Author Topic: When Should All-Brokies Day Be?  (Read 8685 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: When Should All-Brokies Day Be?
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 03:40:33 pm »
I guess our martyrs are Ennis and Jack, our goal is to be in their company, and our most accessible place is the internet.  What does that suggest to you all in terms of All Brokies Day and how it should be celebrated?

What about November 7, then? The date they should have met up, but never could because of Jack's untimely death. A fitting date for remembrance, for imagining them together, for making them meet up and stay together in our hearts at least. (Does that sound too sappy?)

I've got no problem with the moon uncertainty though. We could just decide a date anyhow. Mythology is like that, the origins uncertain and lost in the moonlit mist. But I know others disagree on that one.

I'm sure going to do something else than watch TV on Oscar night - I detest that show so much I don't like the thought of it being honoured with Brokies celebrating that day in any way, even if it is to spite the darn show. Let it pass by in silence, say I.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 03:55:17 pm »
What about November 7, then? The date they should have met up, but never could because of Jack's untimely death. A fitting date for remembrance, for imagining them together, for making them meet up and stay together in our hearts at least. (Does that sound too sappy?)

I love that idea:  close to All Saints; apropriate date for remembrance.
The camping trip that never was...

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 04:31:52 pm »
That's a good idea, but Nov. 7 is half over with already!!!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 05:32:29 pm »
Well, I thought there was nothing new I had to learn about BBM, but I was wrong!  I never noticed the 7 on that postcard!  :P

I like November 7 just fine.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 03:46:30 am »
I love the idea of November 7th.  If it gets added to the poll choices, I will change my vote.  Could we also call it Pine Creek Day?  Many holidays have more than one variation on their names.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 03:52:58 am by Ellemeno »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 01:27:30 pm »
I picked First Full Moon. 

That is a date that is the same for Brokies everywhere, as opposed to say..the movie release date - that was different from country to country.  I like a date that is one and the same for all Brokies!  ;) 
That, and it was the day everything forever changed for the lads!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 01:30:02 pm by Lucise »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 10:20:57 pm »
I love the Pine Creek Day idea.  I voted for the Oct. 13 idea originally because it seems extra important as the day that all this started.  But,  it now occurs to me that Oct. 13 will be celebrated anyway because of it's significance.  And, likewise, all the full-moons will be warmly recognized in all the full moon chats.  It seems that we have a lot of moon honoring going on around here as part of our routine (which of course is a good thing).

So, Pine Creek Day is something entirely different and not tied to those other things.  So, what's supposed to happen on All Brokies Day anyway?  Are there rituals that we should be aware of ... or that we should initiate?
 ;)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 11:44:29 am »
Looks like All-Brokies Day will be the first full moon in June unless you 9 Decembrists can pull a rally...and you'd better redline it pronto because December 9 is coming right up!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 12:15:20 pm »
Might we narrow it down and make a new poll with just three choices:  June moon, December 9 and November 7?

I still hold out hopes for November.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 03:25:45 am »
Looks like All-Brokies Day will be the first full moon in June unless you 9 Decembrists can pull a rally...and you'd better redline it pronto because December 9 is coming right up!!

Wait, Lee!  What about all the enthusiasm for November 7th, Pine Creek Day?  It's not on the poll.  Could we do Meryl's suggestion above, starting with a fresh poll?