Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152053 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #570 on: May 06, 2021, 10:30:16 am »
...My main movie theater, which is about 10 minutes from here, offers free parking and shows indie-ish movies, has closed, apparently permanently.

That's a bummer. All of our Indie theaters have closed except one, so I'm getting to know it well.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #571 on: May 06, 2021, 10:32:11 am »
...now they can hold their horses for a little longer ...

Great saying! Should be a Brokieism if it's not. Is there such a saying in Germany?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #572 on: May 06, 2021, 02:51:10 pm »
That's a bummer. All of our Indie theaters have closed except one, so I'm getting to know it well.

There are a couple of others here and I'm not sure what their status is currently but they're farther away and parking isn't free.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #573 on: May 08, 2021, 03:10:02 am »
Great saying! Should be a Brokieism if it's not. Is there such a saying in Germany?

Not sure what you're getting at. This version of hold your horses is mine ;D, if that's what you mean.

In German, we also have sayings along those lines and connected to horses:
"halt die Hufe still" = hold your hooves still. Slightly different meaning than hold your horses; in German it can mean to wait but also to be quiet/not to fidget.
We also have "Immer langsam mit den jungen Pferden" = take it slow with young horses, which also means not to rush something.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #574 on: May 08, 2021, 10:37:02 am »
Not sure what you're getting at. This version of hold your horses is mine ;D, if that's what you mean.

I am always highly impressed by your mastery of not just English but idiomatic English.

Come to think of it, your English -- at least as used here and on FB -- even seems to be the American version. I think you use American spellings (e.g., flavor vs. British flavour), or at least I've never noticed otherwise. Here's a user-friendly list of differences between British and American English

https://www.boredpanda.com/british-american-english-differences-language/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Obviously you haven't had occasion to use all of these words, but I don't recall ever seeing you use a British version (with the possible exception of "grey," which Americans also use a lot). Yet I would think Europeans would learn British English. Do you know both and just adjust depending on your audience? Or do they teach the American version there? Or have you written "colour" or call a sweater a "jumper" and I just didn't notice? Or ...?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #575 on: May 08, 2021, 10:07:27 pm »
American cultural imperialism runs rampant.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #576 on: May 08, 2021, 11:17:25 pm »
I keep hearing stories about the situation in India.  Citizens there must be in a constant state of panic.  I can't imagine being there now.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #577 on: May 09, 2021, 10:46:50 am »
I am always highly impressed by your mastery of not just English but idiomatic English.

Come to think of it, your English -- at least as used here and on FB -- even seems to be the American version. I think you use American spellings (e.g., flavor vs. British flavour), or at least I've never noticed otherwise. Here's a user-friendly list of differences between British and American English

https://www.boredpanda.com/british-american-english-differences-language/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Obviously you haven't had occasion to use all of these words, but I don't recall ever seeing you use a British version (with the possible exception of "grey," which Americans also use a lot). Yet I would think Europeans would learn British English. Do you know both and just adjust depending on your audience? Or do they teach the American version there? Or have you written "colour" or call a sweater a "jumper" and I just didn't notice? Or ...?

Yes, we learn British English at school.
Movies, TV and books are a big American influence. Spending thousands of hours on an American online forum is, too :laugh:
And whenever I look up a word in my dictionary, which is is only one tab away on my computer, it gives me both spellings, if applicable. Then I usually go with the American one, except in some instances, when the American version seems "wrong" to me. For example travelling/traveling. In my book it's just wrong to leave out the second l ;) ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #578 on: May 10, 2021, 10:52:42 am »
For example travelling/traveling. In my book it's just wrong to leave out the second l ;) ;D

Americans themselves often don't realize that canceled has only one L. Or that " should go outside of , and . That'as in the sentence below.

Ennis said he worried about "people on the pavement."

Logically, it doesn't make sense, but that's the American way!  :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #579 on: May 12, 2021, 04:43:50 am »
Had my second shot yesterday. I went with the Biontech (Pfizer) vaccine, even though my first shot was AstraZeneca.

So far only a sore arm. I hope it stays like that.