Author Topic: Michelle Williams' dad  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Michelle Williams' dad
« on: November 01, 2006, 10:44:02 pm »
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20671979-5006009,00.html

Here's the text of the article:

Larry's life on the run
By Angela Kamper
October 31, 2006 12:00

HE'S been a "prisoner" in Sydney for five months but finance guru Larry Williams is having such a good time he does not want to leave.

And he's even sat down with The Daily Telegraph to deliver his must-do list of Sydney – ranging from dinner at Tetsuyas to morning runs through The Rocks.

"I would love to stay here and see more of Australia," the accused white-collar criminal told The Daily Telegraph yesterday over breakfast on Elizabeth St's fancy Bambini Trust – a regular haunt.

At 64, the father of Hollywood actress Michelle Williams has made the best of a bad situation.

Williams originally came to Australia in May for a series of finance seminars but was arrested at Sydney airport and charged with evading $US1.5 million in US income tax.

Since then he has been confined to the Sydney CBD and its surrounding parks while awaiting a full extradition hearing in March.

In that time he has not seen his famous daughter, who once lived in Bronte with her actor love Heath Ledger, but has got to know her former city well.

He has enjoyed dining at fine restaurants like Tetsuyas for the "Japanese experience" – and even became hooked on television pop competition Australian Idol because he can relate to "what those kids are going through".

The futures and commodities trader also doesn't mind a Hunter Valley shiraz and will shop at Coles for fruit and vegetables that taste "real".

Formerly a resident in St Croix in the US Virgin Islands, where he says quality produce is diminishing, Sydney doesn't even compare.

"You go to Coles here and buy fruit and vegetables and it tastes like the real thing," he said.

With his Aussie jogging mate Dave Clarke, who he met at a Brisbane trading seminar in 2002, Williams has managed to take in Sydney's best sights.

Most days he goes for a 10km run from his luxury apartment in the Grand Quay building in Macquarie St through some of the city's most picturesque streets.

His only inconvenience is having to make a pitstop at the Rocks police station as part of his bail conditions.

Williams hopes his legal problems will be sorted out next March – so he may even make Australia a permanent home.

"I'm a country boy so I would probably want to be somewhere in the country," he said.

"I still have trouble with the accents but I will get used to it."

After his arrest in May, Williams spent several nights in custody before being released on bail.

The bail was put up by his fiance Louise Stapleton with a surety of $1 million, which confines him to the CBD, beaches and surrounding parks.

Originally raised in Montana where he ran for the Senate as a Republican, Williams has five children and hopes some will visit over Christmas.

He is an avid Idol fan having been there with his daughter Michelle, who wanted to break into Hollywood.

But Williams admits his legal issues may have tainted her glowing reputation.

"I'm certain it has had some effect on her," he said.

"I'm sure that Michelle has enough understanding and love in her heart and she'll deal with it."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 11:28:02 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Michelle Williams' dad
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 06:01:24 pm »
I read a bit of that on her website the other day. Looks as if he is trying to stand it rather than fix it. Willie Nelson fixed it, I imagine he will in time. From what I read Heath and Michelle have cut their ties to Australia.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."