Author Topic: Is it something I said?  (Read 20556 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Is it something I said?
« on: January 31, 2021, 03:58:16 pm »
Just need a place to vent and/or post pics of stuff...join in if the spirit moves you

longwoodgardens
Marcescence is the holding on of leaves that have withered, but not fallen. The marcescent leaves still clinging to young beeches and oaks in our woods shake and rattle in the wind becoming the instruments of winter’s song.
Photos by Hank Davis.

"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline morrobay

Re: Is it something I said?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 04:04:24 pm »
I follow kittenxlady on IG, she rescued a pregnant sow from a hoarding situation...sad to say, one piglet died after 2 days, but Mom and the others are doing well

Offline morrobay

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 04:11:45 pm »
Emmett, born without eyelids, perfect in every way

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 05:31:17 pm »
Just need a place to vent and/or post pics of stuff...join in if the spirit moves you

longwoodgardens
Marcescence is the holding on of leaves that have withered, but not fallen.

Hi morrobay! Where ya been? Here and there? Welcome back! We had an early cold snap in October and the trees didn't have a chance to develop the hormone that causes the leaves to fall. So, almost all of the maple leaves are still on the tree--and it's almost February! Has saved me a lot of raking!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline morrobay

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 07:16:38 pm »
Hi Lee (IIRC)
thanks for the welcome back! 

As for the maple leaves, will they ever fall?  Glad it saved you raking.  I have 8 big pecan trees that drop tons of leaves.  This year I paid to have the leaves in the front yard bagged (40!), but the back is too big, so they'll just have to be mulched when mowing season starts.

Nancy

Offline morrobay

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 07:56:35 pm »
I'm originally from the Philadelphia suburbs, now stuck in Austin TX, but I'm watching the storm heading towards Philly, on the Weather channel website...

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST TUESDAY...

WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation. Total snow and sleet accumulations of 7 to 14 inches and ice accumulations of a light glaze. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 08:13:53 pm »
I use way too much plastic stuff...I'm starting to worry about the amount of crap I put into the landfill.  I started using microfiber cloths for cleaning the bathrooms, instead of paper towels, but I still use paper towels in the kitchen for cleanups, etc. 

So a first tiny step I'm taking is Earth Breeze laundry detergent.  I just placed my first order, but it has excellent reviews.  No plastic jugs full of detergent, they come in sheets.  700,000,000 plastic laundry jugs end up in our landfills, oceans, or incinerated every year - that's a sin.  I'm not affiliated with them, and there are other brands that do the same thing...just trying to do something small.

Paraben Free
Vegan & Cruelty Free
Plant Powered Ingredients
Hypoallergenic For Sensitive Skin
Lower Your Carbon Footprint By 90%
Pthalate Free
Phosphate Free
Bleach & Dye Free
Non Toxic Ingredients
Biodegradable Packaging & Ingredients

Offline morrobay

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 09:22:28 pm »
and now for the lowlight of the weekend, 90 Day Fiancé

Offline morrobay

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 10:01:44 am »
42° in Austin this morning, thankful for the cold nights and mornings, because hot weather will be here too soon for me.

Checked the Philly storm, listening to WIP, snow all day, possibly 12-18" from downtown to the suburbs, and windy.  Hope no one loses power.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 10:50:45 am »
just saw this sad news, diagnosed in 2016...

Tony Bennett reveals he has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's
By Marianne Garvey, CNN

Updated 9:47 AM ET, Mon February 1, 2021

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/entertainment/tony-bennett-alzheimers/index.html

Offline morrobay

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 11:07:30 am »
good article on what type of mask to wear...

What would happen if every American wore an N95-type mask for four weeks in risky settings like being indoors?

"It would stop the epidemic," Dr. Abraar Karan, an internal medicine physician at Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, told CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

The most common mask in use among the general public today is a fabric mask, often homemade. Effectiveness depends on the type of fabric used and the number of layers of cloth. These masks can be as little as 26% effective.

"A surgical mask with a cloth mask on top of it can get you over 91% removal efficiency for particles," Allen recently told Dr. Gupta's team.

Whatever the fabric, look for a tight weave, according to studies. Use the light test to check the weave: If you can easily see the outline of the individual fibers when you hold up the mask to the light, it's not likely to be effective.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/25/health/covid-19-masks-which-is-best-wellness/index.html

Offline morrobay

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 02:18:49 pm »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 02:33:26 pm »
I'm originally from the Philadelphia suburbs, now stuck in Austin TX, but I'm watching the storm heading towards Philly, on the Weather channel website...

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST TUESDAY...

WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation. Total snow and sleet accumulations of 7 to 14 inches and ice accumulations of a light glaze. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph.

Nothing worth mentioning happening in Center City. Not like the Blizzard of '96. Different story in the Lehigh Valley, I believe.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 02:36:53 pm »
No kidding?  The way they're talking about it on the news sounds like the end of the world...but I guess that's what the news usually does.  Glad to hear you're not seeing much accumulation.  Do you work from home, Jeff?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 02:36:57 pm »
Hi Lee (IIRC)
thanks for the welcome back! 

As for the maple leaves, will they ever fall?  Glad it saved you raking.  I have 8 big pecan trees that drop tons of leaves.  This year I paid to have the leaves in the front yard bagged (40!), but the back is too big, so they'll just have to be mulched when mowing season starts.

Nancy

You want raking? In her front yard my grandmother had what was supposed to be a flowering crabapple tree. Only flowering. Right. ... The ground underneath that tree became solid crabapples. Guess who ended up having to rake them?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 02:38:49 pm »
were they covered with bees?  We had apple trees in our backyard and it was my job to pick up the apples, and there were always bees around  :(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 02:49:32 pm »
No kidding?  The way they're talking about it on the news sounds like the end of the world...but I guess that's what the news usually does.  Glad to hear you're not seeing much accumulation.  Do you work from home, Jeff?

Actually, I miss big snowstorms. I'll never forget the Blizzard of '96. It was one big party. The city was shut down for days. The bars were crowded because the staff couldn't get home. We made snow angels in the middle of the 1200-block of Locust Street. Ahem. ... I got laid. ...  ;D

Thanks to/because of Covid I've been working at home since last March and will be at least through the end of June--I'm betting longer. I've got a one-bedroom condo, and at first it was miserable. Then I was able to make a dedicated work space in a corner of the living room, so now it's not so bad. The funny thing about bad weather though: I live at Broad and Spruce and work at 38th and Market. I can go into the Broad Street line up at the corner and travel underground all the way to 40th Street. During one snowstorm, there was nobody on the floor except a vide president and me. (How he got there I didn't ask; he lived somewhere in the western suburbs.)

Offline morrobay

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 03:04:29 pm »
that's a good reason to remember the storm  ;)

Do you find it easier to work from home, do you miss being around your co-workers?  Yeah, you have to carve out a space to work, it would be hard using a dining table or other makeshift place with a computer. 

I'm so lucky...my company has a site set up where we can order certain things and they pay, like a desk, chair, monitor, docking station, headsets, etc.  I haven't ordered anything yet, but I'm thinking of getting a new chair.  They also gave us $1500 last year, in two separate checks, which they called Covid WFH assistance.  Our current back to work date is Sept 1, but they've also said in staff meetings that it's possible to work from anywhere, and that it would be considered if we wanted to relocate (at our own expense).  I want to get back to the Phila 'burbs so bad!  And it's so expensive! 

Offline morrobay

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 03:07:25 pm »
it snowed in Austin on Jan 10  :o

my side yard with pecan trees...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 03:58:19 pm »
Emmett, born without eyelids, perfect in every way

Hi Emmett, and hi Nancy!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 03:59:40 pm »
I use way too much plastic stuff...I'm starting to worry about the amount of crap I put into the landfill.  I started using microfiber cloths for cleaning the bathrooms, instead of paper towels, but I still use paper towels in the kitchen for cleanups, etc. 

So a first tiny step I'm taking is Earth Breeze laundry detergent.  I just placed my first order, but it has excellent reviews.  No plastic jugs full of detergent, they come in sheets.  700,000,000 plastic laundry jugs end up in our landfills, oceans, or incinerated every year - that's a sin.  I'm not affiliated with them, and there are other brands that do the same thing...just trying to do something small.

Paraben Free
Vegan & Cruelty Free
Plant Powered Ingredients
Hypoallergenic For Sensitive Skin
Lower Your Carbon Footprint By 90%
Pthalate Free
Phosphate Free
Bleach & Dye Free
Non Toxic Ingredients
Biodegradable Packaging & Ingredients

I'm so glad they're vegan free, I would hate for any vegans to be harmed in the process!  :laugh:

Offline morrobay

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 06:11:33 pm »
Hi Sonja, thanks for stopping by to see Emmett  :)

I saw on the other thread that you got your first vaccine, I'm so glad! 

Offline morrobay

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2021, 06:12:25 pm »

I'm so glad they're vegan free, I would hate for any vegans to be harmed in the process!  :laugh:

yes, the vegans are safe!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2021, 07:26:27 pm »
Hi Sonja, thanks for stopping by to see Emmett  :)

I saw on the other thread that you got your first vaccine, I'm so glad!

Thanks! Yes, I feel very lucky, it wasn't a given at all.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 09:20:47 pm »

Hiya Nancy!  I didn't see your new blog come up on my 'new posts'.  Glad I found it!

and now for the lowlight of the weekend, 90 Day Fiancé

Mike & Natalie are annoying me a lot.   And what is the deal with Brandon and his family?  Julia's no prize either.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 09:39:38 am »
Hi Chuck, glad you stopped by!  I see the snow is moving out of your area but you got 2 feet!  Is your poor car stuck?

As for 90 Day, Farm Natasha (Julie) has a valid point as she's being used as farm labor, and I hate Brandon's family because they seem to be running a puppy mill.  Woods Natasha (Natalie) is just a pain in the ass, she should go Russia.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 11:35:22 am »
what an idiot...I agree with Twitter post by Laura Bassett, and this teacher is tooooooo far left, glad she's not teaching my kid.  How does wearing a jacket and mittens represent white privilege?  She's reaching...

Did Bernie's inauguration outfit epitomize 'white privilege'? A San Francisco teacher thinks so.

Updated Tue, February 2, 2021, 8:32 AM
SAN FRANCISCO — Within hours of President Joe Biden’s inauguration, the Internet was consumed by images of Sen. Bernie Sanders sitting, stone-faced, bundled against the cold in a parka and colorful mittens. The meme turned into a fundraising bonanza for nonprofits and a symbol of a new administration getting down to business, as a contrast to the carefully curated image cultivated by its predecessor.

Who could possibly find fault with that?

Well, one person at least, a public high school teacher in San Francisco named Ingrid Seyer-Ochi, who wrote an op-ed for the San Francisco Chronicle that appeared on Sunday and quickly went viral. Seyer-Ochi’s objection was to the “privilege, white privilege, male privilege and class privilege” symbolized by Sanders’s choice of a relatively casual Burton snowboarding jacket and repurposed wool mittens.

Laura Bassett
@LEBassett
What fresh hell is this take, I don’t even understand. The dude wore mittens and a big coat because it was cold and then he turned around and raised a ton of money for charity

https://news.yahoo.com/did-bernie-sanders-inauguration-outfit-epitomize-white-privilhttp://bettermost.net/forum/Themes/default/images/bbc/italicize.gifege-a-san-francisco-teacher-thinks-so-204425621.html

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 11:40:43 am »
Hi Chuck, glad you stopped by!  I see the snow is moving out of your area but you got 2 feet!  Is your poor car stuck?

As for 90 Day, Farm Natasha (Julie) has a valid point as she's being used as farm labor, and I hate Brandon's family because they seem to be running a puppy mill.  Woods Natasha (Natalie) is just a pain in the ass, she should go Russia.

Before we address the snow, I just have to give you a  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: for the "farm Natasha" "woods Natasha" designation!   That made me laugh!

Yeah, we got a big of snow, and it's snowing now again, but just a light flurry.  I've yet to go out and get to my car.  I'll be doing that about noon.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline morrobay

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 11:44:03 am »

Before we address the snow, I just have to give you a  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: for the "farm Natasha" "woods Natasha" designation!   That made me laugh!

Yeah, we got a big of snow, and it's snowing now again, but just a light flurry.  I've yet to go out and get to my car.  I'll be doing that about noon.

and don't forget NOLA Natasha (Yara?)  ;D

The little town in PA that I follow on the weather channel website shows sun on Thursday  >:( , but snow and snow showers until then.  I hope you can get the car out without any trouble.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 01:59:00 pm »
Longwood Gardens

"Snow was falling, so much like stars filling the dark trees that one could easily imagine its reason for being was nothing more than prettiness.”
~Mary Oliver
Photos by Steve Fenton.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 04:51:34 pm »
I watched this again and saw something new...when Satan gets the alert from Match.com, 2020's avatar is a murder hornet!

Match Made In Hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPq23RWpgPM

Offline morrobay

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 07:09:53 pm »
take off on When Harry Met Sally...

When Satan Met 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTmozhwk9rw

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2021, 07:25:11 pm »
Those commercials are hysterical!!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2021, 09:48:43 am »
yes, they're very clever, I wish he'd do more.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2021, 03:28:16 pm »
Of course Emmett doesn't feel this way...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2021, 04:11:35 pm »
Longwood Gardens

"Snow was falling, so much like stars filling the dark trees that one could easily imagine its reason for being was nothing more than prettiness.”
~Mary Oliver
Photos by Steve Fenton.

I think maybe you miss Longwood Gardens.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2021, 04:21:12 pm »
I've actually never been there, but my Mom loved to go, and I follow them on Instagram.  I pretty much miss everything about PA these days... :(

Offline morrobay

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2021, 04:38:20 pm »
Austin is a snooze town, but meanwhile, in Philadelphia...

Sledders take over Philly's iconic Rocky steps

https://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/sledders-take-over-phillys-iconic-rocky-steps/YYdq2EzP

Offline morrobay

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2021, 05:30:13 pm »
it's more fun to go to work with Emmett...I hope we never go back on-site

Offline morrobay

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2021, 06:10:35 pm »
I'm SO relieved!  ::)    Why did the judge have to approve it, there's always starvation and death...you know, God forbid.

A judge has granted the so-called 'QAnon Shaman' MAGA rioter's request to receive organic food in jail after his lawyer said he hadn't eaten in nine days and had lost nine pounds.

DC federal Judge Royce Lamberth ruled on Jacob Anthony Chansley's request on Wednesday, calling it 'a choice between starvation, death, and consuming something contrary to his long-held faith'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9220857/Judge-grants-QAnon-Shaman-Capitol-rioters-request-served-organic-food-DC-jail.html?ito=push-notification&ci=74274&si=23934553

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2021, 07:29:17 pm »
::) ::) ::)

Offline morrobay

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2021, 10:52:07 am »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2021, 10:59:12 am »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2021, 11:00:12 am »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2021, 11:01:00 am »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2021, 11:02:11 am »
for Chuck!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2021, 11:07:48 am »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2021, 11:08:50 am »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2021, 11:09:58 am »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2021, 12:16:12 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2021, 12:16:40 pm »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2021, 01:56:20 pm »
"Does this snow cat make my butt look fat?"

Offline morrobay

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2021, 03:58:36 pm »
boy, this place is dead...kinda sad, really

Offline morrobay

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2021, 07:05:27 pm »
Tom Brady sacked by 'Mean Tweets' ahead of Super Bowl

Tom Brady appeared on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" for a reading of insulting Twitter comments about himself ahead of Super Bowl LV.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/entertainment/2021/02/05/tom-brady-kimmel-mean-tweets-orig-bdk.cnn

Offline morrobay

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2021, 08:00:10 pm »
and a reference to Brokeback Mountain made it for Wyoming...

AUSTRALIAN Reacts To 50 American Accents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0T8yXXmpbQ

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2021, 10:01:20 pm »
Tom Brady sacked by 'Mean Tweets' ahead of Super Bowl

Tom Brady appeared on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" for a reading of insulting Twitter comments about himself ahead of Super Bowl LV.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/entertainment/2021/02/05/tom-brady-kimmel-mean-tweets-orig-bdk.cnn

I haven't seen a 'mean tweets' in a while.  LOL   They were harsh!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2021, 11:06:21 am »
yeah, funny how people are ok with trashing people like that.  I don't see the point, but it was funny to see Brady reading them.  I watched a couple NFL ones yesterday, people get nasty!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2021, 11:10:57 am »
I'm going to the Austin Pets Alive thrift store this afternoon to meet Pepper Ann.  She's currently in foster care, so not in the shelter.  She's older and has some mobility problems, but she seems like she'd be a good fit...the only consideration is Emmett.  If he didn't accept her, I'd hate to have to take her back.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 12:56:50 pm by morrobay »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2021, 11:31:23 am »
Awww, she looks like my son's dog Leo. Here he is in a characteristic pose.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2021, 12:07:08 pm »
he's adorable!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2021, 01:24:02 pm »
I guess that's where we get the phrase "puppy-dog eyes."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2021, 01:28:09 pm »
OK, I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the drawer, but why can't I find this place in the list of "Child Boards" (i.e., blogs)? What am I missing? Am I just not seeing something that's right under my nose?

Offline morrobay

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2021, 04:27:53 pm »
An admin has to do that, right?  I IM'd for help, but no reply.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2021, 05:50:30 pm »
awww, Pepper Ann looks like a sweetie!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2021, 07:38:39 pm »
I'm going to the Austin Pets Alive thrift store this afternoon to meet Pepper Ann.  She's currently in foster care, so not in the shelter.  She's older and has some mobility problems, but she seems like she'd be a good fit...the only consideration is Emmett.  If he didn't accept her, I'd hate to have to take her back.

Aww, what a sweetie!

Congrats on  your new family member (hopefully), Nancy!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2021, 08:35:39 pm »
awww, Pepper Ann looks like a sweetie!

They posted a video of her, she does look adorable!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2021, 08:38:18 pm »
Aww, what a sweetie!

Congrats on  your new family member (hopefully), Nancy!

Hi Sonja!  I didn't feel well today so didn't go to see her.  But I DM'd her foster mom on Instagram and set it up for tomorrow.  I don't want to get too excited...we'll see how it goes.  I wish I could take Emmett with me to meet her ::)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2021, 07:35:05 am »
OK, I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the drawer, but why can't I find this place in the list of "Child Boards" (i.e., blogs)? What am I missing? Am I just not seeing something that's right under my nose?

An admin has to do that, right?  I IM'd for help, but no reply.

I'm trying to move it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2021, 07:47:29 am »
Ok, I have now created a blog space (child board) "Is it something I said? 2" and am now trying to move this thread.

So far, this is a regular thread, not a child board. I added the 2 to the blog title to avoid confusion and will remove it later, when everything works. Knock on wood.

ETA: Done. Looks like it works. Any problems, let me know.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2021, 10:19:48 am »
Great, thanks for your help!

Nancy

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2021, 12:19:11 pm »
:)

Hope you're feeling better, and that you get to see Pepper Ann today.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2021, 03:12:34 pm »
thanks Chuck, I do feel better today. 

I just got back from meeting her and of course, she's adorable...very friendly, happy...she has problems walking, can't jump up into the car, etc, a link below is a video of her walking.

Even if Emmett was afraid of her, she's unable to run after him, so he'd always be safe.  But I still don't know if he would accept her and be comfortable around a new dog.  I don't want his life to change.  It's a big decision. 

https://youtu.be/tPke9dI1-cg

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2021, 04:18:29 pm »
Why is she walking like that?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2021, 04:53:49 pm »
Ok, I have now created a blog space (child board) "Is it something I said? 2" and am now trying to move this thread.

So far, this is a regular thread, not a child board. I added the 2 to the blog title to avoid confusion and will remove it later, when everything works. Knock on wood.

ETA: Done. Looks like it works. Any problems, let me know.

It worked. At least, it shows up on the list when I look now. Thanks!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2021, 06:50:11 pm »
Why is she walking like that?

I was surprised that her foster didn't know more about her...they suspect a neurological problem, but I didn't get a definitive answer.  I might ask if she was x-rayed, and if those x-rays can be sent to my vet.

She's so cute, though...I wonder if she would do well in a wheelchair...I follow several wheelie dogs on Instagram.  But just seeing her for a few minutes, I think she's ok - for the moment - on her own.  I guess everything would depend on a clear diagnosis.  Rotts are known to have hip problems anyway, so it won't get any better as she gets older, that's for sure.  I don't know if I'm up to taking care of a disabled dog...I might not have the courage.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2021, 08:34:37 pm »
I was surprised that her foster didn't know more about her...they suspect a neurological problem, but I didn't get a definitive answer.  I might ask if she was x-rayed, and if those x-rays can be sent to my vet.

She's so cute, though...I wonder if she would do well in a wheelchair...I follow several wheelie dogs on Instagram.  But just seeing her for a few minutes, I think she's ok - for the moment - on her own.  I guess everything would depend on a clear diagnosis.  Rotts are known to have hip problems anyway, so it won't get any better as she gets older, that's for sure.  I don't know if I'm up to taking care of a disabled dog...I might not have the courage.

Yeah, you probably need a clear diagnosis before you make a decision.

But she sure needs a good home, and I'm sure you're up to it if  you do take her home.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2021, 11:35:15 am »
yeah, I would have to get a definite diagnosis before I adopted her.  It's not fair to ask someone to take a dog with an obvious problem, without knowing what the future might be.  What if she wasn't able to walk at all, in a  year or two.  She's only 3. 

I get upset with Austin Pets Alive, I think they just want to keep their numbers up, for how many animals they're able to adopt out, so they can keep their government funding.  They didn't even want to do a home visit, to see if my house was ok for Pepper.  She asked me if it was one or two story...it's one, but if they don't check, how do they know I'm not lying?

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2021, 05:07:36 pm »
That doesn't sound very responsible to me.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2021, 08:40:48 pm »
In all fairness, they do a great job with the shelter.  I just wish they were more thorough in the placement process.

But they place as many dogs and cats as they can in foster care.  They train dogs that are in the shelter to do obedience commands, it gives them a much better chance at being adopted.  Last year they gave out free dog and cat food to Austin pet owners who needed help during covid.  And they take in dogs and cats from other states, after disasters like floods and tornadoes. The volunteers work with the dogs a lot, get them out of their cages for exercise...they are even building tiny homes on the premises that the dogs can stay in.

Introducing APA! tiny homes! These cottages will double as comfortable and quiet housing for the most in-need dogs and workspaces for staff and volunteers. The idea is to provide more of a home-like environment for the dogs, for decompression, training, and quality-of-life purposes. The cottages will each have their own yard and be outfitted with dog-friendly seating and work spaces, as well as heat and a/c. The goal is that the dogs assigned to these cottages will move in permanently until we are able to find a foster or adoptive home for them - no more kennel life for these lucky pups!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2021, 10:55:51 am »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2021, 02:15:27 pm »
:laugh:

Offline morrobay

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2021, 01:08:41 pm »
this is hilarious...I didn't laugh until the lawyer spoke  :laugh:

Lawyer accidentally appears as cat in virtual court case
A livestream of a virtual court proceeding in Texas took an "appawling" turn when a lawyer appeared as a cat on screen

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/02/09/cat-filter-texas-lawyer-zoom-call-court-hearing-bu-orig.cnn/video/playlists/atv-trending-videos/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2021, 02:47:09 pm »
Awww....thanks for sharing!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2021, 04:04:17 pm »
"I'm live, I'm not a cat!"

:laugh:  :laugh:

Offline morrobay

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2021, 02:15:05 pm »
also a 26 car pileup in Austin  :(  this one was near Dallas

Devastating 100-car pile-up on Texas freeway kills five and traps dozens of injured drivers as overnight sleet turns road into 'sheet of ice' - with crash site running 1.5 MILES long

Offline morrobay

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2021, 02:24:55 pm »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2021, 04:35:32 pm »

Devastating 100-car pile-up on Texas freeway kills five and traps dozens of injured drivers as overnight sleet turns road into 'sheet of ice' - with crash site running 1.5 MILES long

Holy cow!  :o

Offline morrobay

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2021, 05:17:53 pm »
I better put the snow tires on my car  ;)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2021, 06:51:51 pm »

Holy crap!  That's crazy!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2021, 04:45:03 pm »
best line of the day goes to CNN's Jim Acosta, reporting that trump's lawyers played clips of Madonna is some desperate attempt to deflect from real life...

"They played clips of Madonna, sort of a Papa Don't Impeach..."

Trump’s Impeachment Defense: What About Madonna?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/trump-impeachment-defense-madonna-193658834.html

Offline morrobay

« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2021, 04:58:22 pm »
so I'm overreacting to the weather, just like everyone else.  I've charged both of my back-up battery packs so if I lose power (which I'm following on the Austin Energy Outage map) at least I have my cell phone and a kindle Fire.  I downloaded all 5 seasons of NYPD Blue to the Fire so I have hours of stuff to watch...'cause you never know.  All my trees, and even the hedge in front, are covered in ice, I went out to see how many limbs on the pecan trees are over the house - 2.   

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2021, 05:08:10 pm »
Wow, everything is icy over by you?  Stay safe and dry!!!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2021, 09:53:25 am »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2021, 10:29:16 am »
Lovely scene! Nice way to wake up this morning. It was also nice opening the blinds to see a soft blanket of frost this morning. Nice to look at when you don't have to go out.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2021, 11:04:09 am »
I love the post with the picture - with all the noise going on now, it's a good way to relax and recharge.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2021, 05:07:50 pm »
Donald Trump acquitted

pathetic...and sad to say, he'll be back

Offline morrobay

« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2021, 06:46:11 pm »
I need solace...

EDWARD HOPPER, NEW YORK MOVIE, 1939. IMAGE COURTESY OF VAGA AT ARTISTS RIGHTS SOCIETY (ARS), NY.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2021, 06:47:36 pm »
Andrew Wyeth
Wind from the Sea, 1947

Offline morrobay

« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2021, 06:49:06 pm »
Andrew Wyeth: Evening at Kuerners, 1970, watercolor on paper with drybrush, 25½ by 39¾ inches. Courtesy Artist Rights Society, New York

Offline morrobay

« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2021, 06:52:31 pm »
Andrew Wyeth "Four Seasons" 1962 1st Edition Original Lithograph Prints

Offline morrobay

« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2021, 06:58:24 pm »
I gave this to a friend as a present in the 80s and haven't been able to find it again...

"Cat Nap 1963 "
Limited Edition Print : Lithograph on Paper
Size : 19.5x12.5 in  |  50x32 cm

Offline morrobay

« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2021, 07:06:04 pm »

Andrew Wyeth "Around the Corner"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2021, 08:42:40 pm »
I'm always in awe of anyone's artistic talent, since I have none.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2021, 11:28:19 am »
me, too

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2021, 11:51:39 am »
Have you had bad weather?  Looking out my window, it doesn't appear that anything has happened here.   Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2021, 01:40:12 pm »
It's supposed to start tonight...kinda worried about three things, losing power, ice causing limbs to fall on the roof, frozen pipes...it should all be over by Thursday,

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST MONDAY... ...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON CST MONDAY...

For the Winter Storm Warning, heavy mixed precipitation. Additional snow accumulations of 1 to 3 inches with isolated amounts near 6 inches and ice accumulations up to around one tenth of an inch. For the Wind Chill Advisory, very cold wind chills expected. Wind chills as low as 15 below zero.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2021, 01:51:31 pm »
this was posted on my Next Door feed...Cecil!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2021, 02:59:28 pm »
awww.  Stay warm, Cecil!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2021, 04:08:15 pm »
this was posted on my Next Door feed...Cecil!

Hmm....I can't help wondering if the warm blankets isn't a mistake...

He's reptile, so cold-blooded. The blankets would prevent the heat from the space heater to reach him, not help heating him up.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2021, 06:09:45 pm »
good point...I don't think they kept the blankets on him, though, just until they saw him move around.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2021, 06:27:14 pm »
Wonderful! Keep them coming!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2021, 08:05:28 pm »
good point...I don't think they kept the blankets on him, though, just until they saw him move around.

yeah, it seems so

Offline morrobay

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2021, 10:40:12 am »
it's 7°, sunny, we got about 5" of snow...plows won't come down my little street.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2021, 10:40:42 am »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2021, 10:41:28 am »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2021, 10:42:41 am »
bird tracks right by the patio door...I wish I had some birdseed

Offline morrobay

« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2021, 11:02:28 am »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2021, 11:41:20 am »
Wow!  5 inches of snow is a lot for your area, isn't it?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2021, 11:51:10 am »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2021, 11:51:53 am »
5" is a lot for Austin, very unusual.

Austin Energy has begun rolling outages...the red ares are each 1000+ homes without power...not sure if the black X is visible, that's where I am

Offline morrobay

« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2021, 11:53:06 am »
Is this your own space?

yes, the snow seen through an antique leaded window in my bedroom

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2021, 11:55:17 am »
5" is a lot for Austin, very unusual.

Austin Energy has begun rolling outages...the red ares are each 1000+ homes without power...not sure if the black X is visible, that's where I am

I can see it. There was a report on network news this morning about rolling blackouts, but I didn't catch what part of Texas. I noticed more the handsome reporter.  ::)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2021, 03:52:23 pm »
I can see the "x", so you are near the area of the outage, but it's not affecting you.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2021, 05:15:43 pm »
right, so far I'm right on the edge.  Most of these have been out since 1:30am this morning.

I checked the traffic and expected to see all the roads green, because no one is out driving, right?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2021, 07:22:52 pm »
yes, the snow seen through an antique leaded window in my bedroom

The window is lovely. Actually, I was focusing on the prayer desk. I have to make do with the side of my bed.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2021, 08:39:14 pm »
I suspect the side of your bed does the job  :)

I got this one at a local auction house for $100...

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2021, 09:48:15 pm »
I've never seen a prayer desk like that before.  Nice.

I remember a few years ago, I was really into Wicca for some reason.  Not practicing, but just curious about it.  I started to research some stuff online, and happened to mention it to mom.  I think she thought I was starting to look into the occult.

I could see the look on her face, and I said to her:  "No worries mom, do you really think I'd take the time to put an altar space in my place?"  LOL

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2021, 10:12:14 pm »
I suspect the side of your bed does the job  :)

It does. I'm wearing thin places in the carpet, though.  :)

I got this one at a local auction house for $100...

That was great!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2021, 12:44:56 pm »
It's a bad situation in Austin.  I've been on Reddit Austin, 212,000 people have been without power since Sunday morning at 1:30am.  Temps in houses are 40-50 degrees, hotels are full...if you could even get to one, the roads are still bad.  They've opened cold weather shelters, but people can't get there.  Bus service is down again today.  Airport is closed.  Grocery stores have limited hours and I'm sure lines.  Convenience stores are closed or have lines out the door and are running out of stuff.  I don't know how I was lucky/blessed enough to have power this whole time. 

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2021, 07:59:28 pm »
Thank God for favors!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2021, 08:20:22 pm »
I do not understand how the grid can support the city in the summer for months on end with people running AC and temps are in the high 90s to low 100s, and this storm shut them down in a day.  People who lost power on Sunday morning at 1:30 in the morning are still without power...nothing has been restored.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2021, 08:28:30 pm »
I don't work at any of the places mentioned in the article, but our company is in the semi conductor industry.  An email went out today that production was suspended until tomorrow and it may go longer than that.  The email didn't say if the city of Austin shut off the power, or if we volunteered to do it...it'll cost us a lot of money...Samsung is one of our biggest customers.

Austin Energy shuts off power to major industrial users

Austin Energy's biggest customers – industrial users like Samsung, NXP Semiconductors and Infineon Semiconductors – have all had their Austin operations completely shut down amid the freeze.

A consortium known as the Coalition for Clean, Affordable, Reliable Energy that negotiates with Austin Energy on behalf of the city's biggest users of electricity confirmed that Austin Energy shut off power to the companies. It was unclear exactly when their electricity was cut off.

It is a rare move that has the potential to cost the companies millions of dollars, as it stops production and also could lead to some products being ruined by interrupting the manufacturing process.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2021, 09:46:10 pm »
disgraceful...skyscrapers and empty office buildings blazing with lights, neighborhoods on the left, dark and cold.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2021, 09:48:16 pm »
6:49 PM CST February 16, 2021
Facebook Twitter
AUSTIN, Texas — Travis County Judge Andy Brown said Tuesday that he is signing an order to require Austin businesses, stadiums and skyscrapers to turn off their outside lighting and any other non-essential lights or functions, in an effort to conserve energy during the city's ongoing power crisis.

This announcement comes after social media outrage over photos of the Austin skyline lit up Monday night, as thousands of residents in neighboring areas continued to deal with power outages. Austin Energy said Tuesday that the downtown network is currently excluded from load shedding during controlled outages mandated by ERCOT because it is a part of a "complicated, inter-connected network" that includes critical buildings.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2021, 10:00:21 pm »
some quotes from people on Reddit Austin  :'(

I've been here 7 years and after 2 days of no heat I'm breaking down crying typing this.  I've been able to see my breath in my apartment for the past 24 hours. I pay $1350/mo for this.

I just arrived this past Thursday for a new job hoping to make a dent in my life but arrived having zero clue what is to come. Here I am no furniture, none of my stuff, empty fridge, no car or anything stuck here trying to stay warm with only my jacket and hoodie that I fortunately packed with me. I have luckily power but I'm keeping myself in one room and the apartment is at 50 trying to conserve. Water is frozen, so can't shower or even flush the toilet.

39° in my house after 48hrs of no power. Tankless water heater isn’t made for these conditions. East Austin and $2400/monthly rent

what are the dangers of me sleeping in my car tonight?  My apartment is freezing, no power 24+ hours, no water I can’t sleep in there again. My apartment parking lot is open enough so no worries right?

We are on the wait list of multiple emergency plumbing services but they all are booked till March (yes the emergency services) or won't even take calls. What next? What can we do to make the house liveable without running water?

And then there's this:

Where Can I Sign Up To Help?

As the title states, where can I sign up to help out during this? I'm not working this week, so want to help as many as possible who aren't as well prepared/suffering during this. I've already been cruising around jumping cars, pulling people out of ice/mud, handing some gas out, etc.... I'd like something a biiittt more organized to maximize things.

Specifically, I have a nice 4x4 weighted down, crew cab, and fairly set up to handle these conditions (barring other drivers). Hand sanitizer and spare masks out the wazoo for passengers and can transport food/people. A lot of charging ports and a sharable hotspot internet for keeping phones and such online.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2021, 10:27:16 pm »
What a mess.

I've seen a number of posts by people blaming the wind power set up, but others are refuting that.

I keep waiting (and praying that I won't hear) for stories of people who froze to death because they are without heat.  And if anyone has damage to their homes due to frozen pipes, who will compensate them for that?  It's not their fault they are without heat.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2021, 12:28:10 am »
Ex Colorado City mayor catching heat for comments about citizens affected by cold

by: Joey Hollingsworth -  Feb 16, 2021

The now former mayor of Colorado City is catching some heat after a social media post berating citizens affected by the cold.

In a Facebook post made Tuesday morning, Tim Boyd wrote that it is “not the local government’s responsibility to support you during trying times like this! Sink or swim, it’s your choice!”

Addressing power outages, Boyd writes, “The City and County, along with power providers or any other service owes you NOTHING! I’m sick and tired of people looking for a damn handout!”

“Only the strong will survive and the weak will parish (sic),”
Boyd continues.

Boyd made another social media post later Tuesday afternoon saying he “won’t deny for one minute” what he said in the post, and that many of the things he wrote were “taken out of context.”

In the same post, Boyd writes that he had already turned in his resignation, although it is unclear if he did so before or after writing the initial Facebook post.

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/ex-colorado-city-mayor-catching-heat-for-comments-about-citizens-affected-by-cold/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2021, 09:38:39 am »
They're always "taken out of context."  ::)

My a_ _ those comments were "taken out of context."  >:(

I can't even imagine what it's like in Austin right now, except for the people without water. I live in a highrise. When our power goes out, so does our water (no power to run the pumps). I do know what it's like when you can't even flush the toilet.  :(

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2021, 06:32:58 pm »
I can't even imagine what it's like in Austin right now, except for the people without water. I live in a highrise. When our power goes out, so does our water (no power to run the pumps). I do know what it's like when you can't even flush the toilet.  :(

I had a situation like that.  There was a water main break, and only found out I had no water when I flushed the toilet, and it didn't refill.

I called my parents, and they told me I could go to their place if I needed to later, thankfully, it was only a few hours before it was fixed.

Meanwhile, I'm hearing that 20 people have died due to this, but I heard that earlier today.  I hope the number hasn't gone up since then.