Author Topic: Can you guess the . . .crowd?  (Read 17288 times)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Can you guess the . . .crowd?
« on: June 13, 2020, 04:10:07 pm »
A new game! And I put it in the right place, for once!

Are you like me, getting all nostalgic when you see pictures of crowds? People enjoying rubbing shoulders with each other, laughing and singing, not stand-offy or suspicious. Well, here we can post pictures of crowds and see if others can guess the location and/or event. I'll start. This was an event a few years ago, and if you look closely, you can guess what was happening!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Can you guess the . . .crowd?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 07:34:37 pm »
Is it Larry McMurtry in his bookstore in Archer City, Texas, in August of 2012 at an event called The Last Book Sale (the name a reference to The Last Picture Show, which was filmed on that site) where he sold about 28,000 books from his personal collection?

Just a wild guess.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 09:41:45 am »
Yes, you are correct! See how easy that was? Now it's your turn!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 11:03:17 am »

OK, how about this, as a reminder that rubbing shoulders in crowds has its downsides.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 01:30:36 pm »
Well, it appears to be something that happened in San Jose, so I'll guess the riot by antiwar protestors outside a Nixon campaign rally in 1970. Nixon himself fanned the flames, according to H. R. Haldeman's autobiography: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/10/28/nixon-protest-law-and-order-221920

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 02:36:48 pm »
Well, it appears to be something that happened in San Jose, so I'll guess the riot by antiwar protestors outside a Nixon campaign rally in 1970. Nixon himself fanned the flames, according to H. R. Haldeman's autobiography: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/10/28/nixon-protest-law-and-order-221920

The location is about 40 miles from San Jose. It wasn't an antiwar protest/riot, and not connected to Nixon. The year was 1969.

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 04:38:58 pm »
Is that the so-called Woodstock West concert?  Was it the Stones? Jefferson Airplane?  Someone was killed.  Hell's Angels were "security". 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 05:06:54 pm »
Is that the so-called Woodstock West concert?  Was it the Stones? Jefferson Airplane?  Someone was killed.  Hell's Angels were "security".

Excellent work, Paul!

The Stones' concert at Altamont Speedway represents the dark violent side of the '60s, just as Woodstock was the peaceful happy side. The Stones were winding up a U.S. tour and wanted to end with a free concert, a la Woodstock. On the advice of the Grateful Dead, they hired the Hell's Angels as security. The Angels hit and knocked out a member of the Jefferson Airplane at one point and when the Grateful Dead heard that, they bailed without going onstage. Santana, Crosby Stills Nash & Young and the Flying Burrito Brothers also played, but supposedly there was a bad vibe throughout; the musicians had to keep pleading with the crowd to settle down.

When the Stones went onstage, they kept having to stop playing. "Brothers and sisters, why are we fighting?" Mick asks the crowd. Finally, while they're playing the Hells Angels stabbed a young man named Meredith Hunter. The whole thing was captured on film by the Maysleys Brothers, documentarians who just happened to be doing a film about the whole tour. The film, Gimme Shelter, is excellent -- my second favorite concert film, I think.

There it is! If I threw in a few quotes from Keith you'd have the research paper I wrote for a college English class.

Your turn ...

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 07:57:02 am »
Anyone recognize this crowd?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 09:06:43 am »
Another milestone event from 1969 -- Stonewall.