do watch the movie for Rex Harrison. But that was outrageous, casting Audrey Hepburn and dubbing her. And not only did they dub her, they dubbed her with a soprano (I think it was Marni Nixon, but I'm not sure about that). The singing voice is so nothing like Audrey Hepburn's speaking voice.

I read somewhere that Hepburn was cast because she was a box office draw, and the powers that be thought of Julie Andrews as a stage actress. But you know what happened that year, don't you? They gave Julie Andrews the Oscar for Mary Poppins.

I'm sure there must be an original Broadway cast album out there somewhere. I have the London recording, and it's wonderful.

If you want to see/hear a successful dubbing from a few years before My Fair Lady, Marni Nixon dubbed Deborah Kerr in The King and I. I call that successful because Kerr's speaking voice and Nixon's singing voice are a pretty good match.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #551 on: April 29, 2021, 07:44:52 am »
Hello All!

*waves*

As of 2 hours ago, I am double vaxxed!  ;D

Woke this morning with a sore arm, but other than that, I seem to be ok.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #552 on: April 29, 2021, 08:48:50 am »
Woke this morning with a sore arm, but other than that, I seem to be ok.

Mine's sore, too.

Getting this second dose was quite different from getting the first dose. This time it was given higher up in my arm, almost to my shoulder, and farther forward than the firs dose. The needle looked larger, too. I didn't feel the first shot going in, but I sure felt this one!  ;D

Was it the dose itself, the size of the needle, or the technique and experience of the person giving the shot?

I'm glad I didn't have to go to a massvax center and get stuck by an inexperienced member of the National Guard.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #553 on: April 29, 2021, 10:38:02 am »
Sorry, you threw me for a minute there until I realized you meant Prof. Henry Higgins.

Oops! Sorry, I mixed up my 1950s musical Prof. H. H.s.  :laugh:

I'm with you there, though I do watch the movie for Rex Harrison. But that was outrageous, casting Audrey Hepburn and dubbing her. And not only did they dub her, they dubbed her with a soprano (I think it was Marni Nixon, but I'm not sure about that). The singing voice is so nothing like Audrey Hepburn's speaking voice.

I read somewhere that Hepburn was cast because she was a box office draw, and the powers that be thought of Julie Andrews as a stage actress. But you know what happened that year, don't you? They gave Julie Andrews the Oscar for Mary Poppins.

I'm sure there must be an original Broadway cast album out there somewhere. I have the London recording, and it's wonderful.

It was Marni Nixon, which I only know from double checking my memory of the dubbing. Her name came back to me then. I suspected I also knew her from another context, and sure enough, she dubbed for Natalie Wood in West Side Story.

Julie Andrews is a better fit for Eliza Doolittle, whereas Audrey Hepburn is a better fit for Breakfast at Tiffany's and Two for the Road. Hard to imagine Julie in those roles.

If Julie had played Eliza the same year she played Mary Poppins, she could have canceled herself out at the Oscars! But how fun if they were a year apart and she'd won a trifecta -- Best Actress for those two plus The Sound of Music (for which she was nominated -- the award went to another Julie, Julie Christie).

There's undoubtedly an original Broadway cast MFL out there, because I had the album myself when I was a child, which is one reason I prefer Julie. If only I still had that record and had kept it in pristine condition for the past 50+ years! Somebody probably did.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #554 on: April 29, 2021, 11:05:12 am »

I got the Moderna, and I believe that after 2 weeks I'm considered "immune", but I don't think that's true.

Nobody is 100% immune.

But all the vaccines are supposed to give a high immunity.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #555 on: April 29, 2021, 10:15:34 pm »
Mine's sore, too.

Getting this second dose was quite different from getting the first dose. This time it was given higher up in my arm, almost to my shoulder, and farther forward than the firs dose. The needle looked larger, too. I didn't feel the first shot going in, but I sure felt this one!  ;D

Was it the dose itself, the size of the needle, or the technique and experience of the person giving the shot?

I'm glad I didn't have to go to a massvax center and get stuck by an inexperienced member of the National Guard.

It's the end of the first day after the vaccine, and I had no major reactions.  However, I spent all day feeling very tired.

There were times I considered shutting down for the day from work,  but calling out 'tired' seemed to be a wimpy thing to do, so I stayed online at work.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #556 on: April 30, 2021, 08:51:14 am »

It's the end of the first day after the vaccine, and I had no major reactions.  However, I spent all day feeling very tired.

There were times I considered shutting down for the day from work,  but calling out 'tired' seemed to be a wimpy thing to do, so I stayed online at work.

:laugh:

Unless something still comes up and smacks me upside the head, I guess I got off easy. No reaction at all to the first shot and only a sore arm from the second, and the soreness in the arm is gone.

My dad had the same experience--nothing more than a sore arm. He had the Moderna, and I had the Pfizer.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #557 on: April 30, 2021, 10:45:48 am »

I was on an assignment with a colleague the day he got his shot, and felt so terrible he had cancelled all work for the rest of the day. But he's a photographer and his work would have been taking pictures at hockey games, so pretty rigorous. I talked to him later and he said he'd had a terrible night. I've heard it's harder on younger people, though, and he's in his 20s.

We get a special time off category for COVID so we don't have to use up PTO, and we can use it for time taken to get vaccinated. So if I feel bad after my second dose next week, I'll use it for that, too.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #558 on: April 30, 2021, 12:40:27 pm »
We get a special time off category for COVID so we don't have to use up PTO, and we can use it for time taken to get vaccinated. So if I feel bad after my second dose next week, I'll use it for that, too.

That's wonderful! I had to use my lunch break to get my second dose. Fortunately, the drug store was just a short walk, but I still fudged the time a little bit.  ::)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #559 on: April 30, 2021, 09:28:48 pm »
We were given 8 hours of "covid pto", I took 4 hours each shot, on the day of the vaccine.