Author Topic: My New Hero  (Read 6757 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
My New Hero
« on: November 04, 2006, 08:56:53 am »
This is a must-see for everyone.  I mean *everyone*.  This man has some serious cajones.  And I seriously fear for his life.  I guess the Bush Administration can't just kill him - that would be too obvious even for them.  Still, I worry for him.  And love him dearly.

"Bush Owes Troops an Apology, Not Kerry" by Keith Olbermann.  Don't miss this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15519404/

No more beans!

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: My New Hero
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 10:32:56 am »
This is a must-see for everyone.  I mean *everyone*.  This man has some serious cajones.  And I seriously fear for his life.  I guess the Bush Administration can't just kill him - that would be too obvious even for them.  Still, I worry for him.  And love him dearly.

"Bush Owes Troops an Apology, Not Kerry" by Keith Olbermann.  Don't miss this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15519404/

Brooksville is the county seat where I reside in Florida.  Brooksville is named after Senator Preston Brooks,  the one they are talking about with the cane in this story.   My husband is a history buff and told me the story some time ago.  I haven't heard about it since until now..  Brooksville is a very old southern town.   To this day, there stands a statue of a confederate soldier in front of the courthouse and there is a huge Civil War mural painted on the side of one of the buildings.  Plus, there is a Civil War re-enactment every year of a battle that happened here.  The North wins the battle... *Cheers from the crowd!!!!* 

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 01:37:59 pm »
Great article.  Thanks for posting.  He is SOOOOOOOOO right.

But unfortunately for us, Kerry did say something stupid.

He opened his mouth and said something that could easily easily easily be turned around and used to the advantage of his opposing party.

This is politics.  It is a contact sport, it is muckraking at its worst.  Dubya and company have been spinning things from day one.  This is their modus operandi. For Kerry to forget this is headshaking.

I used to have a Washington Post article - I think I have it on my computer at work - that was printed during the election year that quoted Kerry, then gave Bush's spin on what he said.

It was never the same.

Kerry never protested this then, which infuriated me and he never protested this newest spin either, simply because he realized much too late that he hurt a lot of people who are sadly either truly not intelligent enough to follow Kerry's line of thought or are very ready to be offended.

Kerry needs to be very direct when he speaks - 'or like our President, end up in Iraq' and forget about subtleties.  The American newspapers are designed to be read by a person with a 6th grade education.  Many people watch television because reading and have to read between the lines is either too difficult or something they were never taught.

Subtleties are lost on most of America.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 01:39:32 pm by delalluvia »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 01:48:04 pm »
I'm starting to see it as a blessing in disguise, honestly.  I don't believe it hurt the Democratic Party enough to make a real dent in the election Tuesday.  In fact it did a good thing - it showed the Democratic Party that Kerry is *not* the answer, nor is Gore, and that to allow *either* of them to run again in 2008 and lose *again* would be a mistake of Biblical proportions.

Barb <--- thinks the answer is Obama Barack and wishes everyone else did, too
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 01:54:03 pm »
I haven't read that either Kerry or Gore are even being considered.  The gods forbid.  What a disaster all the way around that would be for so many reasons.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 02:09:37 pm by delalluvia »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 02:59:25 pm »
Doin' The Bump.

Check out the video if you can - well worth the five-minute length.  Particularly nausea-inducing is the actual videotape footage of Rush Limbaugh making fun of Michael J. Fox.  But it's most worth watching just to enjoy how really, sincerely angry Keith Olbermann is, God bless him.
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 04:09:49 pm »
How does he stay on mainstream TV?  "God (et al) bless him" is right.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 04:14:32 pm »
Barb <--- thinks the answer is Obama Barack and wishes everyone else did, too

Um, it's Barack Obama--and he could well be our first Black president. At the risk of sounding both offensive and more cynical than I am, I think he's ideal for that role, and one reason being that while his father was Black, his father was also an immigrant to the U.S. from Africa--which means that while Obama is Black, he is not personally--as in his own family background--burdened with the history of slavery, so that issue cannot be used against him.

And I have another new hero, too, at the moment--Mike Jones, the hustler who blew the whistle on that hypocritical Pharisee Ted Haggard.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 04:28:16 pm »
Um, it's Barack Obama--and he could well be our first Black president. At the risk of sounding both offensive and more cynical than I am, I think he's ideal for that role, and one reason being that while his father was Black, his father was also an immigrant to the U.S. from Africa--which means that while Obama is Black, he is not personally--as in his own family background--burdened with the history of slavery, so that issue cannot be used against him.

And I have another new hero, too, at the moment--Mike Jones, the hustler who blew the whistle on that hypocritical Pharisee Ted Haggard.

Good point about his father's immigration, thanks Jeff, I hadn't thought of that.  And I agree about Mike Jones.  And Neil Patrick Harris, who simply normalizes his life. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 05:01:38 pm »
Good point about his father's immigration, thanks Jeff, I hadn't thought of that.  And I agree about Mike Jones.  And Neil Patrick Harris, who simply normalizes his life. 

Thanks, Clarissa.

I'm not sure I phrased what I was trying to get at with regard to slavery and Barrack Obama's father's immigration particularly well, but I guess it came through. It won't be possible to accuse him of having a personal agenda with regard to slavery because his ancestors were not slaves in the U.S.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.