Author Topic: DVD copy too dark?  (Read 7990 times)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: DVD copy too dark?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 12:49:22 am »
Bringing this slightly back to topic:
My copy has subtle vertical lines.  I know enough to know that this is a digital compression issue, but what's the deal?  Why isn't the compression rate (or whatever you call it) better?  There is also something about it -- it's flatter, more... digital looking.  I wish I could put my finger on it exactly; it's analogous to the difference between film and video.  It's particularly evident in rapid motion, like someone jerking an arm up... again, hard to describe.  I started to notice when NBC digitized its signal (?) because the tennis balls got funky during Wimbledon.

And don't get me started on digital Simpsons versus hand-drawn Simpsons.

The compression thing is the most troubling -- it's like there's a scum on the screen.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 04:50:31 am »
>> The compression thing is the most troubling -- it's like there's a scum on the screen.

I have only watched my DVD on my laptop, but it is darker, and that description of yours, hpie, sort of fits.  I've watched a lot of movies on here, so I don't think it's the laptop.  I don't see the detail you all are describing in the first tent scene.  :(

vkm91941

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 05:44:23 am »
Some folks were implying that there may be a problem with the copies ordered from Amazon...Similar to the Wal-Mart issue.  BUT I got mine from Amazon and it's perfect...but I have an almost new ( 1 year old) 36 inch Digiital-Stereo Flat Screen TV  soooo???? Who knows.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 08:52:04 am »
Some folks were implying that there may be a problem with the copies ordered from Amazon...Similar to the Wal-Mart issue.  BUT I got mine from Amazon and it's perfect...but I have an almost new ( 1 year old) 36 inch Digiital-Stereo Flat Screen TV  soooo???? Who knows.

I don't know from video technology, but it makes sense to me that what you are watching it on would have some influence on the image you see.

You all got me scared with talk of too-dark DVDs and the suggestion or implication that they might be faulty. I wasn't even going to open mine till Friday night (when I can watch the movie without any time pressures), but instead I opened it last night just to check things out. I ony watched through the line "Glad to know ya, Ennis del Mar." Initially I was concerned because the opening sequence of the cattle truck on the highway seemed kind of grainy, and I thought it seemed darker when we first get a really good look at Ennis when he gets out of the truck. (It occurs to me now that I didn't focus on how dark the view of Ennis through the truck windshield might have been.) By the time we got to Joe Aguirre's trailer, however, the image seemed pretty much as I remembered it from the theater. Maybe not as good as I might have liked or hoped, but I can live with it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 12:17:44 pm »
Y'all scairt me into watching mine last night-purchased from Amazon and, happily, it is perfect. As others have said, a bit lighter than the theatrical version so some scenes are much clearer and more detailed. It was like seeing again for the 5th time  ;)

Heathen