Author Topic: fffffffzzzzzzzzzzzzzap! (lightning and electricity references)  (Read 14865 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: fffffffzzzzzzzzzzzzzap! (lightning and electricity references)
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2007, 02:56:01 am »
bump
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2007, 11:08:00 am »
Coming soon to a site near you, an account of my visit this month to Lightning Flat. And here's a little teaser:

The terrain we were passing through was rugged but beautiful in a stark way, like a rumpled quilt tossed over the bedrock, studded with rocks that must have rained down on the earth in some ancient volcanic blast. We often saw the silhouette of a ravaged twisted tree against the sky, obviously the victim of a lightning strike. Pressed between the heaving earth and the capricious sky, my ears began to hum and the hairs on my forearms stood on end. Would we make our visit to Lightning Flat safely, or would we incur the vengeance of Nature? I was energized by the idea and strangely devoid of fear, choosing to throw all my confidence to Destiny.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 12:38:04 pm »
I was thinking about this topic during Thanksgiving, when the old electric turkey slicer came out of the closet, hehe. Ang seemed to be saying that when you electrify a natural process, watch out for fireworks! That's what happened when the electric knife replaced Jack's paring knife that he used to peel potatoes while Ennis was stripping. Fireworks also happened when Jack's beat-with-a-stick in the stream method of laundering (and Alma's washboarding) was replaced with the electric washers and dryers in the laundromat.
"chewing gum and duct tape"