Author Topic: Don't kill the messenger.  (Read 9192 times)

horo35

Re: Don't kill the messenger.
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 11:20:52 am »
I've been thinking with all this info about a crappy 2nd release is it just me or is the marketing/merchandise for this movie absolutely horrible?  The 1st release was a underachieving DVD, the 2nd release sounds like a bigger, crappier rip off, the calendar is all grainy and was released in 2007 for a 2005 movie.  I mean I dont expect highly collectible toy action BBM playsets but I do expect better products for a movie that made so much money and had a huge fanbase! :-\

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 12:05:07 pm »
I've been thinking with all this info about a crappy 2nd release is it just me or is the marketing/merchandise for this movie absolutely horrible?  The 1st release was a underachieving DVD, the 2nd release sounds like a bigger, crappier rip off, the calendar is all grainy and was released in 2007 for a 2005 movie.  I mean I dont expect highly collectible toy action BBM playsets but I do expect better products for a movie that made so much money and had a huge fanbase! :-\

I agree Horo35.  I'm almost tempted to suggest that if the SE DVD in January doesn't have more stuff on it, we should all boycott buying it.  Send 'em a message, you know.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 12:22:49 pm »
is it just me or is the marketing/merchandise for this movie absolutely horrible?

It's not just you. I was disappointed in the first DVD's meagre and well-known bonus material. I'm even more dispappointed at this new one's possible rip-off quality. And as for other available products;

I've really been looking around for BBM merchandise, as I always try to vote with my wallet in terms of what film-related merchandise I buy and how many times I see a film in the theatre - cold cash is the only thing the studios care about and the only praise they'll listen to from audiences IMO. This has resulted in my currently owning Close Range, BBM in a separately published film tie-in booklet, Close Range translated to my own language, the BBM DVD, the soundtrack, and the BBM short story audio version. C'est tout. It's really not much.  :-\

During the EURO Brokie Meeting in September Becky showed us a booklet she'd bought off E-bay that had been published in connection with early publicity for the film in the USA and given to select reviewers etc. That booklet was absolutely, totally gorgeous and I can't for the life of me understand why it hasn't been published to be sold as a movie tie-in. They're missing an opportunity there, truly. I so would have loved to have that.

I also would have loved a thorough "making of the movie" book. Such books or booklets have been published for the crappiest of movies - why couldn't they have made one for BBM?

And as for the upcoming DVD, - no. If what we now know prove to be true, it's a pathetic marketing ploy not worthy of this beautiful film at all, and in all probability not something I'm ready to pay for.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 12:35:31 pm by Mikaela »

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 12:26:48 pm »
I'm almost tempted to suggest that if the SE DVD in January doesn't have more stuff on it, we should all boycott buying it.  Send 'em a message, you know.

Or, email Universal — or post our dissatisfaction to their comment boards or to Amazon's comment boards. They may interpret simple lack of sales to mean that their lack of investment in quality products for this film was the right step.  ("Interest in BBM has fizzled, so why should we bother with a better DVD?")

the calendar is all grainy . . .

Is that an official Universal product, Horo? I remember someone posting a link to the cover of it, and the Photoshop looked so godawful on the cover that I was like, "no effing way".
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 01:30:50 pm by LauraGigs »

horo35

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 12:33:01 pm »
Or, email Universal — or post our dissatisfaction to their comment boards or to Amazon's comment boards. They may interpret lack of sales to mean that their lack of investment in quality products for this film was the right step.  ("Interest in BBM has fizzled, so why should we bother with a better DVD?")

Is that an official Universal product, Horo? I remember someone posting a link to the cover of it, and the Photoshop looked so godawful on the cover that I was like, "no effing way".
Well for the calendar I'm basing it on a review at this link http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=5898.0
I myslef have not actually seen the calendar but should be getting it this week in the mail.  From that link, overall he really didn't sound too impressed over it.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 12:59:28 pm »
I have the calendar. It seems fine. I'm glad Lureen and Alma aren't in it.  Then again, I have NEVER bought a movie calender before, so I have nothing to judge it against. I had to order mine from AMazon.com as TLA sold out so fast. There now back in stock at TLA as I got an e-mail from them.  So there is substantial demand for this calendar.

Maybe latter in the year, they will come out with a high gloss BBM 2007 calendar, one with dates that are important anniversaries in the lives of the major characters.  A double-dip calendar so to speak. Maybe a talented member of this on-line community can produce one for sale.  :)

I am still upset about this news regarding the dvd.  WHO do you blame?  Eternal Sunshine (one of the few other DVDs I own made by FOCUS) was great in their intial issue.  It had director's commentary.  I don't think they had deleted scenes.  But they did double dip and I presume they would have it in Disc2.   Is Ang Lee that busy that he can't do director's commentary. What's the deal at Focus?  I mean NO deleted scenes...  Kate Winslet gave an excellant interview on the initial issue of Eternal Sunshine. What's Jake doing? Is HEath that busy? I hope the parties involved aren't trying to distance themselves from this film so soon. It made them, well the two lead actors were catipulated to a higher tier if not at Leo D levels. 

Is anyone here a member of the Dave McCullen (?sp) forum.  There so big.  I mean they took out an ad in VARIETY  after BBM lost the OSCARS. Maybe they have a plan.  Should we contact them?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 01:11:04 pm »
Maybe latter in the year, they will come out with a high gloss BBM 2007 calendar, one with dates that are important anniversaries in the lives of the major characters.  A double-dip calendar so to speak. Maybe a talented member of this on-line community can produce one for sale.  :)

What a great idea!  :D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2006, 05:33:38 pm »

During the EURO Brokie Meeting in September Becky showed us a booklet she'd bought off E-bay that had been published in connection with early publicity for the film in the USA and given to select reviewers etc. That booklet was absolutely, totally gorgeous and I can't for the life of me understand why it hasn't been published to be sold as a movie tie-in. They're missing an opportunity there, truly. I so would have loved to have that.

Aww, I remember that very fondly, too. The booklet was just f'in great. And it was so kind from Becky to bring it along and show it to all of us, together with her scrapbooks.
You're not alone, Mikaela, I'd love to have that booklet, too.

As for the DVD, I second third David's comment:
This is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation!   
But we can always hope.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2006, 06:00:34 pm »

Well as much as I am disappointed in this news, I am glad of one thing, at least I know now  not to look forward to buying this latest release, if it is all that this thread is saying it is (not!)  :-\.    At least I have found this info out early, vs having my hopes up until January!

What a damn shame that they are doing such a poor job of this.  I was soooo looking forward and had my fingers crossed big-time for the deleted scenes.

I thank you Messenger for letting us know about this.

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."