Author Topic: WOOOOO-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!  (Read 14475 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
WOOOOO-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
« on: November 08, 2006, 07:24:02 am »
At this hour, we have resoundingly taken back the House and - gasp - WE MIGHT HAVE THE SENATE, TOO!  We've taken four seats back, and Virginia and Montana's seats hang in the balance, with the Democratic challengers *leading* in each by a narrow margin.

Ennis, I guess, was sick o' the Republicans' dumbass missin'.

The rest of us were mad as hell, and we weren't gonna take it anymore.

Best of all, the Evil One, Rick Santorum, is GONE.  And by a landslide.  Thank you, Pennsylvania.   ;D
No more beans!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: WOOOOO-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 08:54:04 am »
Webb is squeeking by in Virginia, about 8,000 votes, and the absentees have not been counted. I have my fingers and toes crossed.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:26:43 am »
Yippee ti yi yo, git along little Bushies!  You know that "Compromise" will be your new home.... ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 10:38:53 am »
Yep.  Even George isn't thick enough to miss the message we've just sent him.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 11:30:59 am »
Best of all, the Evil One, Rick Santorum, is GONE.  And by a landslide.  Thank you, Pennsylvania.   ;D

You're welcome!

"Philadelphia" Jeff "Nasty" Wrangler.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 11:32:48 am »
You're welcome!

"Philadelphia" Jeff "Nasty" Wrangler.  ;D

:-*

*bows to Jeff and "Nasty" Pennsylvanians everywhere.*
No more beans!

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 12:21:23 pm »
Got my YEEE-HAAW! shirt on today, and am very very happy with the results of the election (I was calling voters till almost 9 pm last night, and got many "already voted" responses, so that was reassuring.

I'm eagerly awaiting the announcements about Virginia and Montana too. It's a good day to be a brokie! (which brings up the question, I wonder how Jack and Ennis would have voted...now there's a new topic! :D)

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 12:25:08 pm »
(which brings up the question, I wonder how Jack and Ennis would have voted...now there's a new topic! :D)

Well, we know Ennis had no use for "the fire and brimstone crowd."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 12:32:34 pm »
Well, I have mixed feelings. The good news is, in Colorado we have a democratic governor AND a democratic legislature. None of that Beauprez character who put me in a bah-humbug mood by speaking at my firstborn child's high school graduation! But the bad news is that our brave new domestic partnership bill didn't pass, and the definition-of-marriage amendment did. Bah! The Focus on the Family crowd won despite the Haggart affair, which might have actually hurt our chances rather than help them.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 12:45:42 pm »
our brave new domestic partnership bill didn't pass, and the definition-of-marriage amendment did. Bah!

Yes, and I can't freaking believe it, Lee! Especially that definition-of-marriage crap. Conservatism in Colorado always seemed to be the classical, government-out-of-out-business kind. I am really surprised by this.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 12:52:41 pm »
(which brings up the question, I wonder how Jack and Ennis would have voted...now there's a new topic! )

NewYears, I put that topic up a few days ago on the polls. Check it out!   ;D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 01:27:34 pm »
I'm eagerly awaiting the announcements about Virginia and Montana too.

It may be a long wait, judging from how past recounts have gone.  But not to worry.  The Senate is in the bag.  Our guys are ahead - in Montana by 2500 and in Virginia by 7000+.  And I just heard on NPR that the last time they did a recount in Virginia it was for Attorney General.  The Dem was ahead by a couple thousand votes and the Republican ordered a recount that took well into December and all it served to do was add 37 more votes to the loser's (and I mean that on a number of levels) tally.

It's *all* good.   ;D

I'm sorry to hear of the voting results in Colorado, but I take heart in the fact that Arizona voted against a gay marriage ban - the first state to do so - and that Idaho voted against a tough abortion law that the fundies were hoping would be contested had it won and go all the way to the Supreme Court, marshalling in an overturning of Roe v. Wade, and that Missouri voted for stem cell research.

I do believe the tide is turning, folks.  And not one moment too soon.

My next prediction - Bush is gonna cut Rummy's strings.  Maybe even at 1:00 today.  But if not today, soon.  Very soon.
No more beans!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 01:42:03 pm »
Well, I have mixed feelings. The good news is, in Colorado we have a democratic governor AND a democratic legislature. None of that Beauprez character who put me in a bah-humbug mood by speaking at my firstborn child's high school graduation! But the bad news is that our brave new domestic partnership bill didn't pass, and the definition-of-marriage amendment did. Bah! The Focus on the Family crowd won despite the Haggart affair, which might have actually hurt our chances rather than help them.

Ditto.

We've still got some pretty toxic people in office in the House (Musgrave, and that guy from Colorado Springs, at the very least, though I don't get CO news down here, so I don't know much about them), and in the Senate (Allard), but at least we have the less-toxic governor.

And, yeah, I think the Haggard affair probably hurt domestic partnership and gay marriage in Colorado, too. I was pretty stressed out by the tone of the stories I read, and worried that there might be more backlash from the anti-gay crowd than support from the people who voted Democrat.

And conservatism in Colorado may have traditionally been of the Libertarian sort, but it sure isn't right now. Republicans who don't tow the socially conservative line have been nearly run out of the party.

I thought it was South Dakota that decided not to ban abortions?
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 01:46:44 pm »
   the first state to do so - and that Idaho voted against a tough abortion law that the fundies were hoping would be contested had it won and go all the way to the Supreme Court, marshalling in an overturning of Roe v. Wade, and that Missouri voted for stem cell research.

And exactly how is killig babies a good thing?
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 01:54:37 pm »
Look -- the map of voting on Colorado's anti-gay-marriage amendment shows where the mountains are. Not exactly, but pretty darn close.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/states/CO/I/05/

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 01:59:23 pm »
And exactly how is killig babies a good thing?

When you take away a woman's right to choose except in the event that she'll die if she goes forward with the pregnancy, you force women who are the victims of rape and incest (or both, basically) to go out of state or do it illegally.

I won't argue with you, or anyone, about the issue of abortion itself.  It's highly-charged and emotional, and understandably so.  I have my own personal reasons for being very strongly pro-choice that I won't go into here, but I also deeply understand the way you and others of the same mind feel about it.  Basically, I look at it this way:  If you're against abortion, don't have one.  I think the best we all can do on this issue is to reach a common ground - that the best way to avoid abortions is to avoid unwanted pregnancy.  And the best way to avoid unwanted pregnancy is a whole other ball o' wax from which I will now giddily run away!
No more beans!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 02:05:55 pm »
Just heard the news: Donald Rumsfeld is about to resign. Bush will announce it in a couple of minutes.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 02:11:28 pm »
Just heard the news: Donald Rumsfeld is about to resign. Bush will announce it in a couple of minutes.

He just announced it.  He says, "It's time for new leadership in the Defense Department."  YA THINK???

I just thank all the stars in heaven he didn't think of this 24 hours ago.  It'd be an entirely different day today.  But now, it's not only a new day.  It's a new world.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 02:13:08 pm »
My next prediction - Bush is gonna cut Rummy's strings.  Maybe even at 1:00 today.  But if not today, soon.  Very soon.

Seems to me he oughtta cut more than his strings.

Call for Lorena Bobbitt?  ;D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 02:14:00 pm »
I thought it was South Dakota that decided not to ban abortions?

And you thought correctly.  Where in the Sam Hill did I get Idaho???  I must have been thinking about potatoes or something...   :P
No more beans!

Offline YaadPyar

WOOOOO-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Defense Secretary Rumsfeld Resigns
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 02:19:19 pm »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-rumsfeld,0,1335189.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed

Defense Secretary Rumsfeld Resigns

By PAULINE JELINEK
Associated Press Writer

November 8, 2006, 12:03 PM CST

WASHINGTON -- Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, architect of an unpopular war in Iraq, intends to resign after six stormy years at the Pentagon, Republican officials said Wednesday.

Officials said Robert Gates, former head of the CIA, would replace Rumsfeld.

The development occurred one day after midterm elections that cost Republicans control of the House, and possibly the Senate, as well. Surveys of voters at polling places said opposition to the war was a significant contributor to the Democratic victory.

President Bush was expected to announce Rumsfeld's departure and Gates' nomination at an afternoon news conference. Administration officials notified congressional officials in advance.

Last week, as he campaigned to save the Republican majority, Bush declared that Rumsfeld would remain at the Pentagon through the end of his term.

Rumsfeld, 74, was in his second tour of duty as defense chief. He first held the job a generation ago, when he was appointed by President Ford.

Gates is the president of Texas A&M University and a close friend of the Bush family. He served as CIA director for Bush's father from 1991 until 1993.

Gates first joined the CIA in 1966 and served in the intelligence community for more than a quarter century, under six presidents.

His nomination must be confirmed by the Senate.
Copyright © 2006, The Associated Press

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 02:27:03 pm »
Interesting, Mel. The mountain counties are not only high in altitude they are high in intellect! My county was pale pink but it's so populous that it might as well have been red. Look at all the strong marriage-definition voters over there by Kansas!!

And jpwagoneer, killing babies is not a good thing. Birthing babies into a life of poverty and discrimination is not a good thing. Killing Iraqis is not a good thing. Letting babies, or grown-ups die of starvation, disease, or warfare just because they happen to live in a third world nation is not a good thing.

Killing cute little baby deer is not a good thing. But mother deer abandon their offspring in my neighborhood, let them die, or even eat them because the area is overpopulated with deer. It is not a good thing, but it is something that has to be done.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 02:36:36 pm »
Lee, now, more than ever...

:-*
No more beans!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 02:57:19 pm »
It may be a long wait, judging from how past recounts have gone.  But not to worry.  The Senate is in the bag.  Our guys are ahead - in Montana by 2500 and in Virginia by 7000+.  And I just heard on NPR that the last time they did a recount in Virginia it was for Attorney General.  The Dem was ahead by a couple thousand votes and the Republican ordered a recount that took well into December and all it served to do was add 37 more votes to the loser's (and I mean that on a number of levels) tally.

The thing with Virginia is we have a LOT of military who have absentee ballots, the general thinking is most of these people are republican, but I tend to think of them as mostly minorities, which tend to vote democrat. It may take a while.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 03:05:55 pm »
The thing with Virginia is we have a LOT of military who have absentee ballots, the general thinking is most of these people are republican, but I tend to think of them as mostly minorities, which tend to vote democrat. It may take a while.

True.  But I can't believe there are enough of them who are Republicans *and* who voted Republican this time around to make up 7000+ votes.  I think they'll still be, as you imply, enough Democratic votes even so to balance it all out too much to even come close.

No more beans!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 03:48:57 pm »
Interesting, Mel. The mountain counties are not only high in altitude they are high in intellect! My county was pale pink but it's so populous that it might as well have been red. Look at all the strong marriage-definition voters over there by Kansas!!

Those almost-in-Kansas people would be the voters who re-elected Marilyn "let's change the constitution to ban gay marriage" Musgrave.

Think we ought to give Colorado Springs to Texas and the eastern 100 miles to Kansas and Nebraska? ;D Maybe give the NW corner of the state to Utah?

My county was split almost 50/50, but we're just a drop in the bucket. And although 50/50 is better than, say, Idaho's margin, it's not good enough.

As for abortion... I suspect that every abortion represents a tragedy that has already happened before the abortion was even considered. Better to work on keeping the tragedies from happening in the first place.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 03:57:44 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I have my moderator hat on for a moment -

My heart is warmed by the posts in this thread where people who disagree on some very emotionally-charged political issues are being courteous and understanding with each other while discussing those issues.  

Would that more of the country were like BetterMost - Instead of so much red and blue, we'd have a lot more purple.

Clarissa

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2006, 04:07:00 pm »
As for abortion... I suspect that every abortion represents a tragedy that has already happened before the abortion was even considered. Better to work on keeping the tragedies from happening in the first place.

I agree, Mel. Unfortunately, my unscientific impression is that the only answer to preventing the tragedy in the first place so often put forward by people who would ban abortion is to tell people, particularly young people, "Don't have sex."

As if that ever worked. ... (I mean telling people not to have sex.)  :-\

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2006, 04:20:09 pm »
As if that ever worked. ... (I mean telling people not to have sex.)  :-\

Exactly.  Let's face it - if it *did* work, there'd be no need for this discussion.
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2006, 04:31:37 pm »
Well, there is a long-term solution and that is education, affordable and easily accessible birth control tools, awareness training, and enabling for women. In all of the societies where women have the power, education, and tools, birth rates have gone down to sustainable levels.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2006, 04:38:11 pm »
I agree, Mel. Unfortunately, my unscientific impression is that the only answer to preventing the tragedy in the first place so often put forward by people who would ban abortion is to tell people, particularly young people, "Don't have sex."

Yeah. And the same groups also tend to disapprove of any kinds of sex that don't make too many babies.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2006, 04:57:56 pm »
Well, there is a long-term solution and that is education, affordable and easily accessible birth control tools, awareness training, and enabling for women. In all of the societies where women have the power, education, and tools, birth rates have gone down to sustainable levels.

No doubt, Lee. The trouble is that the so-called "right-to-life"/anti-abortion people, in my impression, also tend to be against the eminently sane and sensible program you've described, especially the birth control part, and their idea of "education" is to tell people, "Don't have sex."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2006, 05:07:27 pm »

Great set of "tools" for avoiding pregnancy.  And to it we can add homosexuality.  Not many gay and lesbian people have abortions.  :)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2006, 05:09:18 pm »
For Barb

VICTORY
DANCE!

I went into last night with a good feeling that Democrats will take the house.  As the night progressed (the few advantages of being on the west coast), it was getting better and better.  By the time I called it a night around 1am PST, it was very hopeful that democrats will not only take a house by a pretty substantial margin, but also the senate. 

If we could change the outcome of the senate race slightly, I would trade the Democrats win in Rode Island with the loss in Tennessee.  Lincoln Chafee unfortunate became the collateral damage of people’s dissatisfaction of the current administration and the war in Iraq.  He was the one who did not vote for the war and didn’t vote for Bush in 2004 (but wrote in Bush Sr. to show his loyalty to the party).  I respect him for being a moderate republican, and having the guts to say no to the war at the beginning when the political atmosphere was so toxic after 9/11 and any disagreement from the Bush administration was viewed unpatriotic.  The war is wrong on the principle it was operated on, period.    On the other hand, Harold Ford Jr. is a young man that has a brilliant political future.  I was really hoping he would win, but unfortunately he came off short.  His concession speech, IMO, is better than most of the victory speeches.   I am sure he will come back.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2006, 05:19:46 pm »
I should also add that my husband and I were laughing at ourselves for being so emotionally invested in the mid-term election when we don’t even have the right to vote.  Of course we shrugged our self criticism by saying since when does that stop us from having an opinion on anything.   Isn’t that a lot of people do, having an opinion on things that really none of their business?  ;)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2006, 06:05:37 pm »
Now, with Rumsfeld having "resigned," Hastert saying he won't pursue a Minority (HAHAHAHAHA) Leader post in the House, and Virginia and the Senate all but in the bag, I... I... I... feel like Jake has just asked me to the prom.

I'm so giddy, I don't see sleep as being an option tonight, either.  And I only had one cup of coffee today!

Say it with me, everyone:

NO. MORE. BEANS.

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.   8)
No more beans!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2006, 07:01:54 pm »
Lincoln Chafee unfortunate became the collateral damage of people’s dissatisfaction of the current administration and the war in Iraq.  He was the one who did not vote for the war and didn’t vote for Bush in 2004 (but wrote in Bush Sr. to show his loyalty to the party).  I respect him for being a moderate republican, and having the guts to say no to the war at the beginning when the political atmosphere was so toxic after 9/11 and any disagreement from the Bush administration was viewed unpatriotic.

He could have followed the same path that Jim Jeffords did, though, and become an Independent. The Republican Party hasn't had any room for the New England moderates for some time; they have used them to maintain their majority, but have not really given them any voice. Jeffords couldn't effectively represent Vermont when he was a Republican, and the other moderates really weren't giving their states much voice either. Perhaps Susan Collins of Maine (or Olympia Snowe, though she was just re-elected) will see the writing on the wall and give up being a RINO.

Really, this just completes the regional shift that has been going on in the South for some time, where many of the conservative "Dixiecrat" Democrats have been replaced by Republicans.

One other interesting shift: all of the Mountain states (except, I think, Idaho) are now represented by a mixture of Democrats and Republicans. This is a pretty major shift -- most of the states out here have been more or less solidly Republican for some time. Governors in Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona; new representatives in Arizona and Colorado (with a couple cliff-hanger elections in Wyoming and New Mexico that will probably barely go Republican); a new senator in Montana. Utah already had a Democrat representing one district; Nevada's got one Democratic senator. I'm curious what this means -- a demographic shift (liberal people moving to the mountains), an increase in voting amongst Latino voters, a change in attitudes, a sense that the extreme side of the Republican party doesn't represent the mountains very well, vote-splitting by Libertarians or other third parties?

(Maps, cause Mell likes maps:
governors http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/states/WY/H/01/index.html
senators http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/senate/
representatives http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/house/)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2006, 07:45:21 pm »
He could have followed the same path that Jim Jeffords did, though, and become an Independent. The Republican Party hasn't had any room for the New England moderates for some time; they have used them to maintain their majority, but have not really given them any voice.

True

If you look at Chaffee’s stand on issues such as Abortion, Gay rights, Environment, Death Penalty, Tax, Iraq, Health Coverage, and Gun Control.  He is more liberal than some of the newly elected Democratic senators, and of course alleged DINOs.  :)

It baffles me in terms of his party affiliation with Republic party, as the issues that he aligns with Republican are relatively minor compared with the ones that he disagrees with them. 

Though people should really vote on candidate's stand on issues not personality or party affiliation, in a two party system, the party affiliation is important as it gives one party control of the house and senate.  I guess that is where you can say ends justify the means.

One other interesting shift: all of the Mountain states (except, I think, Idaho) are now represented by a mixture of Democrats and Republicans...

Maps, cause Mell likes maps

Yes.  It’s so refreshing to see that blues are no longer as isolated islands in the red sea as it was for a very long time in that part of the country.  I hope democrat party can reach out more to the average John Doe and Jane Doe in the inland area and down in the south. 

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 07:58:48 pm by JennyC »

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: WOOOOO-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Defense Secretary Rumsfeld Resigns
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2006, 09:15:19 pm »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-rumsfeld,0,1335189.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed

Defense Secretary Rumsfeld Resigns

By PAULINE JELINEK
Associated Press Writer

November 8, 2006, 12:03 PM CST

WASHINGTON -- Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, architect of an unpopular war in Iraq, intends to resign after six stormy years at the Pentagon, Republican officials said Wednesday.

DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2006, 09:18:04 pm »
When you take away a woman's right to choose except in the event that she'll die if she goes forward with the pregnancy, you force women who are the victims of rape and incest (or both, basically) to go out of state or do it illegally.

I won't argue with you, or anyone, about the issue of abortion itself.  It's highly-charged and emotional, and understandably so.  I have my own personal reasons for being very strongly pro-choice that I won't go into here, but I also deeply understand the way you and others of the same mind feel about it.  Basically, I look at it this way:  If you're against abortion, don't have one.  I think the best we all can do on this issue is to reach a common ground - that the best way to avoid abortions is to avoid unwanted pregnancy.  And the best way to avoid unwanted pregnancy is a whole other ball o' wax from which I will now giddily run away!

Well said, Barb.  I've been a member of Planned Parenthood for a long time.  South Dakota was very worrisome, but after much to do, the people came out and spoke about what they did and didn't want.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2006, 03:15:55 am »

...thought maybe some of you might enjoy gazing at this...  thanks go to Prophecy Girl over at JakeWatch!   ;D

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2006, 04:34:16 pm »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/newsroom/chi-061109allen,0,2116874.story

Allen concedes, Democrats retake Congress

The Associated Press

November 9, 2006, 2:16 PM CST

U.S. Sen. George Allen conceded defeat Thursday in his re-election bid, sealing the Democrats' takeover of the Senate and concluding a dramatic fall for a one-time top-tier presidential contender.

Jim Webb claimed victory early Wednesday morning after election returns showed him with a narrow lead. Allen conceded at an afternoon news conference, saying the ``owners of government have spoken and I respect their decision.''

``The Bible teaches us there is a time and place for everything, and today I called and congratulated Jim Webb,'' he said.

The Republican chose not to demand a recount after initial canvassing of Tuesday's results failed to significantly alter Webb's lead of about 7,200 votes out of 2.37 million ballots cast. The results will not be official until they are certified by the State Board of Elections on Nov. 27.
Copyright © 2006, The Associated Press
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2006, 04:56:27 pm »
The Bible teaches us there is a time and place for everything, and today I called and congratulated Jim Webb.

::)

Hey, George:  Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.  In fact, let me give you a big push out of it.
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2006, 10:28:34 pm »
Love it, JakeTwist!!