Author Topic: Don't kill the messenger.  (Read 9101 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Don't kill the messenger.
« on: November 07, 2006, 06:12:29 pm »
I saw this posted on TOB.  THis is what Disc 2 shall contain.  Only 1 extra feature.  Disc 1 will have an extra feature added on as wel  NO DELETED SCENES, NO DIRECTORS COMMENTARY!   >:(   >:(

Here's the listing of the full contents.  I am now not in a good mood. Disc 1 will  have A GROUNDBREAKING SUCCESS (BBM as a cultural phenomena). Disc2 will all the extra features already in the DVD I have right now plus MUSIC FROM THE MOVIE.  Is there going to be a deluxe deluxe version in June/07.  I guess we will NEVER see the deleted scenes.    SAY IT AIN'T SO SAY IT AIN'T SO.   However the updated site at Universal says there will be POSTCARDS in the DVD and never before seen footage. I don't know if that means deleted scenes, but in what extra, GROUNDING SUCCESS.  You be the juge and read this.  THis is really bad P.R. for Universal. I wasn't expectin a script or something like that or a poster/wall calendar, but...  Can we write to Universal before it's a done deal?

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63131
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Brokeback Mountain (Collector’s Edition) for 23rd January 2007 priced at $26.98 SRP. Winner of three Academy Awards®, including Best Director, Ang Lee’s gripping drama is now being released as a 2-Disc Collector's Edition complete with all-new bonus features, never-before-seen footage and collectible packaging (including postcards).

Features on this two-disc set are as follows...

Disc 1: Main Feature
1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 & DTS 5.1 Surround
French DD5.1 Surround
Spanish DD2.0
English SDH, French & Spanish subtitles
A Groundbreaking Success

Disc 2: Extra Features (DVD5)
Music from the Mountain
Impressions From the Film (Still Gallery)
On Being a Cowboy
Directing from the Heart: Ang Lee
From Script to Screen: Interviews with Diana Ossana & Larry McMurtry
Sharing the Story: The Making of Brokeback Moutain

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Don't kill the messenger.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 06:17:12 pm »
 :( :( :( :o :( :( :o :(

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 06:20:15 pm »
Sounds like it's time to wait for the super-duper deluxe edition.....  ::) That still wouldn't make an impressive first edition release!
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 06:25:14 pm »
This sucks mightily.  >:(  >:(  >:(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 06:26:06 pm »
Well if you click on the link, read some of the comments that ppl have already left. The HK version (original release) has an extra interview with ANg Lee in Cantonese with no English subtitle.  IPW (username) already posted

"This forthcoming issue does of course leave the possibility of later issues entitled : 'Ultimate Edition', a Special Limited Edition' and a 'Directors Cut Edition'... "   
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are we suppose to wait around for a Director's Cut?  >:(

The article was posted 11/7, today.

horo35

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 07:19:32 pm »
Mmm..I wonder how reliable this link is.  One new ad I posted in another thread says all new bonus material. Doesn't seem to make sense making the first release content into a 2 disc set.  That would be probably a bigger rip off than the 1st release.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 07:34:14 pm by horo35 »

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 07:27:22 pm »
Here's the info on the Universal site (confirming all Kd's information):

http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/details.php?childId=36609
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 08:29:10 pm by LauraGigs »

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 07:32:41 pm »
This is what I was fucking afraid of.  "Never-before-seen footage" can mean anything, and it sounds like it's just some presentation on the success of BBM (not that we're not glad for the filmmakers).

And printing and packing the "souvenir postcards" is expensive. Geez, if you're going to spend $$, give us what we want!!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 07:34:52 pm »
**Clings on to hope that link is not reliable**

It just makes no sense to me for the collector's edition of this particular film not to have more material than is shown here. I mean, the film's fanbase may not be the biggest, but we sure are vocal and supportive and knowledgable and willing to part with some cash - don't we deserve something of better quality than that? And if that sounds too conceited, then doesn't the film itself deserve a proper in-depth release in any case, irrespective of supporters or detractors? It is the most honoured film of that year and many a year - the director, author, screenwriters and actors all are extremely proud of it and dedicated to it...... It's a high quality, grounddbreaking, beautiful film and it deserves more than this paltry edition seems to promise.

If this is the consequence of the Oscar horror, my contempt for the AMPAS has just increased another notch. I didn't think that was possible.

At a minimum there should be proper commentary tracks.

I'm so bummed.

But I'm not planning on killing the messenger though!  :o Thanks for letting us know, kd5000!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 07:39:07 pm »
How did Jack put it?

This is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation!   >:(