Author Topic: The mettle of a man  (Read 31097 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The mettle of a man
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2007, 04:58:56 am »
My first impression was that the anchor reference relates to Jack's role in relation to Ennis - that in some sense, Ennis, man of the earth, serves to anchor Jack, who we sometimes interpret as spiritual, air, ephemeral.  It's interesting to note that we see the anchor not long before I think Ennis perhaps feels Jack's presence beckoning him to look into the closet nook.  Jack's earthly, corporeal presence is no longer able to provide a fixed point for Ennis.  Ennis now is left to set his own course - no longer 'anchored' by his relationship with Jack.  That the discovery of the shirts in some sense hoists the anchor leaving Ennis the choices of being adrift or setting his own course.

OK - I know I'm flailing about here.  What do others think??

-Lynne

I don't think you fall short at all. Your interpretation is thoughful and convincing. It can even be confirmed and carried on with the lamp. The fact that the anchor is combined with a lamp can symbolize that they were each others anchor (something that roots/grounds them, that is a fixing point for them) as well as each others light of the life.

Of course there are other possible interpretations: a quite simple one is that the anchor stands for Jack, reminds us of his hopeful, spirited self (which he managed to develop right there, in this room/house, despite his desolate upbringing). And it can be interpreted as sign that Jack never lost hope totally (for his life, for his relationship with Ennis).

But I have another interpretation: it is another Christian symbol (apparently), and (less apparently) one of three in the Twist house that belong together: faith, hope and charity, symbolized by a cross, an anchor and a heart.

Interestingly, in German, we say "Glaube, Liebe, Hoffnung" = "Faith, Love, Hope".
Love instead of charity. Interesting difference at first sight. But the word "charitiy" has his origins in the Latin word "caritas", which is itself the Latin translation for the Greek "agape". Agape is simply love (well, it's not that simple, there are various slightly different interpretations and explanations to it, as to which kind of love is meant - but in the end agape can be equated with love).

We have the cross as symbol for faith in the Twist kitchen. We have the anchor as symbol for hope in Jack's room. And then Ennis finds the heart, the love, The Shirts.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2007, 05:25:37 am »
Another interesting detail: the anchor symbolizes hope of heavenly blessedness and withstanding against desperation (and we know a guy who's damned good in standing things). Another positive touch at the end of the movie, another hint of hope for Ennis' future, amidst all bleakness in both, Ennis' life and the Twist house.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2007, 11:01:04 pm »
Chrissi, your posts are heartrending, and yours as well Lynne! I think you two have hit the nail on the head, to dredge up a rusty but still useable phrase LOL!

For a slightly different interpretation, but one that can co-exist with yours, please see the thread I am about to create called the Hidden Ocean.

Wow, the Castro Showing inspired me immensely! Did it have the same effect on you, Lynne? I think it did!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2007, 06:16:01 pm »

I feel the anchor also represents Jack need to go, seek and  try to find something far from
his place of origin.  He wanted to travel the seas...."be anywhere but where he was."
        He found his sea...and land...the Island Ennis, and the sea Del Mar.  that was the place
to sink his anchor.   (no pun intended)
         Ennis needed to find his source for an  anchor.  The shirts were his way to finally place
his own anchor.  All the symbols he found in that room, let him understand where he had been.
Maybe even where he needed to go in future.
         I think he realized, it was not all for naught..the words that were never  spoken.
It was said in other terms...He then realized Jack had "loved" him as he had loved Jack.  Even
though they had never spoken those words to each other.
         I am not sure he had known it for sure until that moment.

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2007, 07:40:35 pm »
Interesting!!

Why do we gay men seek another gay man?

To anchor?

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2007, 09:02:58 pm »
Abso-effen-lutely, Artiste. The need for an anchor in this world knows no gender and no orientation. That was the big message of the movie, in my humble opinion. Not only do people of all stripes need a loving partner to anchor them, but they deserve to have it. Our inalienable rights are to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, not necessarily in that order!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2007, 09:21:01 pm »
Wow Front-Ranger!!

What makes it so hard to find that person?

How can one be found?

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2007, 09:38:46 pm »
Wow Front-Ranger!!

What makes it so hard to find that person?

How can one be found?

Hugs!!
You know, I have really wondered that myself! So many times, I've heard from my gay friends about how lonely they are...and how they are always searching for that special person. But many of these friends of mine have shells so hard that they could never be cracked open. They'd need a mountain to break open that shell to let love in...not saying that I'm any different...we're all in the same boat!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2007, 09:58:12 pm »
Maybe this might help: it could be because gay men could or can NOT marry a gay man!!??

A lady told me once: it is better to marry since you do not have to look for it (sex, etc.);
so marriage between gay men might help??

Many gays now come to Canada from the USA to get married. Would love to see how such marriages help??!! Any facts yet??

What do you think, is that a possible solution?? Or is it because of social fear, as even in BM movie??

Hugs!!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2007, 11:50:27 pm »
Did it have the same effect on you, Lynne? I think it did!

It had some effect, Lee, but nothing as major as other group viewings.  I think it was just because I was too rushed to get there and not having enough time.  Didn't even get to see you for a second!  I was very pleased to have understood something I'd never noticed though - namely, the anchor.  And I liked singing Maker's at the end...usually I wouldn't be so blasphemous, but people (not our crew!) were actually getting up and leaving before final credits.  Good grief!

Another interesting detail: the anchor symbolizes hope of heavenly blessedness and withstanding against desperation (and we know a guy who's damned good in standing things). Another positive touch at the end of the movie, another hint of hope for Ennis' future, amidst all bleakness in both, Ennis' life and the Twist house.

Beautifully put, Chrissi.  Someone (Br. Patrick) said someone else mentioned the anchor as a phallic symbol.  And though I can see that, I suppose, I don't feel it applies here - the moment is too spiritual.

I feel the anchor also represents Jack need to go, seek and  try to find something far from
his place of origin.  He wanted to travel the seas...."be anywhere but where he was."

So true, Janice - Jack was always looking out at that one road - the one he would travel yet always look back.  Shit.

What makes it so hard to find that person?  How can one be found?

Excellent questions, Artiste, but I haven't a clue.  I'm sure it's much much harder for homosexuals than for heterosexuals because of a need to be guarded and circumspect in many/most circumstances, but it's not a given no matter what...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."