Author Topic: Little boy Ennis/ fireworks scene  (Read 5739 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Little boy Ennis/ fireworks scene
« on: November 02, 2006, 07:27:10 am »
Whenever I see the movie, there's always one little boy that sticks out to me from the crowd in the fireworks scene. Unfortunately I couldn't find a screen caption with him in it, so I hope my description will be enough.

It is at the beginning of the scene, he is one of the boys trying to light the firecracker. First we see two arms and the firecracker, then we see one boy. He wears a denim jacket, a straw cowboy hat, a plaid shirt and a beige bandana. He has blonde hairs and wears glasses.

Everytime I see him, he reminds me of Ennis. I can't help but think he is Ennis. Well, kind of embodiment/materialization of the boy Ennis once was.

In this scene, plenty of people are to be seen, but two of them really stick out to me and one is said boy. His face has not a notably alikeness to Ennis, but the rest fits. He looks like a miniature edition of Ennis. He wears glasses and Ennis did not as a boy, but he should have.

Though he reaches down to light the firecracker, he is not the one who does it. His hand pulls away. And he seems to be a bit frightened of the firecracker who has just been lighted. Fascinated by it, but also backing off from it.

I've never seen anybody mentioning this boy, but for me he is very noticable.

The second person that catches my eye is an old man, sitting on the ground. His clothes are held in Ennis's colors, too and he waves a little American flag. He watches the turmoil around the bikers.
With him I am not so sure, my feeling is not so strong as with the boy, but I think he could portray Ennis as old man.

We've talked about other man with black/white hats representing the respective other to our cowoboys in some scenes (during Jack's dance with Lureen for example).
Maybe in the fireworks scene there are two persons representing one of our cowboy's self at a different phase of his life.
If so, what does this mean? And can you think of similar representaions for Jack? Bobby comes to my mind, in the combine driving scene, as possible representative of Jack. And it would be logical to have no representative of old Jack.

Your thoughts?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Little boy Ennis/ fireworks scene
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 04:36:24 pm »
I’m pretty sure that this “extra” is the same as the old man briefly glimpsed at the Childress dinner, dancing awkwardly with a much younger woman. Ennis dancing with Junior at her wedding, perhaps?

Thanks goadra for answering. I'll check to see whether the old man is the same in both scenes.

And a little shameless *bump*. Am I really the only one who sees Ennis in this little boy?

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 08:11:03 pm »
I really like the idea that young Jack and Ennis as well as old Ennis are "represented" or  somehow indicated to be present in the film. It's an interesting thought. It might well be that, subconsciously or consciously, that was one reason why those specific extras scenes were picked out for the film in the editing process.

Like you I've also noted the boy with the firecracker, and his combined fascination and fear of the explosive - just as you describe it. I'm having a bit of a problem seeing him as a direct image or personification of young Ennis, though - and I've had to let that percolate in my mind a bit to come up with the reason why that is so:

It's simply that to me the boy in the film seems more carefree and openly curious, more freely fascinated, than I imagine Ennis ever was, - even before his father took him to see the murdered man in the ditch.  :-\ That scene of Ennis's father bringing his two sons along; nearly pushing them, reining them in; - his heavy hand on Ennis's neck....the boy's seeming reluctance to follow the father along: It indicates to me that Ennis grew up in an continually oppressive environment with a father that didn't allow his sons much leeway and who to some degree was abusive (mentally and/or physically) from the very first. An environment that would make the small boy learn to cover and hide, teaching himself to curb and disguise any expressions of delight, frank curiosity and inquisitiveness on his part. So I imagine the real young Ennis with a firecracker would have been more cautious, more on guard. :'(

Online serious crayons

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 02:13:10 am »
Interesting ideas, Chrissi! I haven't paid that much attention to either the boy or the old man. But now that you mention it, that would be a cool subtle idea.  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 11:21:51 pm »
I'm really glad you mentioned the little boy!  I have noticed him.  I've never thought to consider him as a "young Ennis" type... But it certainly makes sense.  I actually love the detail of the glasses in this interpretation... You're right Ennis should have had glasses.  The quiet old man makes me sort of sad, because he seems to be only half-heartedly enjoying the fireworks (at least that's how I read his face and gestures).  It could be a bit of foreshadowing of Ennis as the disappointed older man that he'll become.

In the fireworks scene I'm always scanning the crowd for a black hat (to fit with our discussions in the Black/ White hats thread).  I've never really noticed one.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 08:39:09 am »
Thanks to you all for your posts.

Well, actually I had another thought when posting the OP, but found it was too far-streched. But some of your thoughts fit to it and so I'll throw it in anyway:

Maybe the boy is not the embodiment of the boy Ennis once was, but of the boy Ennis should have been (when he was a child). The boy he could have been, had the situation at home been other.

From Mikaela:
It's simply that to me the boy in the film seems more carefree and openly curious, more freely fascinated, than I imagine Ennis ever was,
An environment that would make the small boy learn to cover and hide, teaching himself to curb and disguise any expressions of delight, frank curiosity and inquisitiveness on his part.

Add the glasses and the boy's proper clothing: to me he made the impression of being well looked after. Add the fact that his parents took him to the 4th of July celebrations and let him enough leeway to play with other boys in the crowd.

Looks like a pretty normal/happy childhood. And yet the boy is fascinated but cautious with the fire(cracker). Some people simply are more cautious, more reserved, more quiet by nature. So is this boy - and so is Ennis. But growing up oppressed and then alone made the quiet Ennis taciturn, made him scared not cautious and insecure not reserved.

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 12:22:46 pm »
Little Boy Ennis?

Whenever I see the movie, there's always one little boy that sticks out to me from the crowd in the fireworks scene. Unfortunately I couldn't find a screen caption with him in it, so I hope my description will be enough.

It is at the beginning of the scene, he is one of the boys trying to light the firecracker. First we see two arms and the firecracker, then we see one boy. He wears a denim jacket, a straw cowboy hat, a plaid shirt and a beige bandana. He has blonde hairs and wears glasses.

Everytime I see him, he reminds me of Ennis. I can't help but think he is Ennis. Well, kind of embodiment/materialization of the boy Ennis once was.

In this scene, plenty of people are to be seen, but two of them really stick out to me and one is said boy. His face has not a notably alikeness to Ennis, but the rest fits. He looks like a miniature edition of Ennis. He wears glasses and Ennis did not as a boy, but he should have.

Though he reaches down to light the firecracker, he is not the one who does it. His hand pulls away. And he seems to be a bit frightened of the firecracker who has just been lighted. Fascinated by it, but also backing off from it.

I've never seen anybody mentioning this boy, but for me he is very noticable.

Old Man Ennis?

The second person that catches my eye is an old man, sitting on the ground. His clothes are held in Ennis's colors, too and he waves a little American flag. He watches the turmoil around the bikers.
With him I am not so sure, my feeling is not so strong as with the boy, but I think he could portray Ennis as old man.

We've talked about other man with black/white hats representing the respective other to our cowoboys in some scenes (during Jack's dance with Lureen for example).
Maybe in the fireworks scene there are two persons representing one of our cowboy's self at a different phase of his life.
If so, what does this mean? And can you think of similar representaions for Jack? Bobby comes to my mind, in the combine driving scene, as possible representative of Jack. And it would be logical to have no representative of old Jack.

Your thoughts?

Way Cool Penthesilea
Toast
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 12:29:58 pm by Toast »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 04:18:59 pm »
Hey Toast,
thanks a bunch for adding these pics to the thread  :-*. They're cool 8).
I had looked for screen caps of these two guys, but couldn't find.

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 01:20:57 am »
hi, anyone may know why Ang Lee make the 4 july scene? is that in the short story?

is that to show how manly Ennis can be despite his relation with same sex? that's kinda shallow though the more i hera myself guessing it that way.
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 09:10:14 pm »
So, has anyone spotted a black hat anywhere in the fireworks scene?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie