Author Topic: DVD copy too dark?  (Read 8058 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
DVD copy too dark?
« on: April 05, 2006, 05:25:21 pm »
I rec'd my DVD today.    So of course I HAD to pop it in and check it out. 

My copy seems kinda dark to me.   Yes, I checked the settings on my TV. 

The shadows on the boys faces in the beginning are severe.  Auguirres trailer is so dark inside.  You can hardly see much detail at all.

Even on the Bonus feature of the LOGO special (which I saw on VH1)   the clips of the cast interviews are in terrible colour.   Jakes face looks orange.   

Has anybody else noticed any differences in their copy?

I will be going up to Pauls to check out his 5 copies.   LOL.

rtprod

Re: DVD copy too dark?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 05:37:13 pm »
Mine is fine.  The image is cleaner than on the screener DVD with less artifacting, but I would really like to see this on HD DVD or Superbit (defunct) or transferred in a higher-res format.  The screener has a bit more contrast but doesn't manage darks that well, which fall off the scale when beneath hat brims and etc.  The commercial release is much better at handling these shifts. 

rt

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 05:37:34 pm »
Mine doesn't seem to be having any problems......

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 05:41:10 pm »
In another thread, Julie01 mentioned that her copy from Amazon is very dark as well.
Yours came from Amazon too, right David in Wallawalla?
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline David

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 05:44:23 pm »
Indeed Senior Pablo.   My copy came from Amazon.con de Mexico.   

No doubt the quality control dept just chuckled at the loco gringos  LOL

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 05:47:10 pm »
LOL

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 05:50:12 pm »
hrm, that too bad. i got mine from Target, and I've only played it on my laptop. it's very bright. I can't imagine why it'd be so different though. They're just 0's and 1's written on the disc. From one disc to the next, the sequence of bits should be the same.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 05:55:41 pm »
That's OK.   I'm sure Paul will blame it on my 1980 vintage Zenith console TV.   LOL   :P

God I hope you're kidding......LOL

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 06:05:22 pm »
My mom had a 1980's console up until about 5 years ago.....then the plasmas came into existence.....LOL

Offline David

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 06:11:22 pm »
Well, when I moved into an apartment in the city 10+ yrs ago,  a friend gave me the console TV because he said a thief wouldn't be able to carry it out a window!    LOL.

Damn right!   Thing weighs a ton!   Nearly broke my apples moving it into my new house.    But now it is like a piece of furniture to me.    Although Paul made a dirty look when he saw it.   I worry that the TV will have an "accident" if I leave them alone together.    :o

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 06:12:31 pm »
LOL,    ::)   in my best Ennis voice: "What?"     

I not only have a 1980 vintage Television, but a 1980 Chrysler 5th Avenue and a 1980 Dodge St.Regis!    Ha ha ha!   

Fear not, I own plenty of 21st century stuff too.  Digital camera, RePlay TV recorder system, etc etc.   I just like 80's stuff.   Hell,  I just sold my 1975 Eldorado!    LOL.

Hanging on to the year 1980 for nostalgic reasons? let me remind you that's the year Reagan got voted into office. That alone is reason enough to get rid of anything to do with 1980.  :P
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 06:18:39 pm »
Well, when I moved into an apartment in the city 10+ yrs ago,  a friend gave me the console TV because he said a thief wouldn't be able to carry it out a window!    LOL.

Damn right!   Thing weighs a ton!   Nearly broke my apples moving it into my new house.    But now it is like a piece of furniture to me.    Although Paul made a dirty look when he saw it.   I worry that the TV will have an "accident" if I leave them alone together.    :o

ROFLMFAO.....I'm on Pauls side in this case......

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 06:21:57 pm »
LOL,    ::)   in my best Ennis voice: "What?"     

I not only have a 1980 vintage Television, but a 1980 Chrysler 5th Avenue and a 1980 Dodge St.Regis!    Ha ha ha!   

Fear not, I own plenty of 21st century stuff too.  Digital camera, RePlay TV recorder system, etc etc.   I just like 80's stuff.   Hell,  I just sold my 1975 Eldorado!    LOL.

Hanging on to the year 1980 for nostalgic reasons? let me remind you that's the year Reagan got voted into office. That alone is reason enough to get rid of anything to do with 1980.  :P

ROFL....my family all voted for Reagan

Offline David

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 06:23:00 pm »
Hey now!    Don't hate the man, just his politics!   

Some of his weird policies and personal beliefs made me cringe, but dammit, he was just so in love with America, the Presidency and...well, himself, LOL,  but he gave great motivational speaches.  He will always be known to many as "the Great communicator".

I just watched a Biography on him that blew me away.   Trust me, if I had one President to name that shamed the country, it would be the current one!   (oops! was that out loud?)

Ok, enough about Politics.    Back To BBM.     Wasn't Jack bitching to Ennis about inflation?     Oh wait....that was in 1983....bad example!    LOL

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 06:26:09 pm »
Hey now!    Don't hate the man, just his politics!   

Some of his weird policies and personal beliefs made me cringe, but dammit, he was just so in love with America, the Presidency and...well, himself, LOL,  but he gave great motivational speaches.  He will always be known to many as "the Great communicator".

I just watched a Biography on him that blew me away.   Trust me, if I had one President to name that shamed the country, it would be the current one!   (oops! was that out loud?)

Ok, enough about Politics.    Back To BBM.     Wasn't Jack bitching to Ennis about inflation?     Oh wait....that was in 1983....bad example!    LOL

Is it bad that my family voted for Bush in 2000 too......LOL

Offline David

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 06:29:22 pm »
Is it bad that my family voted for Bush in 2000 too......LOL

LOL,   don't worry,  none of the votes were properly counted in 2000 anyways!   ::)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 06:30:41 pm »
Well my family is conservative, Catholic and from TEXAS......so voting for Bush was a given......

Didn't vote in 2004 though....

Offline David

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 06:35:00 pm »
My goodness!   It is a miracle they even talk to you after seeing BBM!    LOL

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 06:37:18 pm »
Well thats where they differ from Bush.....because they support all gay rights 100% including marriage.....

My mom, sisters and brothers LOVE BBM......they bought it yesterday too and saw it in the theaters MANY times.....

Offline David

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 06:40:37 pm »
Thats awsome!      ;D

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 12:49:22 am »
Bringing this slightly back to topic:
My copy has subtle vertical lines.  I know enough to know that this is a digital compression issue, but what's the deal?  Why isn't the compression rate (or whatever you call it) better?  There is also something about it -- it's flatter, more... digital looking.  I wish I could put my finger on it exactly; it's analogous to the difference between film and video.  It's particularly evident in rapid motion, like someone jerking an arm up... again, hard to describe.  I started to notice when NBC digitized its signal (?) because the tennis balls got funky during Wimbledon.

And don't get me started on digital Simpsons versus hand-drawn Simpsons.

The compression thing is the most troubling -- it's like there's a scum on the screen.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 04:50:31 am »
>> The compression thing is the most troubling -- it's like there's a scum on the screen.

I have only watched my DVD on my laptop, but it is darker, and that description of yours, hpie, sort of fits.  I've watched a lot of movies on here, so I don't think it's the laptop.  I don't see the detail you all are describing in the first tent scene.  :(

vkm91941

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 05:44:23 am »
Some folks were implying that there may be a problem with the copies ordered from Amazon...Similar to the Wal-Mart issue.  BUT I got mine from Amazon and it's perfect...but I have an almost new ( 1 year old) 36 inch Digiital-Stereo Flat Screen TV  soooo???? Who knows.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 08:52:04 am »
Some folks were implying that there may be a problem with the copies ordered from Amazon...Similar to the Wal-Mart issue.  BUT I got mine from Amazon and it's perfect...but I have an almost new ( 1 year old) 36 inch Digiital-Stereo Flat Screen TV  soooo???? Who knows.

I don't know from video technology, but it makes sense to me that what you are watching it on would have some influence on the image you see.

You all got me scared with talk of too-dark DVDs and the suggestion or implication that they might be faulty. I wasn't even going to open mine till Friday night (when I can watch the movie without any time pressures), but instead I opened it last night just to check things out. I ony watched through the line "Glad to know ya, Ennis del Mar." Initially I was concerned because the opening sequence of the cattle truck on the highway seemed kind of grainy, and I thought it seemed darker when we first get a really good look at Ennis when he gets out of the truck. (It occurs to me now that I didn't focus on how dark the view of Ennis through the truck windshield might have been.) By the time we got to Joe Aguirre's trailer, however, the image seemed pretty much as I remembered it from the theater. Maybe not as good as I might have liked or hoped, but I can live with it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 12:17:44 pm »
Y'all scairt me into watching mine last night-purchased from Amazon and, happily, it is perfect. As others have said, a bit lighter than the theatrical version so some scenes are much clearer and more detailed. It was like seeing again for the 5th time  ;)

Heathen