Author Topic: Doogie Howser, M.D came out of the closet  (Read 3385 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Doogie Howser, M.D came out of the closet
« on: November 04, 2006, 09:10:43 am »
According to People Magazine actor Neil Patrick Harris admited he is gay, and has been living openly as a gay man for quite some time.

EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris Tells PEOPLE He Is Gay

Neil Patrick Harris is gay – and wants to quell recent reports that he had denied it. The actor tells PEOPLE exclusively:

"The public eye has always been kind to me, and until recently I have been able to live a pretty normal life. Now it seems there is speculation and interest in my private life and relationships.

"So, rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love."

Harris, 33, currently stars in the CBS comedy How I Met Your Mother. He shot to fame in 1989 at age 16 when he played a teen-prodigy doctor on the hit Doogie Howser, M.D. "It was a very fast but wonderful education," he told PEOPLE in 1998.

After the show went off the air in 1993, he shook off his teen image with roles in the musicals Rent and Assassins and a wild turn as an unhinged version himself in the 2004 movie Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle.

"I'm enjoying my 30s," he told PEOPLE in 2004. "I feel like I know where I'm going. And I like where I'm going."

http://people.aol.com/people/article/0,26334,1554852,00.html

I don't like the way People Magazine conveyed the news. The headline seems written by a naive person: EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris Tells PEOPLE He Is Gay

Exclusive?  ???  but I'm glad ol' Doogie Howser came out. I hope other gay actors stop being afraid and follow suit.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Doogie Howser, M.D came out of the closet
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 02:04:17 pm »
Well, that was a long time coming.

Good for him, though.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 06:58:01 pm »
Yeah, it's one of the lead stories on CNN up there with mid-term election, Iraq, Haggard being forced out as pastor of 14,000 member New Life Chuch for sexually immoral behavior. 

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/11/04/doogie.ap/index.html

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 01:10:55 am »
I think he starred in an episode of Will & Grace as a 'reformed gay man' on one episode.  LOL.  :laugh:

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 01:21:07 am »
What an enormous contrast between Neil Patrick Harris and Ted Haggard.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 05:56:04 am »

I don't like the way People Magazine conveyed the news. The headline seems written by a naive person: EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris Tells PEOPLE He Is Gay

I agree with that. The headline hits the sensationalism note very loudly. Neil Patrick Harris has been quite open about his sexuality for a long time now. He's not shy about being seen in public with his man. I remember back during my college days in the early 90's seeing him at parties, being affectionate with his dates. It seems gay actors have to officially "come out". Living your life openly just isn't enough, I guess.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 07:16:36 pm »
Neil Patrick Harris has been quite open about his sexuality for a long time now. He's not shy about being seen in public with his man.

My brother used to work at Disney World, loading people on the 'Tower of Terror' ride. Neil Patrick Harris came through once, holding hands with his partner.

iluvchocolate

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 10:35:13 pm »
Hmmm Just wondering who paved the way for gay actors to "come out"?  Was it Ellen??  And why did people turn against Ellen when she came out?