Author Topic: fffffffzzzzzzzzzzzzzap! (lightning and electricity references)  (Read 14902 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: fffffffzzzzzzzzzzzzzap! (lightning and electricity references)
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2006, 02:59:28 pm »
This may be a far stretch, but I'll include it anyway...

I've never really noticed the Newome signpost in the film (too busy looking at Jack, I suppose  ::) ) but in this picture it looks like an electric sign, it strikes me with the company name and motto it in a way represents Jack: It harnesses electricity, probably presenting a muted-down light at night - just like Jack has been reined in and muted down by becoming part of the Newsome family and company.

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2006, 05:24:26 pm »
The outer round shapes on the sign look like machine cogs, but the inner shapes look like spurs. Used to rein in horses. Horses can represent sexuality and the human spirit (they roam free in the summer on Brokeback but are confined for the rest of the film — most notably in the back of Ennis' truck in Jack's final scene).

Of course Jack would rather be on one of those horses than demo-ing that damn combine . . .

I'm just going by the idea that when Annie Proulx and the movie make a point of saying it's Jack's second summer on Brokeback and Ennis' first, they're talking about more than sheep herdin.

Literary metaphor. Oh.  I knew that . . . [slinks off]
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 05:26:16 pm by LauraGigs »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 10:59:18 pm »
This is a fabulous topic for a thread!

So, why is the storm during the motel scene omitted in the film?  There are some key indications of the arrival of wind (along with Jack) right as he gets out of his truck outside of Ennis's apartment, but there doesn't seem to be the same sense of drama to the weather here as in the story.  The storm symbol in the book may be slightly overdetermined... as Mikaela notes... but I think a lot of the symbols in the film (and probably the book too) are overdetermined.  But!  For me, somehow they still work and are very evocative for me.  Things like the large flame in the background between Jack and Ennis in TS2 might be a little bit much as far as symbols go, but I still think it works as an interesting symbol (and one that effectively stirs emotions) regardless.  I like the storm in the motel scene myself... and it does become even more interesing if Alma gets thrown into the interpretation of the storm.  Water in a violent rage... and then like Meryl said, it's also a clear indication of the sexual excitement between the two men.  It's interesting that a symbol can function simultaneously as two things (if not more than two things).

So, what's electricity's relationship to fire?  I think we're getting somewhere with the Newsome sign and the idea of Alma wanting Ennis to work for the electric company.  Also, is there a distinction between natural electricity (lightning vs. electricity harnessed by people)?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 01:00:18 am »
So, why is the storm during the motel scene omitted in the film?

I think there may be a couple reasons.

One is that the focus in the motel scene is very tight on Jack and Ennis. It isn't just that there's no storm. There are no clothes scattered around the room, no belt buckle, no telephone ringing in the other room... it's a brief moment where only Jack and Ennis exist. And I think we need to see them like that, intimate and separate from the world, because we don't get to see them like that again, except for that very brief glimpse in the tent during the last camping trip. It gives us something to regret, something to keep wanting to come back to.

(And before Jack arrives, I think AL made the right choice in focusing very much on Ennis, on letting Heath's acting carry the tension at that moment. Or shifting the tension to the flicking lighter, rather than to lightning.)

So, what's electricity's relationship to fire?

*raises eyebrows* Um, Electricity can start a fire? Lightning strikes can burn down an entire forest; bad wiring can burn down a house?

In terms of connecting the symbols directly in the movie, I don't know, other than electricity suggesting danger whereas a campfire seems warmer and homier to me.

(BTW, this made me think of the fire ecology of the lodgepole pines, in the ecosystem on Brokeback. Lodgepole pine cones only open when they are heated by a forest fire. So lodgepole forests tend to grow and mature, and then get wiped out completely by massive wildfires... caused in nature by lightning strikes. And then the cones open and germinate, and only then, after the destruction, are the new trees born. Kind of like a plant version of the phoenix. Don't know if that does anything for the symbolism, except that it's such a dramatic cycle.)

Also, is there a distinction between natural electricity (lightning vs. electricity harnessed by people)?

Well, as with the water, we've got the lightning on Brokeback, compared to the tame electricity in their domestic lives. But toasters and televisions just don't pack the thrill of lightning, you know? (I mean... ok, well, I have sat and watched a toaster before, but it isn't the same as sitting and watching a lightning storm.)

Electric carving knives don't quite do it in the thrill department, either. ;) Poor Alma. She craves electricity in her life, but doesn't realize that there's more to the world than appliances.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 07:58:18 am »

But toasters and televisions just don't pack the thrill of lightning, you know?

I've nothing insightful to add at the moment, but wanted to let you know that this absolutely cracked me up. Toasters don't pack the thrill of lightning - ROTFL  :laugh:

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2006, 09:13:41 pm »
 :laugh:

You're right!  BBM has certainly led us to some unique observations.  The toaster vs. lightning topic may be right up there with buckets and coffeepots.
 :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2006, 03:50:52 am »
From Mel:
Well, as with the water, we've got the lightning on Brokeback, compared to the tame electricity in their domestic lives.

This is not only true for water and electricity, but also on the larger scale, the underlying "bigger picture" (in lack of a better phrase). It's another way from Ang Lee to show us that:

Love is a force of nature - the four elements: fire, water, earth, air.

All those elements are tamed, a poor copy, in their life apart from each other, but at their full strength when they're together:

• Fire: Lightning storms vs. electricity
  • Water: Streams vs. water tap (faucet?)
  • Air: Storm vs. fans
  • Earth: beatutiful, wide landscapes vs. narrow houses, apartments and trailers

Just like their love is a force of nature: strong and uncontrollable ("this thing grabs onto us") for each other, but a poor copy, non-passionate, for their wifes.

Everything keeps coming back to the tagline. To me, the tagline first sounded like simplifiying things, almost like a cliché to promote the movie - but Ang Lee illustrated that's it's not.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 04:06:17 am by Penthesilea »

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2006, 07:59:19 am »
Love is a force of nature - the four elements: fire, water, earth, air.

All those elements are tamed, a poor copy, in their life apart from each other, but at their full strength when they're together:

• Fire: Lightning storms vs. electricity
  • Water: Streams vs. water tap (faucet?)
  • Air: Storm vs. fans
Just like their love is a force of nature: strong and uncontrollable ("this thing grabs onto us") for each other, but a poor copy, non-passionate, for their wifes.

Everything keeps coming back to the tagline. 
I loved this so much I had to repeat it. All I can say to it is: Yes, yes, yes!  :)

Katherine, thanks for explaining the electric carving knife analogy. Makes sense to me.

When it comes to the lack of lightning in the reunion scene, I completely agree with Mel about how the focus in the motel scene is very tight on Jack and Ennis. The focus on just the two of them, the outside world not visible, not making any appearance except through their words, is so effective that I hardly miss a brief opening shot from a couple of metres' distance to show the room in disarray and the guys on the bed. (Who am I kidding? I WOULD have liked to see this.  ::) ) But that scene remains one of my absolute favourites in the film. It's so unbelievably intimate. Anyway, I haven't been wondering about the outside world being near to non-existent in that scene - but I have wondered about that in the preceeding kitchen scene with Ennis, Jack and Alma as the guys take off for their motel night. That would have been the place where that distant lightning like a white sheet might have made an effectful appearance. Then again, it might have made for too obvious visual symbolism, not the ambiguous kind favoured by Ang Lee.

I think in that kitchen scene, the film's focus is mainly on Alma and her reaction, much more so than in the story - and hence the lightning outside, as well as the electric currents snapping between Ennis and Jack has been removed altogether or tamped down in the film - to leave the focus on Alma's reaction. (Compared to the description in the book, I do think especially JG is underplaying the visible impact on Jack, so much so that it has to be deliberate from director and actor both.)

There's another part of the short story where lightning makes an impression - this time by not  being present. It's during Jack and Ennis's last "fishing trip" together. Never the optimist, Ennis keeps looking out for clouds and stormy weather - and eventually it comes: "A bar of darkness driving wind before it and small flakes".  But conspicuously, for once in this lightning-riddled story there is no lightning. And in the very same paragraph the batteries on the transistor radio die. Hence, electricity, both in its wild untamed and domesticated versions, are absent from the scene. And though the story tells us that even so the brilliant charge between Ennis and Jack still is there, it also says that the charge is by then darkened.... by the sense of time fllying. Though the sparks still fly, what they have left by then is just a camp fire, those sparks flying up with their truths and lies..... A camp fire that will die down soon enough. 
The entire description of those last days, their last night together, has such a strong sense of foreboding, of light and heat dying and disappearing because the force, the power that feeds them is muted and dying down. Cold darkness is about to descend as a consequence.  :'(  It almost takes my breath away how much imagery and symbolism are packed into those few simple paragraphs.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 08:02:11 am by Mikaela »

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2006, 10:17:08 am »

Also, the rocky ground of the high ridges, the rocks in the creek, the rocks around the fire, vs the asphalt that Ennis spreads with Timmy. (Like the power company job that Ennis doesn't take, that's another job that involves the tame version of something from the mountain. Perhaps that's as much of a turn-off as Timmy's plumber's butt. ;) )

(Nice list of comparisons, Chrissi. I agree.)

The Nature metaphor could be easily overplayed, you know. There are all sorts of overly pastoral, idealized depictions of Nature as Good out there... and BBM (both story and movie) manages to use Nature as a metaphor without overdoing it.

Very impressive.
    Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
    • BetterMost Moderator
    • There's no reins on this one....
    « Reply #29 on: November 10, 2006, 12:40:50 pm »
    Penthesilea, I had never thought of "Love Is a Force of Nature" as being more than a marketing slogan til you pointed out how well it applies to the film.  Thanks!

Then again, it might have made for too obvious visual symbolism, not the ambiguous kind favoured by Ang Lee.

It may be an oversimplification, but this sounds like the most logical reason for the absence of lightning in that scene to me, too.

There's another part of the short story where lightning makes an impression - this time by not  being present. It's during Jack and Ennis's last "fishing trip" together. Never the optimist, Ennis keeps looking out for clouds and stormy weather - and eventually it comes: "A bar of darkness driving wind before it and small flakes".  But conspicuously, for once in this lightning-riddled story there is no lightning. And in the very same paragraph the batteries on the transistor radio die. Hence, electricity, both in its wild untamed and domesticated versions, are absent from the scene. And though the story tells us that even so the brilliant charge between Ennis and Jack still is there, it also says that the charge is by then darkened.... by the sense of time fllying. Though the sparks still fly, what they have left by then is just a camp fire, those sparks flying up with their truths and lies..... A camp fire that will die down soon enough.  The entire description of those last days, their last night together, has such a strong sense of foreboding, of light and heat dying and disappearing because the force, the power that feeds them is muted and dying down. Cold darkness is about to descend as a consequence.   It almost takes my breath away how much imagery and symbolism are packed into those few simple paragraphs.

Very nicely observed!  8)
    Ich bin ein Brokie...