Author Topic: On buckets, eagles, impatience, and...  (Read 85407 times)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Ode to the bucket
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 11:55:03 am »
When Jack sloshes the water, my first reaction is "oh no, wasting precious water!" and then I realize duh, they're right next to the source.  They can get more.  And that reminds me of "what are you talkin' about, there're a thousand of em" -- in response to Ennis's unwillingness to spare a single sheep.  Jack: extravagant, unafraid to give; Ennis: stingy, afraid.  You only reap what you sow, baby.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 12:11:25 pm »
Your perceptive reply, henrypie, reminds me of how Willy Nelson put it, "He was always on the move, never reaped what he could sow." Poor Jack. Thank you.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 12:16:41 pm »
Off symbol if not altogether OT, but ties in:

Again, during the (by me much beloved) "getting to know you on Brokeback" montage, just before bountiful Jack strides up with his sloshing buckets, we see the boys "beavering away" (literally) at that tree--

'Patient Ennis' is dutifully sawing, and 'Impatient Jack' is wielding the axe...

But you already knew that, didn't you?

:-\
John
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 12:25:07 pm »
WOW! Great to see that there's still plenty to discuss, analyze and find out about BBM! Love your bucket-idea Front-Ranger!

And that reminds me of "what are you talkin' about, there're a thousand of em" -- in response to Ennis's unwillingness to spare a single sheep.  Jack: extravagant, unafraid to give; Ennis: stingy, afraid.  You only reap what you sow, baby.
So true! That's one reason why their story ended the way it did.

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 12:42:41 pm »
(Tell you what, friends, I love this thread!  Is there a way to quote more than one post at a time?)

Do others feel this is meant to be left in or was just a happy accident that no one noticed?
The bucket takes off downstream when Ennis bumps it with the frying pan.  Its floating off and him chasing it aren't in the screenplay.  Whether it was initially an accident, or an idea that came up on set - assuming there was more than one take, what we see on screen looks deliberate to me. 
And, yes it's floating off, and yes Ennis is really angry (i.e. terrified of being outed in Riverton and taking that fear out on Jack), but at least he's still chasing the bucket, doesn't just sit there and watch it float away.
But it's a really little, and mostly empty bucket, isn't it, compared to the full ones Jack was bringing in the early scene?  Ennis here is chasing after a paltry symbol, when the real person has turned around and started walking away from him.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 02:04:45 pm by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 01:06:13 pm »
I feel another subject starting to assert itself...this movie just eats at you, doesn't it. It won't let me alone, and I love it. What I am wondering about today is why we so often see Jack in a horizontal position, napping, looking over the sheep, playing his harmonica, etc. The scene that got me going on this subject was where he was opening a can of beans while Ennis was stripping (sigh). He IS pretty good with a can opener actually, but the reason why he messes up, IMHO, is because he is doing it in a supine position with the can balanced on his stomach! Now, the way Ennis would have done it was to put the can down on a hard surface and open it from there, applying leverage. That way, it's also easier to get the lid off without getting beans all over. But I digress. This laying down that Jack does, is it just an extension of his leaning behavior? Is it an expression of his...what? (Oops, just had an Ennis moment there). Help me understand this!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 01:51:54 pm »
And, after the first tent scene, just think about the fetching Madame Recamier pose he chooses to display himself (strategically located above the herd) after completing the laundry and chores back in camp....
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 02:55:29 pm »
Maybe it's an expression of his comfort level.  He seems to be ok in his own body.  He's seems to be comfortable around Ennis and around the situation, which is the exact opposite of how Ennis feels.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 03:05:02 pm »
Maybe you're right deedee. I did cringe when Jack was lounging (good expression John, "Madame Recamier" LOL) and nonchalantly flexing his booted feet when Ennis came up behind him with his gun (why did he have to have his gun with him at that point?  :'( ) but he sure seemed to be pretty carefree and comfortable, not like I would be!!

And John, your prose is awesome! Are you a writer perchance? I would like to appoint you co-author of this thread if you would care to accept the title. We could make beautiful words together  8)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 05:23:12 pm »
Back to the original topic for just a sec while I express my appreciation and amazement: Woooooeeeee!!!! I skipped this thread for days, foolishly thinking there couldn't possibly be anything interesting to say about a bucket. Meanwhile, I assumed by now we had exhausted the search for every imaginable metaphor and symbol. I tip my cowboy hat to you, Front Ranger (and to you, jmm and others, for your insightful additions)!

We've said it a million times already, but it bears repeating here: Absolutely nothing in this movie is accidental! Resume the search (and we will ponder the question of horizontalness).