Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152381 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #560 on: May 01, 2021, 12:21:01 am »
We got 80! Luckily I haven’t had to use them, and at some point they disappear. The benefit of being in a union, maybe.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #561 on: May 01, 2021, 09:43:03 pm »
Update on mom, dad, and Chris.

Dad was vaccinated on Wednesday.  Thursday was his reaction day, but he was up and at work, and then had to take mom for her vaccine that day.  End result, he didn't rest.  Chris and Mom's vaccine day was Thursday, so their reaction day was Friday.  Chris went work, and dad was still worn out but went to work.  Mom was the most worn out, and she spent the day on the couch.  THey all went to be early on Friday, and slept the night through.  They all woke up today (Saturday) feeling back to normal.

So we are all double vaccinated.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #562 on: May 02, 2021, 10:21:51 am »
Hooray!!   :D

My second shot is scheduled for Wednesday. I'll try to leave some slack in my schedule at work next week in case I need rest time.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #563 on: May 02, 2021, 10:24:39 am »
All is well. At least, in the CellarDweller family.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #564 on: May 02, 2021, 08:49:02 pm »
Yes, it is, thankfully!!!

Now, how does the India situation get fixed?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #565 on: May 03, 2021, 08:39:03 am »
All I had was a sore arm--that's all my dad had, too.   ???

For both of us it was worse with the second shot than with the first.

Chuck, I'm glad to hear everything is OK with you and your family.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #566 on: May 04, 2021, 06:50:53 am »
I'm glad to hear Chuck & family and Jeff all had only slight reactions to their second shot. :)
Yay for you being fully vaxxed!

My second dose will be exactly one week from today and I still don't know what to do. I've talked to several colleagues since we're all in the same priority group and most of us had ArtraZeneca as first shot. Some had extra appointments with their regular docs, just to get their opinions, and in the end, they all said it's up to each person, they aren't any wiser in this case and can't give advise. *sigh*

Beat ya! I got mine at 1:05 p.m.  ;D  (I don't know why they made the appointment for 1:05 instead of just 1:00, but I don't really care.  ;D )

:laugh: Germany can do better than that. My daughter had her appointment at 17:33 = 5:33PM :laugh:

In Germany, the third wave seems to break. Numbers are still high, but have been going down for the last two weeks.
The hot topic right now is the question of whether or not fully vaccinated people should be exempt from Corona restrictions. My opinion: so far only 8% of our population are fully vaccinated and that's mainly the elderly and all those especially vulnerable. It was for their protection our societies forwent so many things over the last year, now they can hold their horses for a little longer and stick to the same rules as everyone. They can damn well wait a little longer to enjoy their beer in a restaurant when all the young people couldn't do fun stuff for over a year.
Once most of the population will have had the opportunity for vaccination, or summer will have brought the numbers way down, we can talk again.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #567 on: May 04, 2021, 09:37:59 am »
The United States is 32% fully vaccinated, a much higher rate than countries, according to a clickable map on Google. But now the rate is slowing down because some idiots are still afraid the vaccines implant tracking chips or don't want them for whatever reason.

Now experts are apparently predicting we may never reach "herd immunity" and that the virus will always be with us.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/health/covid-herd-immunity-vaccine.html

"It is already clear, however, that the virus is changing too quickly, new variants are spreading too easily and vaccination is proceeding too slowly for herd immunity to be within reach anytime soon."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #568 on: May 06, 2021, 08:38:19 am »
How come I don't believe all the good news about COVID-19 that I keep hearing on TV?

Why do I still believe it's still premature, both the good news and all the reopenings?

And why do I believe the world is never going back to March 1, 2020?

(I can partially answer my last question myself. It's because of all the talk I need to listen to about how different my job will be eventually: Do I want to continue to work at home? Do I want to return to the office? Do I want to do some sort of hybrid of the two? How will I feel about taking public transportation during morning and evening rush hour?)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #569 on: May 06, 2021, 10:03:23 am »
How come I don't believe all the good news about COVID-19 that I keep hearing on TV?

Why do I still believe it's still premature, both the good news and all the reopenings?

And why do I believe the world is never going back to March 1, 2020?

(I can partially answer my last question myself. It's because of all the talk I need to listen to about how different my job will be eventually: Do I want to continue to work at home? Do I want to return to the office? Do I want to do some sort of hybrid of the two? How will I feel about taking public transportation during morning and evening rush hour?)

I think you have to answer all three yourself, because what you believe depends on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist. I find the virus news constantly conflicted -- sometimes everything is good, but sometimes (see my post above) not so good. We've gone through a year-plus in which the world's experts keep changing their minds: No masks necessary, yes masks necessary (which some suspect the experts knew all along but wanted to make sure frontline healthcare workers got masks first). You can get it from touching objects -- except no, not really. Six feet away is safe -- oh wait, unless you're inside a building then the aerosol effect spreads it throughout the room.

As for going back to the office, I think that's less about what experts say than what employers/employees say. This employee, for one, has no interest in going back to the office full time. A lot of my colleagues miss the bustling exciting newsroom atmosphere. I, on the other hand, find my workplace pretty toxic (I'm not the only one in that camp) and would gladly avoid it as much as possible. Beyond that, commuting takes an hour a day, my parking ramp costs $150 a month, downtown lunches if I don't bring my own are all about $10 apiece (I do miss sushi bowls, though!). I live halfway between the downtown office and the geographic area I cover, so any day I'm going out there to do something in person (which is hardly ever these days, but could always pick up) I can get there much more quickly from home. I never did get super dressed up but now I can wear whatever I want and be as comfortable as I want.

The telling moment for me was when I needed to pick up something in the office and thought about going in on a Friday and then thought, no wait, I have to write a story on deadline that day so I can't take the time to go all the way downtown. The office is where I used to write stories on deadline!  :o :laugh:

Personally, the only thing I miss is seeing friends in person and movie theaters. And even the latter I'm not that eager for, especially since I can watch many of them much cheaper at home (though without the good popcorn  :-\). My main movie theater, which is about 10 minutes from here, offers free parking and shows indie-ish movies, has closed, apparently permanently.